309 members have voted

1. 1. Where are you at on the TV show?

• Love it
    • Like it
    • Neutral
    • Dislike it
    • Hate it

This poll is closed to new votes

Why would a station limit the number of episodes IF it's getting so many people watching?  (I'm not disputing the numbers)

Wouldn't more episodes bring more money in if it is a really popular series?

It would seem if you had a "HIT" on your hands you would milk it for every episode and season you could?

Let me be late for the discussions, and just say - poorly.

Lets start from the beginning. 

I) Names are the same, characters aren't.

Meaning what? As long it says Moraine or Lan, people are happy. But, what about Lan being a stoic, a warrior and protector? What about Moraine, having more mystery around her, more a teachers appeal? What about Lan and his fight against the shadow? About Perrin, his connection with wolf's, protecting nature? Rand, his connection with Lan, short. But, his connection with Tom? Mat, his inner demons? Egwein, her connection with family, and reasons why she moved? Nynaeve, her views on the world, fact that she didn't approve sex before marriage? I mean, so much questions. By the way, what about resurrection in the episode 8, or the fact that they are pushing Moraine to stay, as long the project last? And yes, storyline? Nynaeve can't be Dragon Reborn, because she is 2 years older. 2 episodes later? Maybe she is? A woman, not strong enough to be accepted in the White Tower, creates a circle a kills thousands of trolllocs. And your main protagonists? Shooting lasers from his hands. Rand is so poorly written, that I don't really see a point of him being in the season 2.  And yes, didn't they said that Sara Nakamura is in the production team... Doing what? Cookies I think.... 

1 hour ago, rowdie said:

Why would a station limit the number of episodes IF it's getting so many people watching?  (I'm not disputing the numbers)

Wouldn't more episodes bring more money in if it is a really popular series? 

It would seem if you had a "HIT" on your hands you would milk it for every episode and season you could?

More episodes doesn't necessarily equal better and more successful. Viewers may get turned away if there are too many episodes so they feel they can't "commit" to the series. While I want more episodes for WoT, I do understand this POV. For example it took me a really long time to start watching the West Wing because every time I considered it, I saw that S1 was over 20 episodes and thought "ugh, no thank you". I'm glad I finally did obviously and West Wing is an extreme example as it kept that episode length up through it's run, (though I don't think it's as good a series as many like to claim), but I think it's an understandable worry from a studio that viewers will be turned off by a longer series. 

39 minutes ago, notpropaganda73 said:

More episodes doesn't necessarily equal better and more successful. Viewers may get turned away if there are too many episodes so they feel they can't "commit" to the series. While I want more episodes for WoT, I do understand this POV. For example it took me a really long time to start watching the West Wing because every time I considered it, I saw that S1 was over 20 episodes and thought "ugh, no thank you". I'm glad I finally did obviously and West Wing is an extreme example as it kept that episode length up through it's run, (though I don't think it's as good a series as many like to claim), but I think it's an understandable worry from a studio that viewers will be turned off by a longer series. 

I’m sorry…But the audience share of those that refuse to watch a show because it has too many episodes must be negligible! 

41 minutes ago, Raal Gurniss said:

I’m sorry…But the audience share of those that refuse to watch a show because it has too many episodes must be negligible! 

I'm a little bemused by that as well.

If I'm watching good stuff I want more. 

Come to think of it...sounds like an argument for less seasons as well. What is another season but a continuation of more of the story?

I'm kinda pissed that it seems anymore productions get smaller and smaller. 

1 hour ago, Raal Gurniss said:

Why? Because it doesn't line up with your preconceived ideas of human behavior? Trust me, the people running the analytics know exactly what that number is and how to leverage it.

18 minutes ago, Gothic Flame said:

I'm a little bemused by that as well.

If I'm watching good stuff I want more. 

Come to think of it...sounds like an argument for less seasons as well. What is another season but a continuation of more of the story?

I'm kinda pissed that it seems anymore productions get smaller and smaller. 

To be clear I'm not really an advocate for this myself but it's pretty obvious as a trend throughout all series nowadays. Viewer "fatigue" is just one possible reason. I'm struggling to think of many that have longer runs outside of some comedies or procedural type shows. 

40 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Why? Because it doesn't line up with your preconceived ideas of human behavior? Trust me, the people running the analytics know exactly what that number is and how to leverage it.

It's not about what people want to watch, it's about the network's ability to secure actor's time and the creative team's ability to generate quality content across too many episodes.

8 minutes ago, Deviations said:

It's not about what people want to watch, it's about the network's ability to secure actor's time and the creative team's ability to generate quality content across too many episodes.

Not sure what you're talking about here.

It's about maximizing profitability. One of the data points for calculating that is # of episodes. And they spend tons of time, money and effort determining the 'sweet spot' for that based on an overwhelming amount of audience data. 

Now, do they often get it wrong? Sure. Because humans are predictable in their unpredictability. But there's no doubt that the decisions are driven by actual data not just 'gut feelings' about the best season length.

4 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

Ok the reverse is true, the vast majority of the audience share is put off watching  any show that has more than one episode that lasts longer than 2 minutes and 45 seconds.

Edited by Raal Gurniss

43 minutes ago, Terry05 said:

Not sure if you meant to share this one below displaying WoTs numbers?

Annotation 2022-01-12 095328.png

Can anyone provide an explanation of exactly what these posted demand vs market figures are actually calculated from?  

They are colorful and all, but what are they actually measuring and where is the supporting data being mined from?

18 hours ago, Lethira the second said:

I'm absolutely gutted they stopped Badali from selling the original rings, I have a silver one but would have loved a proper gold one.

Another of the casualties of this production is the original official merchandise and artwork that got stopped from production.  I managed to get myself a couple of the Tar Valon marks and some prints before the deadline.

They definitely missed a trick cutting the shawls, if they had been included and done well I can see they would have sold well.

I have a green shawl and an old Aes Sedai ring. 

Whether you like or dislike the show hopefully you'll find this thread helpful, at least if you have access to Twitter.  I think it directly speaks to a way that suggests you can dislike what the TV Show is while still respecting that the people involved with the show love Wheel of Time.  It is a 16 post thread fyi not just a 1 post (and I dont think I can post the entire thread).  

13 hours ago, nsmallw said:

In the books it was Rand's training with Lan that made him a good swordsman. And Rand dueled Turak not Suroth but I get your points, I don't see them making Rand's sword work a part of the show sadly

I really, really hope this is not the case, but I'm just not sure what the WOT team is planning. I'm encouraged by the fact that Rand carries Tam's heron-marked blade. If they wanted to ditch this plot point, why bother giving him the sword?

1 hour ago, EmreY said:

I must confess, I still find it difficult to understand why channellers should duel with swords.  Perhaps in extremis, but why else?

Similar to why a lot of people fence/kendo even the other sword techniques are trained in also.

Pre-breaking those that could channel had very long lives you are going to have hobbies and training in many things…Could have been as little as as a trend of that period.

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

It was a sport, and Demandred felt he was the best at it

5 minutes ago, Raal Gurniss said:

Similar to why a lot of people fence/kendo even the other sword techniques are trained in also.

Pre-breaking those that could channel had very long lives you are going to have hobbies and training in many things…Could have been as little as as a trend of that period.

Indeed, as sport.  But if Muhammad Ali had taken up playing tennis, if he later felt his life was threatened by Björn Borg wouldn't he have just knocked him out?