DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

.. but not in any of the trailers (that I've seen). Nor did any of the trailers show Lews Therin being "turned into" Dragonmount -- which I think that would make for an impressive bit of CGI to "show off", yes?

Instead the whole thing may start with Moiraine swearing her oaths**... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING!! (While it would be unfair to assume this from the trailers, it did look to me like she swore the oaths, Lan asked "Where to next?" and they headed off to the Two Rivers.) If THIS is how the show starts and not with the Prologue (like the GoT show did -- with its own equally-amazing prologue, I mean -- almost word for word) that's probably where I'll stop watching, grab TEOTW from my bookshelf and start watching my own rendition (for the sixth time).

Just thought I'd throw this out there,

D.

**/P.S. And if this is our introduction to Moiraine, we may even be deprived of Lan's dunking. (Another great sigh in a concerningly-growing list.)

I don't think they'll go the "creation of Dragonmount" route with the opening. And we know they are not using the prologue of tEotW to begin.

My guess is that the opening will be about Gitara's prophecy and the beginning of Moiraine's quest. Looks like we might also get the Blood Snow and Rand's birth - which would make for a pretty exciting first few minutes.

Lan's dunking - if we get it - will probably come via flashback. 

15 hours ago, danytancou said:

If THIS is how the show starts and not with the Prologue (like the GoT show did -- with its own equally-amazing prologue, I mean -- almost word for word) that's probably where I'll stop watching

in which case, i suggest you don't even start watching. we don't know exactly how much they changed, but we know for sure they changed a lot more than that. if your tolerance to change is so small, there's no way you'll ever like the show.

as for the prologue, it's divisive even among fans. some say it hooked them, some say it flabbergasted them. i think starting with something else - a sort of recap of what's the story is about - is a better choice.

35 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

in which case, i suggest you don't even start watching. we don't know exactly how much they changed, but we know for sure they changed a lot more than that. if your tolerance to change is so small, there's no way you'll ever like the show.

as for the prologue, it's divisive even among fans. some say it hooked them, some say it flabbergasted them. i think starting with something else - a sort of recap of what's the story is about - is a better choice.

And, the difference may be as simple as they show the LTT prologue as the second cold open or even as the closing scene of the first episode.

I find it funny that no one complains about the loss of the Raven's prologue to TEOTW.   I've speculated that they might incorporate Tam's speech from that in the first episode which then might establish some context for showing the LTT prologue later.   Structurally, it would make sense but they could certainly cut them both without losing too much overall.  

2 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

I never really cared for the prologue.  Didn't hate it, but wasn't in love either.

1 hour ago, TheDreadReader said:

I find it funny that no one complains about the loss of the Raven's prologue to TEOTW.   I've speculated that they might incorporate Tam's speech from that in the first episode which then might establish some context for showing the LTT prologue later.   Structurally, it would make sense but they could certainly cut them both without losing too much overall.  

Probably because a lot of people don't know or care.  I didn't know about it until a couple years ago.  Trying to make myself care enough to pick up the book for completion's sake.

I didn't like it on first read, but have come to love it since. I was disappointed they chose not to use it as the introduction to the series, but I understand why they decided so. 

I would have been very upset if they had included the Ravens prologue which I have always disliked extremely, maybe as you say bc I read it as a postscript 

Edited by Ralph

I didn't really understand it on the first read. I got that it was a flashback. And that someone was taunting someone who had gone crazy and killed his kids. So it hooked me.

But then, he was gone and we were talking about other people. And it didn't really come back into context for me until a few more books in. At which point, I only vaguely remembered it.

It was extremely powerful on the second read.

