DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E6: The Flame of Tar Valon

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

For discussing Season 1, Episode 6 titled "The Flame of Tar Valon".

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 6.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

1 minute ago, KakitaOCU said:

24 reviews of which only 2 are actually negative and 8 are positive.

Meanwhile Rotten Tomatoes with 70 critic reviews is at 84%.  I think we're okay.

We will see. There is little traction on social media even the official account compared to other productions. I am glad they started filming the second season before the data came in.

Guest Wolfbrother31
3 minutes ago, Finfolfin said:

We will see. There is little traction on social media even the official account compared to other productions. I am glad they started filming the second season before the data came in.

Yeah - in my corner of the world (not that that's indicative of the whole) some of my non-book-fan watchers have given up now. Some will finish out season 1 & if it ends well will come back for S2. 

I'm mostly disappointed but still hopeful. And going down with this ship either way. 

Edited by Wolfbrother31

5 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

I took what she said as she didn't know she was that powerful, not that she didn't know she couldn't channel at all...

I'll have to review that scene for the exact wording.
Course, there's always the Moiraine is BA or removed the Oaths theory...

I had the same thought and re-watched this afternoon. She specifically stated "I was unaware that she could channel" in response to Liandrin. Maybe Moiraine is not bound by the Oaths. Maybe the block played a role. Or maybe she stated truthfully because while she knew that Nynaeve could touch the source, she was unaware that Nynaeve would be able to "channel" because of the block?  

1 minute ago, fra85uk said:

I don't care about the ratings...even if it had 99.9% score everywhere, I would still trust my eyes and ears and think that it is an abysmal show.

Just like if all the reviews were from the 1 star crowd, I would still enjoy the show. Because it is enjoyable.

4 hours ago, KakitaOCU said:

It shows their closeness, the line between public appearance and duty vs personal desire.  It shows us that the prior discipline was an act and nothing more.

But all that aside, it doesn't need to add to the story, it's showing an organic world where being something other than hetero and monogamous isn't a big deal.  It's showing that the world is organic and there are people who don't fit the norm and it's okay.

The book did that just fine.

Zero need to change that, especially before they even talked about the Dragon. 

Just now, Harad the White said:

Just to put a button on this laugh(?). The whirlpool has already started before he jumps into the river. Is self-destructive activity either laughable, or unknow irl? Naah.

All the scene is so badly acted, badly written and unnecessary that it made me laugh.

But we have:

Rand and Mat running from Dana The Darkfriend like she had a gun

Ep. 5 grave-digging at surface level

Gheldean King's suicide squad

These scenes gave me a laugh 

10 minutes ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

Also ... I don't think ... as has been suggested, that Matt was left-behind because of the actor change. Is there any info that suggests this is the case or just speculation? I think it's intential so we get more dagger/Fain action. 

I hadn't even thought about Barney leaving until I saw it here.  IMDB lists him in all 8 episodes.

11 minutes ago, Finfolfin said:

This is being disingenous . We all want to the show to succeed but moiraine knew that Nynaeve could chanell early , on the way to Baerlon she nearly lets it slip to Egwene

And Elaida sows distrust amongst the Aes Sedai by doing this and it makes her a horrible Amyrlin

You are making excuses for bad writing. Its ok for us as book fans to fill these holes but for non book readers it will seem strange at best

1: Of course it's disingenuous, the Oaths always are.  And if she legitimately thought Nynaeve was blocked and unable to channel effectively, there you go.

2: Elaida's failure is in refusing to listen to anyone else and refusing to acknowledge a true threat.  Not to mention her rise in the first place was sketchy.  Her bullying didn't help anything but it's not what made her a failure.  Non book readers won't even care in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Episode 6 gets a solid 8 stars on IMDB. Your hope that the show will be a dismal failure is simply not materializing.

i had hope for the opposite.

After seeing the last 2 episodes especially,  hope is gone.

i an happy for you if you like it, but I think you are in for a disappointment as I think this show is getting cancelled.

