DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E7: The Dark Along the Ways

SinisterDeath

First reactions

Blood snow. Blood and ashes. Reflexively put both hands on top of my head and couldn't take them off. Finally got the Heron mark payoff

Moiraine did Mat dirty by calling in the Red Body Shawtys and Sister Strongjaws. Maybe it's a deeper play that I missed on the first watch

The actual time in the Ways was meh and I still don't have a feel for how they actually work.

Like what they did with Machin Shin and what everyone heard

Tam and Rand! Fever Dream!

Rand Egwene Perrin traingle not my favorite

Uno!

4 minutes ago, flinn said:

If it stays the same as in the books, Padan Fain brought the trollocs to Two Rivers so he had to have access to the ways to have brought them in the tv show.

Fain came by wagon.

Edited by Sabio

2 minutes ago, elteryon said:

Moiraine did Mat dirty by calling in the Red Body Shawtys and Sister Strongjaws. Maybe it's a deeper play that I missed on the first watch

Some think this is to build up Mat's mistrust of Aes Sedai later.  If the Reds use the power on him it will add to his wanting to be free of Aes Sedai later.

3 minutes ago, Sabio said:

Fain came by wagon.

After captured at Fal Dara he says he brought the trollocs. Maybe he went to the waygate to let them in at night or something. Maybe he was lying.

from the wiki...

Dark One's Hound

Sometime in 996 NE he was chosen for a special task: to seek the Dragon Reborn. He journeyed to Shayol Ghul and met Ba'alzamon, who gave him dark powers to aid in his hunt. In 997 NE, he journeyed back to Shayol Ghul and his mind was "distilled" of his findings. By 998 NE, given the special ability to track the ones he was seeking, he had narrowed his search to three boys from Emond's Field: Rand al'Thor, Matrim Cauthon and Perrin Aybara. With this certainty in mind, he brought Trollocs and Myrddraal to Emond's Field on Winternight.

Edited by flinn

Just now, flinn said:

After captured at Fal Dara he says he brought the trollocs. Maybe he went to the waygate to let them in at night or something. Maybe he was lying.

Ughh trying to remember now, I think his job was to mark the boys for the Fade.  It was because of the information he provided that the Trollocs were there, so maybe that is what they mean.  It's been awhile so not sure.  All I remember is he killed the owner of the place where the waygate in Caemlyn was and followed them to Fal Dara,

Rather liked this episode. It’s obvious to me the SFX budget for a TV show just isn’t adequate to pull off some

of the really cool stuff from the books like The Ways. A feature film

budget is needed. It looks cheesy but I liked how they portrayed Machin Shin with it playing on their fears. Love triangle was unnecessary and dumb. And the guy playing Perrin is terrible. Granted he hasn’t been given shit to work with. This episode was faithful enough to the spirit of the books to keep me for one more episode. So far that’s been the show’s MO. A good episode or 2 followed by a stinker. Just very uneven to this point.

Guest Wolfbrother31
49 minutes ago, lsm said:

was there any hints on how Padan Fain got into the ways? Was it one of the forsaken we saw in the lightning flash in the ways where Loial was figuring out the guide post?

No. If you pause at 14:09 ... It's Fain that we see in the flash. So, no, still no explanation of how he's following them. 

Also doesnt make a lot of sense that he brought... 1 Trolloc to attack them? 

2 hours ago, Meskell said:

Tigraine being able to take out every soldier on the planet despite being literally in Labour and having been stabbed. We get it, she’s a baller but this is going to make the other Maidens look incompetent. 

The concept of a character being able to exceed normal limits under extreme stress circumstances is a familiar fantasy trope (and also used in real world dramas at times).  How realistic it is in absolute terms is not relevant - it is in line with the genre.

A feral domestic cat was almost willing to attack me (a very large fully grown adult) in defense of her kittens I found in my shed - and probably would have done if she was not aware a human was not likely to harm them and if they had not been fully viable on their own.

38 minutes ago, TheDreadReader said:

There's a picture floating around of Padan Fain holding a trifoil shaped stone.

---

It's 4am and I couldn't sleep so watched it... can't articulate thoughts. Will try again in the morning

All I want to say for now is TAM AL'THOR IS STILL A STAND UP GUY!

Can't believe people even entertained the idea he'd kill Shaiel in the predictions thread.

Edited by DermidAjala

5 minutes ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

No. If you pause at 14:09 ... It's Fain that we see in the flash. So, no, still no explanation of how he's following them. 

Also doesnt make a lot of sense that he brought... 1 Trolloc to attack them? 

