DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E7: The Dark Along the Ways

SinisterDeath

Blood snow - was pretty sick, and the veil was up but took it off to breathe better during contractions/tired from battle so it didn’t bother me. I loved it for Tigraine that was awesome. 

Machin Shin - Interesting adaptation, wasn’t upset, kinda was hoping for like an insane chorus of footballer fans singing the song in the distance, with a sense of dread as it got closer but this was good, I liked it too. It does feel like they are making some characters overpowered at this point needs more balance. Glad Loial got a few history lines in there that was a nice touch. 

Mat- Nice recovery all things considered, pretty smooth dialogue explaining where he went and I accept it. (Still not happy on his backstory and they have a major recovery to make up ground for). Also, Mat doesn’t learn Rand is the Dragon until book two and just got knocked out?or away? At the Eye if I’m not mistaken so this is fine. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Loial- bless your heart Brother Book. I love you on screen, so stop taking his development and giving it away. Man, does he shine when given screen time. Give me more Loial. 

Padan Fain- I really like how they did this. Great job. He was always lurking and still is. 

Perrin- sigh…Kills his wife and is into Egwene and they have to make Rand and him fight over her?…the character assassination to Perrin is quite unforgivable to me at this point. He was one of my favorite characters and I cringe whenever I see him on screen. It’s heartbreaking to me. I’m really trying. 

Tam- honestly, loved Tam in this episode. (Still kinda mad he didn’t even get to take out one trolloc himself but Tigraine while giving birth gets to merk a bunch of dudes.) but Tam tenderly helping her give birth was amazing, had they had him kill her and find the baby I would have dipped. So, glad that didn’t happen. Tam is still best dad.

Rand- All he’s done for six episode is whine about Egwene and comfort Mat a bit.
Then we finally get a call back to his dad in the woods, but I’m not sure it was quite enough to satisfy book readers or non-book readers to be honest. I’m curious to see if there will be backlash due to the reveal, just since he was placed on the back burner for so long, I do give them points for having the callback though and a shout out to Elder Haman for predicting that. Nice call.

Two bonuses: “the hinting to the flame and the void.” Watch the torches as he breathes before letting loose his arrows. And “three beautiful women.” Nice. 

Nynaeve - Gets another cool moment and good character development. Honestly, she is why I watch the show. Tugged her braid!!! It happened!!! Finally!!! 

Lan - Proper title. Heartfelt backstory. Good development between him and Nynaeve. Got a good tracking joke in there. “King without a kingdom.” These two are the best adaptations in my opinion. 

Moiraine- she’s great, but don’t give Loial’s development to her. Not excited she opened the ways, took away from him, she’s already slaying it. Did great this episode too for when she was there.

Egwene- Feels like Egwene. Not mad, didn’t get a ton of her own development but nice shared moments. She also does feel super indecisive. Didn’t like the love triangle stuff.

One of my favorite episodes. That could be inflated simply because Rand finally got a fair shake, but it was a long wait  and I think it will make people mad in multiple camps.

Edited by JaimAybara

1 minute ago, TheDreadReader said:

My first thought after this was when Mat asks the 'finn for something to keep the Aes Sedai away from him (I forget how he phrased it in the book).   Having a couple run-ins with the Reds would go a long way towards setting that up.

Yeah, definitely seems like they might lean more into why he distrusts AS (through actual experiences rather than just being like “ewe, the power, gross” which he does in the books.

5 minutes ago, JaimAybara said:

Blood snow - was pretty sick, and the veil was up but took it off to breathe better during contractions/tired from battle so it didn’t bother me. I loved it for Tigraine that was awesome. 

Machin Shin - Interesting adaptation, wasn’t upset, kinda was hoping for like an insane chorus of footballer fans singing the song in the distance, with a sense of dread as it got closer but this was good, I liked it too. It does feel like they are making some characters overpowered at this point needs more balance. Glad Loial got a few history lines in there that was a nice touch. 

Mat- Nice recovery all things considered, pretty smooth dialogue explaining where he went and I accept it. (Still not happy on his backstory and they have a major recovery to make up ground for). Also, Mat doesn’t learn Rand is the Dragon until book two and just got knocked out?or away? At the Eye if I’m not mistaken so this is fine. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Loial- bless your heart Brother Book. I love you on screen, so stop taking his development and giving it away. Man, does he shine when given screen time. Give me more Loial. 

