DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E7: The Dark Along the Ways

SinisterDeath

6 minutes ago, ArrylT said:

Personally  I think there was no love triangle.    I think it was a combination of 2 things

1 - Perrin loves Egwene, not romantically, but a lot of people  especially younger find it hard to properly develop their emotions.   So trying to balance the fact that Egwene is very attractive with being fond for her as a person can easily be mistaken as puppy love.  But once Perrin met / developed feelings for Laila he realized what love really was.  However, no matter what he still cares for Egwene, and I really felt that while re-reading EOTW.

2 - The show deciding to play this up for a variety of reasons

(a) of course Rand as confused as he is by all the different emotions & events is going to jump at the simplest explanation (when emotions are so complex)

(b) it adds to all the reasons why Rand & Egwene will never work - one of the epic what could never bes of fiction imo.

(c) A lot of people love extra drama in their shows, so having it nudged in this direction to give them some extra sprinkles on their ice cream

(d) who knows maybe this will be added benefit for when Perrin & Rand fake fight (more than once?) later on 

But that is just how I see it.    

This is well thought out and make sense with Perrins "I have only ever loved my wife"

My reactions are very similar to others, so I'll just include a few highlights:

Loved:

*Blood Snow!!! Favorite cold open.

*Loial in the Ways, esp when he starts to describe worse things than falling into a bottomless pit and Rand stops him ?

*Lan and Nynaeve--their relationship has really been resonating with me this entire season

*Rewatching the episode and watching Rand's reactions knowing that he was coming to terms with the fact that he is the DR the whole episode

*Uno swearing

*Min being more forthcoming with Rand than with Moiraine

Didn't love a few things that others have already pointed out: e.g. changes to Agelmar, and also the Perrin-Rand-Egwene love triangle (like others, I just don't get the point). But these didn't interfere with my overall enjoyment of the episode!

Edited by Seraphine
typos

ok this was my favorite episode thus far ... and a fresh breath after the last one 
1 - I agree about the Blight - but we shall see
2 - when Moraine suck the Reds on Mat it actually made sense ... because they WONT bond a man ... ya ,... harsh thing to do but makes sense (I didn't even think about it ramping up the desire for the foxhead medallion - if that's where they are going I am a huge fan)
3 - MORE LOIAL DAMNIT !!!!
4 - I saw the budding of this love triangle thing back in episode 2 or 3 (cant remember which one for sure) but tbh there's nothing ... I took a lot of the defensive Perrin stuff as being Wolf Loyal which I do like 
5a - the ways ... eh sure I suppose ... I mean they are not used THAT much anyways ... 
5b - Machin Shin .... Meh ?
6 Min - didn't Hate her ... but at the same time ... time will tell
7 Finally we got over the whole Female Dragon / multi headed Crap - I just hope the show can survive the onslaught of the twitterverse

8 Lanyneve - felt accelerated to me ... but didnt hate it 
9 I don't remember a lot of fal dara from the book ... but didn't Uno swear worse than a drunken sailor even in book 1 ?
10 - NYNEAVE BRAID TUG !!!!!!!

and finally - was it just me or was the sound editing really off in this epiosode - Im likely gonna watch some of it on a different unit just to see if it was my setup or not but Im just curious

Last thoughts of the night (in part inspired by ruminating on Perrin/Egwene)

I think that is part of what the show is doing so well.   Its doing its best to make slight adjustments so as to keep all of us guessing.   If you're watching with a non-reader you cannot really spoil it by saying we're going to A to B to C to D to E using X Y & Z because boom the show does A to C, back to B, then E with a nod at D using Y X & W.  

Instead probably some of them are trying to hold in a chuckle while some book readers pull out their hair at "Perring / Egwene?!"

Because we're seeing it time and time again to the point that it is getting some people to make predictions that simply are not keeping in with the heart & spine of WoT (imho) like Tam killing Tigraine or even Rand not being the DR.   Basically it has got people guessing and that is exactly what a good show wants.  It wants you to have faith, while keeping you on the edge of your seat.