If the intent was to get one of the party to channel and draw Machin Shin then mission accomplished. 

More Trollocs would have been nice yes but that one served its purposes (for me) both in story & setting up the reveal.

2 hours ago, Meskell said:

Moiraine accusing Mat of being inherently evil basically due to his upbringing was a bit much. Then sending the red ajah after him, give me a break. 

In line with the worlds default misandry and a smart tactical move to divert the resources of this faction to a red herring.   She may also trust that Mat is basically slippery enough (and paranoid enough from exposure to the dagger) to give them the run around.

6 minutes ago, DermidAjala said:

Can't believe people even entertained the idea he'd kill Shaiel in the predictions thread.

They had Perin kill his wife, so I wouldn't say it was totally out of the realm of possibility they could have changed Tam finding Rand to Tam accidently killing his mom.

Edited by Sabio

And that image there conforms to what I suspect. 

Aes Sedai may not know - or may not have access to the angreal. So they channel to open the waygates. 

But that the ancient Aes Sedai - being nit silly - made ways to use the Ways accessible to those without the power. 

2 minutes ago, bringbackthomsmoustache said:

In line with the worlds default misandry and a smart tactical move to divert the resources of this faction to a red herring.   She may also trust that Mat is basically slippery enough (and paranoid enough from exposure to the dagger) to give them the run around.

Not his necessarily his uprbinging, she said Mat has darkness in him which is why he was drawn to the dagger.  Plus she thinks the dagger has left a taint in him.

1 minute ago, ArrylT said:

More Trollocs would have been nice yes but that one served its purposes (for me) both in story & setting up the reveal.

My assumption was that it was just a mad trolloc lost in the ways - a substitute for the dead ones they come across in the books and that Fain was unrelated to it (instead doing a creepier version of his endless pursuit)

I was pretty down on the last 2 episodes but I actually really liked this one, it was my second favourite after Episode 4.

• Moiraine siccing the Red Ajah on Mat, wow! Boy will they be frustrated when they 'gentle' him to no effect! ? Did not like the 'inherent evil' implication, hopefully she will be shown to be wrong
  • Rand promising to be Egwene's Warder ?
  • Kinda wish we got longer in the Ways but I guess it could have been quite boring... no explanation about how they were corrupted
  • I like Min's worldly vibe, felt true to the books to me
  • YAY fever dream
  • So in character for Rand to go off on his own though I was surprised he took Moiraine with him... also in character for him to subconsciously suspect throughout the season, but be in denial... and the moment when it truly puts his friends at risk, he's finally able to face up to it
  • Depiction of the Blight was a not good surprise... a bit too Sleeping Beauty's Castle for me
  • Omg the moment when Nynaeve realises how much she has in common with Lan (their families being slaughtered) ?
  • Cool interpretation of how the Black Wind might 'feed' on people
  • Siuan being Moiraine's downfall... what are they doing with Moiraine's arc?! I'm worried
  • Did not like the Perrin/Rand/Egwene love triangle thing, seems out of place and totally unnecessary, too much of a 'teenage drama' plot
  • Grrrrrrr they ruined Agelmar's character ?
  • Fantastic introduction to Far Dareis Mai (and the Aiel, for that matter). So cool to see the scene enacted since we only get it secondhand in the books.

I was freaking OUT during the first Blood Snow scene. I love how over the top the fighting was, it contrasts with what we've seen before and really makes Aeil trained fighting stand out. Also made his birth even more miraculous and special. 

Nyneave's second power moment!! I mean, kinda cheesy...but I am loving the extra attention she's getting in this series. I'm biased cause she's my fav character. The shielding weave was beautiful. 

The acceleration of Lan and Nynaeve is kinda hard for me to follow. Not because I don't love it...but because it made me scream like I was back in grade school and blush and shake and jump up and down...and that's tough to accept. >_<  Also, shirtless Lan? Someone get me a fan......?

The love confusion thing between Rand/Perrin/Eqwene was a little off putting. Didn't' really feel right. I sure hope they do more for Perrin's character development in the next season. 

Moraine and Rand ditching to go be hero's and self sacrifice? Totally in character. Those two should have been grounded. I hope the rest of the group catches up and gives them a good tongue lashing. 

The blight: I've seen worse in winter when southern kudzu dies out and leaves a thick vine wall. Really looks the same and not at all scary. There was even green moss growing.....but the human skull in the tree? That was nifty and creepy. 

I'm afraid there won't be any Ogier/Nym scene with how thins are going. I really hope they don't leave him behind. =[

Yes. Yes! Yessss!