Padan Fain- I really like how they did this. Great job. He was always lurking and still is. 

Perrin- sigh…Kills his wife and is into Egwene and they have to make Rand and him fight over her?…the character assassination to Perrin is quite unforgivable to me at this point. He was one of my favorite characters and I cringe whenever I see him on screen. It’s heartbreaking to me. I’m really trying. 

Tam- honestly, loved Tam in this episode. (Still kinda mad he didn’t even get to take out one trolloc himself but Tigraine while giving birth gets to merk a bunch of dudes.) but Tam tenderly helping her give birth was amazing, had they had him kill her and find the baby I would have dipped. So, glad that didn’t happen. Tam is still best dad.

Rand- All he’s done for six episode is whine about Egwene and comfort Mat a bit.
Then we finally get a call back to his dad in the woods, but I’m not sure it was quite enough to satisfy book readers or non-book readers to be honest. I’m curious to see if there will be backlash due to the reveal, just since he was placed on the back burner for so long, I do give them points for having the callback though and a shout out to Elder Haman for predicting that. Nice call.

Two bonuses: “the hinting to the flame and the void.” Watch the torches as he breathes before letting loose his arrows. And “three beautiful women.” Nice. 

Nynaeve - Gets another cool moment and good character development. Honestly, she is why I watch the show. Tugged her braid!!! It happened!!! Finally!!! 

Lan - Proper title. Heartfelt backstory. Good development between him and Nynaeve. Got a good tracking joke in there. “King without a kingdom.” These two are the best adaptations in my opinion. 

Moiraine- she’s great, but don’t give Loial’s development to her. Not excited she opened the ways, took away from him, she’s already slaying it. Did great this episode too for when she was there.

Egwene- Feels like Egwene. Not mad, didn’t get a ton of her own development but nice shared moments. She also does feel like a bit of a tease. Didn’t like the love triangle stuff.

One of my favorite episodes. That could be inflated simply because Rand finally got a fair shake, but it was a long wait  and I think it will make people mad in multiple camps.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

I was too content with Tigraine & Tam's scenes and Rand's memory onslaught to care about much else in the episode. Although I would appreciate more eerie context for Padan Fain, please (other than whistling). 

They are really accelerating Lan & Nynaeve, aren't they? Yay, we got some backstory on Lan!

Min the bartender! Lol, a bit on the nose, eh? Tell me what you see over a whiskey...  

Did Loial find his way to the Fal Dara library? 

Hoping for more, but the episode was decent. The blight wasn't what I expected but oh well. 

Edited by ManetherenTaveren

My favorite episode.  I liked the fever dream being put in, felt a little rushed but glad they put it in.  Also fun to watch Rand being the one who channeled in the ways to protect Egwene.  Min's tossing in three beautiful women was fun.  Also watching Aiel fighting skills was enjoyable, I know some will think it was over the top but she was desperate to give birth so I could see her going all out to kill these men.  So glad it opened the show and Tam wasn't an attacker.

ALegmar being so disrespectful to Aes Sedai seemed a bit odd.  I didn't care for the Peerin, Egwene, Rand spat.  Though I thought maybe it was Rand trying to push the other two away.  Good to hear some of Lan's past but it was too quick.  Always seems dialogue you don't care about goes on and on, the dialogue you want to hear is always so quick and brief.  Blight was disappointing.

I didn't like Moiraine leaving Lan behind since she has to know he will go after her so why not take him with you.  You might need the best swordsman about to reach the Eye.

Also Moiraine threatening Min like that was bad.  Seemed unnecessary and sort of evil.  Tell me what I want to know or I'll tell the Aes Sedai about you.  Really?

Edited by Sabio

One more thing I’ll toss in. Although I loved Lan’s added story I wish there was the story of the best soldiers in his nation dying to smuggle him out vs. just one family. 

*Am I misremembering this? I thought there were a bunch of the best swordsmen in the land protecting him and then by New Spring there was just a few who raised him and then the one left before he joins Moiraine.* 

Edited by JaimAybara

Guest Wolfbrother31

Initial reactions: 

#1] Blood Snow cold open. Bloody awesome, except she should have kept her veil on. 