7 minutes ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

Yeah - in my corner of the world (not that that's indicative of the whole) some of my non-book-fan watchers have given up now. Some will finish out season 1 & if it ends well will come back for S2. 

I'm mostly disappointed but still hopeful. And going down with this ship either way. 

I'm just in it for the memes at this point which i cant post itt

1 minute ago, fra85uk said:

All the scene is so badly acted, badly written and unnecessary that it made me laugh.

But we have:

Rand and Mat running from Dana The Darkfriend like she had a gun

Ep. 5 grave-digging at surface level

Gheldean King's suicide squad

These scenes gave me a laugh 

That sense of humor terrifies me beyond the capacity for rational thought.

Ooft, if this was meant to be the good episode of the season I'm not sure I'll be back for season 2. It's not awful, but it definitely feels more mediocre with odd high notes than actually good, and it's certainly not living up to expectations.

Liked

• Hall of the Tower - nailed the look and feel perfectly
  • Really all the indoor sets this week. I get the comments that everything looks too clean, but I think it's ok and works with the series. There is a charm and gentleness to WoT compared to say GoT which I think makes this aesthetic work.
  • The back turning during the exile scene - really got to me.
  • Oath rod looked fab.
  • Logain (as always).
  • Lan really had some great 'stony-faced' looks when he wasn't talking.
  • Loved the use of the 'by the Light and my hope of salvation and rebirth' pretty much verbatim - beautifully done.
  • The wee smirk on Egwene's face when she thought she was the most powerful channeler in a thousand years followed by her look of disappointment was a great, subtle little appreciation of her character.
  • Liandrin's Taraboner braids in all their glory.
  • Rosamund Pike really is doing a super job with Moiraine.

Disliked

• why were 'Siuan' and 'Moiraine' each pronounced 2-3 different ways within one episode!? So lazy not to get this right (or at least consistent).
  • The modern phrases were awful and so jarring ('upbeat' from Lan and 'blow smoke up our asses' from Nynaeve...who washed people's mouths out with soap for bad language to add insult to injury)
  • Lan's lines were largely horrific. His retort to Rand on their meeting was so off character.
  • The CGI looks cheap.
  • Siuan didn't quite do it for me. The actress seemed to be playing three totally different characters split between the Hall, her evening with Moiraine, and her audience with Nynaeve and Egwene. I appreciate it's a big ask to play scenes where Siuan would have held herself so differently but there wasn't enough of a common thread to tie the three together for me.
  • The oath rod swearing was...odd. Did the other Sisters not hear Moiraine's edits? Was it even necessary to have her swear? As she can't lie, couldn't Moiraine just have promised not to return..? 
  • Rand feels like a side character at this point.
  • Missed the mirror effect from the Ways opening.

The whole series is just feeling a bit washy-washy. It seems to be trying to be all things to all people and isn't really committing to anything. Its not really faithful to the books at all anymore, but it's not it's own story either. It doesn't want to go down the overtly-sexual line of GoT but it isn't happy to run with RJ's (largely) really subtle allusions to PG-13 material stand. The writers have chosen to adapt a story that is clearly based around three heroes and three heroines, but seem very uncomfortable with the book's slight 'preferential treatment' of the male leads as ta'veren so instead of adapting something else they don't give any screen time to the three male leads. It all feels very compromis-y.

Edited by RhienneAgain

3 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

I checked a few weeks ago and it was at 83% I think.  I checked just now on reading your post and it's 84%.

Let's not state untruths.

the audience score has dropped to 78%
You are referring to the critics score, which is fabricated.

It jumped 15% last week with no additional reviews. You can see in the detail of the critics score that about 33%  rank the show as rotten… closer to 50% rotten for the top critics.

truth.

Edited by Maximillion

5 minutes ago, RhienneAgain said:

Rand feels like a side character at this point.

Rand is a side character at this point. If he were the main character at the get-go, people would be complaining that there was no "character arc." It remains to be seen, but this is the way good stories start.