DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

S1E4: The Dragon Reborn

SinisterDeath
Message added by SinisterDeath,

Reminder:

1. Discussion in this topic is limited to Episode 4.
  2. If your post is about the series, go to the Season 1 Discussion Topic.
  3. If your post doesn't fit in either topic, search the WoT TV show Forum for a similar Topic.
  4. If you cannot find a similar Topic, post a new one. If you are unsure, PM the moderators for help.
  5. If your post is Off-Topic, it will be moved or deleted without warning.
  6. Finally Be Respectful to each other.

Just now, KakitaOCU said:

Did he?  Or does it make a question for a new person?  "We saw the dagger, so that makes sense.  But wait, is it all the dagger or is there something else?"

We're also getting this talk about Mat an episode after we compared Rand to Aiel and showed him channeling outright.

Going to non-book people - We've seen on Aiel that had red hair.  Why would that assume that all Aiel do?

Also - why would people assume that the dagger is cursed?

2 minutes ago, Sabio said:

I mean if you think about it, Perin murdered his wife and let everyone think the Trollocs did it (I don't remember him admittting it) But then again I was still trying to deal with holy crap he murdered his wife.  

Accidentally killed, while swinging an axe in self-defense is not really the same thing as murder, but agreed, that he did not admit it. It is clear that he never told anyone, but ambiguous as to whether or not other people know. The way they tell him that it is not his fault, kind of only makes sense if they know, because you would never tell him it isn't his fault that one of the 200, 10 foot tall 500-pound demons that bum rushed the village ate his wife.

14 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Give me an example of a character developing from EotW. 

let’s take Nynaeve.

She was very nuanced in the books. aggressive yes, but also vulnerable, competitive, insecure, caring, fearful as well as determined, emotional and protective.

in the TV series she is a raging storm #badass 

6 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

Except stick a knife in Lan.

She decided not to.

She could have dropped the knife in the show and gone Neo on his ass if she wanted.

Explanation would have been ‘she learned to be Bruce Lee with the one power - by accident’

Edited by Maximillion

1 minute ago, Maximillion said:

She was very nuanced in the books. aggressive yes, but also vulnerable, competitive, insecure, caring, fearful as well as determined, emotional and protective.

She is already all these things in the show. By this point in the books she was just the angry lady who hit people with sticks.

1 minute ago, Harad the White said:

Why don't you work it out with the other N&Ns who say it's too complicated for anyone to understand.

I can't see the beginning of this conversation so it hard to follow. What is an N and N? And this show has definately dumbed down the book to the point that it has become some of the garbage normally on network television. telling you right of the bat who the good guys are and who the bad guys are is very NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox kind of stuff that you normally don't see on HBO, Netflix, Prime, and HULU. I expect better on the platform that gave me Bosch, and Jack Ryan. 

7 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Stop. This is tired and hyperbolic.

Uh, have we had any evidence of Perrin's "temper" since Winternight? Perrin is struggling with grief. He is unsure of himself and worried that he will be unable to protect Egwene now that they have been separated from his friends. He got knocked upside the head with Ila's question - 
has life been better or worse since you picked up that axe? 

And I suspect that in the very next episode, he will have to decide whether to fight again.

And this is bad? I don't know about you, but I don't sit down to watch a fantasy tv series and say to myself, "self, I really want to have to think deeply about this."

tired and hyperbolic - yes better description of Nynaeve in the show.

It’s not bad per se that the show is so shallow. They need viewers I guess and most are just looking to be entertained for an hour. 
Fine, but WoT it ain’t.

8 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Stop. This is tired and hyperbolic.

Uh, have we had any evidence of Perrin's "temper" since Winternight? Perrin is struggling with grief. He is unsure of himself and worried that he will be unable to protect Egwene now that they have been separated from his friends. He got knocked upside the head with Ila's question - 
has life been better or worse since you picked up that axe? 

And I suspect that in the very next episode, he will have to decide whether to fight again.

And this is bad? I don't know about you, but I don't sit down to watch a fantasy tv series and say to myself, "self, I really want to have to think deeply about this."

Part of the joy of good television is having to figure out things for yourself, instead of just letting everything wash over you while you passively veg out. They teach this in college. None of the great shows that people still talk about 50 years later, like the twilight zone, were shows that didn't make you think.

7 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Going to non-book people - We've seen on Aiel that had red hair.  Why would that assume that all Aiel do?

Uh...because, if you watched the show:
Thom said that red hair is very rare outside the Aiel waste.
And Lan told everyone to touch nothing from the cursed city of Shadar Logath?

I mean, they told the non-readers.

10 minutes ago, Sabio said:

Notice when we see people channel you always see swirling in the air and such, did we see anything when Rand channeled?

49:49.  Air starts warping when he slams the door.  Again when he breaks it, whole camera shifts and wobbles.  It doesn't show the weaves but it definitely shows sign of channeling.

8 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

They wouldn't. But they would leave open the possibility since it was picked up in a cursed city, after Lan, said "Take nothing." Just sayin'.

I'm not sure if you mean people in the audience or people in the show. People in the show wouldn't, except Lan who told them to take nothing, and Moraine who told Lan he killed them all by brining them there. People in the audience would, because of the voices and slithering sound around the time that picked up the dagger, not to mention the mysterious ghost that led him to it.

4 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

She is already all these things in the show. By this point in the books she was just the angry lady who hit people with sticks.

The character development in the books as written by RJ is several levels above the shallow writing in the show. We’ll just have to disagree. 

Nynaeve IS #badass. That’s the result of what we’ve seen.

13 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Episode 3 Thom says "But it's rare to see that color of hair outside the Aiel Waste."   Not a matter of assuming "All Aiel" have red hair, a matter of realizing Rand is redheaded and that we've seen no others at all.

As for the dagger?  My wife picked it up.  He picks up the dagger, we don't see him escape from Mashadar, we see it creeping on him then Rand gets the door open.  Then episode 4 it's creeping on him.   So..  yeah...

19 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Because Thom said it is rare to see hair like that this side of the Spine

Sorry - you all got there first

Edited by Ralph

Just now, dog421 said:

People in the show wouldn't, except Lan who told them to take nothing, and Moraine

Except Lan and Moiraine, and anyone who knew about SL, which is everyone within 100 miles, and everyone else in the world, by reputation. The ones who don't, just don't know yet, where the Dagger came from. That should be revealed around...episode 25 or so.

5 minutes ago, KakitaOCU said:

49:49.  Air starts warping when he slams the door.  Again when he breaks it, whole camera shifts and wobbles.  It doesn't show the weaves but it definitely shows sign of channeling.

mmm, I have just rewatched it...I cannot honestly catch this detail but, overall, is not important.

Few seconds earlier the D(an)arkfriend told Rand that it was impossible for him to open the door.

So, when this happens, it seems obvious that something supernatural has happened also for the non-reader.