• BLOOD SNOW. That was awesome. Tigraine absolutely killing it (this wasn't suppose to be a pun lol), in active labor... total badass. Wife's comment: "that knife wound probably hurt less than the contractions"
  • Obviously a little forced/rushed with Mat but I thought they did a solid job with it. You gotta play the hand you're dealt
  • So we got SOME Ways backstory, about how they use to be. Would've liked a little more but acceptable for now. Gonna want more in the future though!
  • Perrin with the sharp eyesight!
  • The damaged guidestone!
  • Trolloc in the Ways! Eg* with the instinctive channel. Enjoy falling in an endless void for all eternity!
  • Hi Padan Fain you creepy SOB
  • Machin Shin is here! As someone that's listened to the audiobooks recently I definitely approve the auditory change, targeting each person individually; the book Black Wind speech is, uh, not super great in the audiobook. Some sort of change was necessary, and I liked this. The visual is fine.
  • Targeting each person to make them all insecure and suck out their souls: smart. Miscalculating and making Nynaeve angry: dumb
  • Fal Dara looks awesome
  • Dai Shan!
  • UNO!!!
  • I like that we're getting some miscommunication here, in the scene with Angelmar and Moiraine. Cleared up, sure, but still!
  • Bloody hell Moiraine. Absolutely vicious. Poor Mat ?
  • More Fain!
  • MIN! So great to see her here in action. Viewings!! Gonna need to freeze it on the rewatch but that baby Rand holds totally looks like her, yes? "Like any other baby", uh huh...
  • Moiraine actually being upfront with the kids about the risks. Good job
  • Oof, conversation turned ugly, and Nynaeve here spilling all the tea
  • Nynaeve "tracking" Lan. Lan does not fail his perception check this time. Love their banter
  • Is that a still living Bukama?? Or am I forgetting another Malkieri who carried Lan out on his back?
  • Also, jumping ahead a little, LAN BACKSTORY HECK YES
  • Rand and Egwene convo has a lot of great lines. "I was waiting for you to come apologize for an hour". Wife's comment: "Rand knows he's the Dragon Reborn"**
  • Didn't think the Wisdom had it in her. Good for her!
  • Flame and the Void, even if not named, aiding that archery
  • FLASHBACK REVEAL. Tam's fever dream ramblings, breaking down the door in E3, and *TOSSING THE TROLLOC OFF THE EDGE, I actually did not see THAT coming. Wife's comment: I CALLED IT!
  • Min and Rand having a more private chat is nice. Gonna have to break down all of Min's comments aboutnher viewings. FIRE UP THE FAQ AGAIN!
  • More seriously, I absolutely love having kid!Min see Tam and baby!Rand in TV. So she's about Nynaeve's age in the show then?
  • So glad to see Tam help Tigraine. There was, ah, concern in the preview thread that Tam would have been the one to land the killing blow. Not our Good Dad!
  • Eg teasing Nynaeve was fun. And then Perrin walks in and *awkward turtle hand gesture*
  • Loved the knocking on the door cut. It's a classic and I suspected it was coming, but they still got me! Clever editors
  • "It's me" and Moiraine trying to keep the despair off her face, "ah damn it's not the girl"
  • We also see the appearance of one of Rand's character flaws: his martyr complex meets his "I'm going to make decisions for other people (for their own good of course)" tendency. Glad we're seeing it already, laying that groundwork
  • Blight! Fine for the fringes. Hoping it looks really creepy as they get deeper next week

Probably my favorite episode. I'm going to want to rewatch this one and prior episodes to see how Rand's actions feel knowing he's had this growing fear the whole time. Only one more episode to go this year

**that scene has a lot of great subtle acting. Rand hesitates juuust enough before promising Egwene about going to the Tower and being her Warder (this is what tipped off my wife). And! In the previous big argument scene, Rand is all "I don't want to lose anyone in this room", which would only be the case if he was the Dragon Reborn. Good writing, good delivery

6 minutes ago, Mnemosyne said:

Siuan being Moiraine's downfall... what are they doing with Moiraine's arc?! I'm worried

Well alot will depend on "downfall".  In the book Siuan being put to the question leads to Elaida ordering Moiraine to be arrested, that could be her "downfall".  When Elaida discovered Siuan and Moiraine have been acting together.

Edited by Sabio

4 minutes ago, DermidAjala said:

My assumption was that it was just a mad trolloc lost in the ways - a substitute for the dead ones they come across in the books and that Fain was unrelated to it (instead doing a creepier version of his endless pursuit)

Oh like a nod to the books - fair enough.