I guess I can see why they wouldn't open the show with it, though if I had it my way I would've like to see it open the show as an homage to the books. But I still hope we get to see it at some point as it is a very important scene. Pretty sure they've cast Lews Therin right? Would be neat if we get it later in the season, maybe the episode we find out who the Dragon Reborn is...my vision would be to open that episode with the prologue/creation of Dragonmount > smash to opening credits > opening shot pan from Dragonmount to Tar Valon

I think it's a great prologue, definitely confusing for a first time reader but when I was first reading the series I would go back every couple of books I finished and reread the prologue and I loved how more depth would be added the more we learn about the lore and LTT

I'm hoping we get the EotW prologue at some point. A cold open for S2 maybe. I really don't think we're getting anything like it season one. Or at least, not as the opening scene for the series. Maybe we'll get it in a different cold open even the first season. We'll see.

Edited by Agitel

I agree that the LTT scene would make more sense to show at a point in time when viewers are better able to understand it - somewhat similar to the timing of the LOTR films showing us Smeagol’s full backstory. 

There’s also a general trend for shows to more confidently mess with perspectives, flashbacks etc more as time goes on, as they feel they have garnered enough viewer trust that they can be confident viewers will stay on the journey with them - RJ himself was kind of guilty of this, with his cold open prologues getting longer and longer and showing more and more scenes of characters other than the key protagonists. So I would not be surprised if seasons 2 and onwards progressively play with more flashbacks, whether to the breaking or the AOL or whatever.

There is a reason the prologue was the prologue.

We’re not going to get it as a prologue to the show, and that’s a shame. The tragedy of LTT, his madness, the taint upon Saidin setting up the gender dichotomy, his reincarnation, a battle than spans ages - these are the things that set WOT apart from generic fantasy. The prologue tee’d all this up marvelously. It won’t have as much oomph if introduced later. But that’s sadly the way they’ve chosen to go.

Instead we’ll start with Gandalf - I mean Allanon - I mean Moiraine (but she a girl this time!!!) - heading to the Shire - I mean Shady Vale - I mean the Two Rivers.

49 minutes ago, Beidomon said:

We’re not going to get it as a prologue to the show, and that’s a shame. The tragedy of LTT, his madness, the taint upon Saidin setting up the gender dichotomy, his reincarnation, a battle than spans ages - these are the things that set WOT apart from generic fantasy. The prologue tee’d all this up marvelously. It won’t have as much oomph if introduced later. But that’s sadly the way they’ve chosen to go.

Instead we’ll start with Gandalf - I mean Allanon - I mean Moiraine (but she a girl this time!!!) - heading to the Shire - I mean Shady Vale - I mean the Two Rivers.

And yet somehow we will carry on.

1 hour ago, Beidomon said:

Tropes are tropes for a reason. They are the things that people expect. Wheel of Time as written by RJ was a deconstruction of fantasy tropes in the same way that Game of Thrones is an inversion of those tropes.

Besides, historical flashbacks as world building are also tropes. (The opening sequence of Fellowship of the Ring, for example). 

1 hour ago, Elder_Haman said:

Tropes are tropes for a reason. They are the things that people expect. Wheel of Time as written by RJ was a deconstruction of fantasy tropes in the same way that Game of Thrones is an inversion of those tropes.

Besides, historical flashbacks as world building are also tropes. (The opening sequence of Fellowship of the Ring, for example). 

They actually used a montage of flashbacks to start Fellowship, which is significantly different than the prologue. I’m not asking for anything close to a recap of the end of the AOL - and that is completely unnecessary. But the prologue really sets the stage with just one scene. 

The one other place I think I could get behind inserting the prologue would be as a cold open for the final episode of Season 1. Assuming the penultimate episode is what I expect: Rand’s explosive emergence at the Eye and TG. But I’m pretty sure we’re not getting it in Season 1, period. 

Edited by Beidomon

23 minutes ago, Beidomon said:

They actually used a montage of flashbacks to start Fellowship, which is significantly different than the prologue.

Right, but it's still a portrayal of an historical event used to provide worldbuilding exposition. This is really not an unusual feature of fantasy anymore, though it was pretty fresh at the time tEotW was written.