#2] They made the best of a bad situation with Matt's staying behind. Kudos. I'll forgive it. Sucks though - probably through them off in a bunch of ways. 

#3] Still can't get over how "brother book's" hair looks so rediculous. But the actor is nailing Loial's personality. 

#4] The Egrand ship. How sweet. 

#5] Loved the whistle. Lightening flash with Padan Fain. Delicious. 

#6] The black wind looked dumb but sounded cool. 

#7] The Nynaeve supernova bubble - disliked - looked silly. 

#8] Fal Dara looked cool - loved the Samurai Borderlanders. 

#9] Min. Not how I pictured her - her prophecy for Moiraine...hmm, more changes coming I guess? Didn't love it.

#10] Loved Nyn's "Let her try!" And the braid tug. Didnt love the rest of the dialogue in the EF4 arguing scene. The writing, not the acting. 

#11] The NynLan ship. Wow, they're really speeding things up in the show. 

#12] Fever dream! Love it. Wished we would have gotten more of it. 

#13] Was a little let down by the Dragon reveal. But still got chills when Rand said, "It's me!"

#14] I assume that Lan, Eg, Perrin, and Nyn are gonna follow em. Otherwise. Lame. 

#15] The CGI for the season finale had better be ... hopefully they went all out. Been pretty disappointing so far otherwise. 

8 minutes ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

#2] They made the best of a bad situation with Matt's staying behind. Kudos. I'll forgive it. Sucks though - probably through them off in a bunch of ways. 

I wonder how much of this episode (and the next) was rewritten due to Barney's self-gentling? 

Edited by ManetherenTaveren

3 minutes ago, ManetherenTaveren said:

I wonder how much of this episode (and the next) was rewritten due to Barney's self-gentling? 

I wonder if some last minute rewrites impacted Perrin's arc a lot this episode, among other things.

I can't say I'm a fan of Perrin's love triangle arc. I'm not sure I see how that goes anywhere or sets anything up. Otherwise I did enjoy the episode.

They sped up Nynaeve and Lan's arc and there is a little purist in me who thinks it should have been otherwise, but I understand it from a TV season standpoint and fleshing out their chemistry more.

7 minutes ago, lsm said:

was there any hints on how Padan Fain got into the ways? Was it one of the forsaken we saw in the lightning flash in the ways where Loial was figuring out the guide post?

I have a feeling that the ways can be opened with a specific angreal like in the books (the stone leaf)

It is possible in this version even the Aes Sedai don’t even know they can be opened other ways. 

Because a Forsaken letting Fain in - one way - works but then how did he get out? Did Ishy hold his hand the whole way in?

Plus they were a gift to the Ogier - in places the Power cant be used. So there HAS to be another way to operate them. 

I think again we are seeing the power but also ignorance of modern AS

24 minutes ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

#9] Min. Not how I pictured her - her prophecy for Moiraine...hmm, more changes coming I guess? Didn't love it.

May not be all that big of a change.

Egwene = White Flame = Amrylin

The Amrylin will be the death of Moiraine.

Lanfear gets jealous of the "Amrylin".

33 minutes ago, JaimAybara said:

One more thing I’ll toss in. Although I loved Lan’s added story I wish there was the story of the best soldiers in his nation dying to smuggle him out vs. just one family. 

*Am I misremembering this? I thought there were a bunch of the best swordsmen in the land protecting him and then by New Spring there was just a few who raised him and then the one left before he joins Moiraine.* 

You're not misremembering, something like 12 swordsman took him out and 5 made it to the borderlands with him.

1 minute ago, TheDreadReader said:

May not be all that big of a change.

Egwene = White Flame = Amrylin

The Amrylin will be the death of Moiraine.

Lanfear gets jealous of the "Amrylin".

it isn't Egwene that Lanfear gets jealous of though, personally I suspect it will be more to do with Elaida (or whoever theye merge her with).

Though to be fair even her 'death' is walking shaky ground with what we know already from the books.

Just now, gibbons said:

it isn't Egwene that Lanfear gets jealous of though, personally I suspect it will be more to do with Elaida (or whoever theye merge her with).

The cause of Lanfear's rage on that day is because Rand slept with someone.   Since Rand and Egwene are already doing it, that condition for Lanfear's rage already exists.

Not saying that it is 100%, but it is an easy fit.