If everyone knew exactly how to connect the dots, fill in the puzzle then yes it has a great feel of familiarity to it - but how many new fans are really going to enjoy watching Book fans paint by numbers?

That is why I usually wait for a movie/show to become a vague fond memory before I watch it again.

Instead, for those that enjoy it, we're getting the same tapestry, just woven differently, shown at different angles, with some unexpected alterations, being framed & highlighted differently.  But when it is done it is still the same magnificent piece of artwork.

I doubt many people will agree and that is fine by me but I've decided

WoT Season 1 is now greater than GOT S1.   

Yes it has its flaws (but the next perfect show/movie will be the first).  Yes it needs work, yes the pacing still can be improved, the dialogue still clunks once in a while.    But does any of that distract from my enjoyment?  Nope not anymore (especially since I see constant signs of improvement and have faith it will keep getting better in S2).

Am I always going to be a little disappointed certain small scenes or events I had attachment to, did not make it in?   Yep.    But does any of that distract from my enjoyment?  Nope not at all.

GOT may be the cultural water cooler fantasy show of all time - and that is ok.

WOT doesnt get all the benefits GOT got 

Spoiler

Multiple attempts to prepare S1,  no pandemic interference,  First impression,  Something completely new, etc

For such a massive epic world filled with so many contradictions, diversity, complications, changes in direction, changes in arc,  and with so much expectations on it

WoT is succeeding for me.

And I find that is one of the benefits of accepting.   Once you've accepted something, you can start to love it and once you start to love it you can still be constructively critical of it while still enjoying it. 

I think we all love the book series, but had parts we didnt really enjoy, or get, or understand, or appreciate, but we trusted the books to get us to the end.  And eventually it did, and (for me) the wait was worth it.  And when it is firing on all cylinders words cannot express what we felt.     

And now I get to do it all again with the Show, as it gets better & better.   The Dark One has lost - He/She/They just doesnt know it yet.   ?

Edited by ArrylT
minor edit

Yeah, the "love triangle" was really just a misreading of the situation by Nynaeve (and then Rand, because Nynaeve...). It's actually quite telling of how disconnected she is from the younger Emond's Fielders to misread the situation as badly as she did. I think this makes her moments with Lan stronger in contrast. But as mentioned above, Perrin was very adamant about who he romantically loved, and it ain't Egwene.

Edited by VooDooNut
spelling

The opening was great. 

Moiraine sent the Red Ajah after Mat. Damn, she's cold.

The Ways were pretty cool.  Machin Shin was definitely different than in the books, although I liked the way it reflected your own thoughts back at you in it's maddening way.

Seeing Fain in there was a cool scene.

Fal Dara was fabulous.

Showing the Rand channeling flashbacks was nice.

The flashback to the fever dream.  Finally.

I thought the Blight looked pretty good.  It gave me a, "blood and ashes", feel just thinking about walking through it.

One scene that jumps out at me thinking on it more is when Moiraine is telling them the risks and says "I dont want you to die, any of you"... she thinks she and Lan are going to their deaths, too. So when Rand comes to her and says "it's me", she thinks she can spare Lan's life by leaving him behind. He's formed a bond (er, metaphorically) with Nynaeve, and that should keep him alive past her death until Nynaeve is trained enough to warder bond him. "I like her, you know. The Wisdom."

4 hours ago, MasterAblar said:

- They're cutting corners with Nyneave being able to do what she's doing there but let's see where it goes particularly concerning her block

- Loved everything about Min to be honest, thought she was fantastic

- Lan flash stepping behind Nyneave. I like I like.

Overall my only big complaint in the episode is the whole Rand, Perrin, Egwene triangle which....yuck. I'm not even sure what the point of that drama is considering there's plenty of tension already. Only thing I can think of is to give Perrin something to work with for now. But meh I don't like it.

Fully agree with all of these, the positive and the negative ... also the reference to the 'block' - now *that* will be interesting, if they choose to give it its due ... Zoe would have a *field day* acting out that frustration

4 hours ago, JaimAybara said:

Blood snow - was pretty sick, and the veil was up but took it off to breathe better during contractions/tired from battle so it didn’t bother me. I loved it for Tigraine that was awesome. 

Loial- bless your heart Brother Book. I love you on screen, so stop taking his development and giving it away. Man, does he shine when given screen time. Give me more Loial. 

Padan Fain- I really like how they did this. Great job. He was always lurking and still is. 

Tugged her braid!!! It happened!!! Finally!!! 

Lan - Proper title. Heartfelt backstory. Good development between him and Nynaeve. Got a good tracking joke in there. “King without a kingdom.” These two are the best adaptations in my opinion. 

Moiraine- she’s great, but don’t give Loial’s development to her. Not excited she opened the ways, took away from him, she’s already slaying it. Did great this episode too for when she was there.

Egwene- Feels like Egwene. Not mad, didn’t get a ton of her own development but nice shared moments. She also does feel super indecisive. Didn’t like the love triangle stuff.

One of my favorite episodes. That could be inflated simply because Rand finally got a fair shake, but it was a long wait  and I think it will make people mad in multiple camps.

... all of the excerpts I included above, are pretty much what I would have said - especially the last one - that was my *favorite* ep thus far. Well-explained, no need for me to re-write the same. ? 

3 hours ago, Agitel said:

I wonder if some last minute rewrites impacted Perrin's arc a lot this episode, among other things.

I can't say I'm a fan of Perrin's love triangle arc. I'm not sure I see how that goes anywhere or sets anything up. Otherwise I did enjoy the episode.

That's also the question I had. Where are they *going* with that? Rafe included and fridged the wife character for a reason - I disagree with it completely, but it was actually 'because this reason'. ... but what's the 'reason' here for messing with this guy's backstory a *second* time??

Many have said it. I believe Eg and Perrins assertations there was no love triangle. 

I think that was to highlight another aspect where "wisdom" may very well be something Nyn lacks at times.

Also, will someone please.

Teach the boy to use a sword... jeeze lol.

What do you want to do? Arrow the DO to death? lol

I mean I know it also sounds silly to attack the literal devil with a sword but...Options man, Options!

1 minute ago, CaddySedai said:

Many have said it. I believe Eg and Perrins assertations there was no love triangle. 

I think that was to highlight another aspect where "wisdom" may very well be something Nyn lacks at times.

Also the accusation might a colour to his frustration about a similar situation arising in future.

3 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

Upon a second rewatch, it's pretty clear that Nynaeve is first misled during their time in The Ways when Egwene and Rand cuddle up. Perrin is sad in the next shot, not out of jealously, but out of mourning for his wife and I'm sure remembering similar moments he and his wife shared. Then later in the episode Nynaeve charges forward thinking she's cracked the case and puts her foot in her mouth. Classic Nynaeve. ?

Really enjoyed the episode and I only have one question.

So Rand shows up to Moiraine’s room and is just like “it me” and Moiraine’s just like “aight let’s go.”  

Did I miss something from earlier in the episode or is the audience just meant to not read too much into it. Seems like Moiraine would want to know for sure that it’s him before rushing away with him to what could be both their deaths. 

23 minutes ago, Chivalry said:

I really like Lan, even the kinder, gentler version of him. But whenever Lan goes to sleep, something happens. Warders commit suicide, his AS ditches him. DUDE, you've got one job, pay attention!

Lol the poor guy can’t catch a break. I made the assumption that Moiraine masked their bond to give him privacy with Nyn and he didn’t think much of it until he woke up and couldn’t find her.

Edited by Therese Sedai
Formatting

3 hours ago, Whittle said:

Rather liked this episode. It’s obvious to me the SFX budget for a TV show just isn’t adequate to pull off some

of the really cool stuff from the books like The Ways. A feature film

budget is needed. It looks cheesy

... normally, I might agree with that general assessment - but Amazon is reportedly spending *10 million US Dollars* per episode. They literally *built* the Two Rivers township, only to (again, literally) burn it down. They literally *built* the Shadar Logoth set ... etc. No, the money is there. ... but that likely means you'll be even more disappointed with the 'cheesy' that you see. I feel differently, no offense