DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How do you imagine Rand's life after Last Battle?

Cheyboygan

I can understand Rand wanting a little time to wander free of responsibility after what he has been through, but its pretty unsatisfying to think he will ignore his three loves and his children forever.  Maybe if they thought he was truly dead, but they know he lives.  I imagine Rand assuming a new identity and settling at one of his schools with Min.  He isn't exactly a scholar, but he surely doesn't lack for knowledge or wisdom and Min would be much happier there than on a farm somewhere.  He could travel to serve as a tutor to his children by Elayne and Aviendha.  Once the children are grown and ready to assume their mother's responsibilities they could be told the truth and Elayne and Avi could join Rand as sister wives  (assuming they haven't moved on by that time).  I think Rand probably reveals himself to a few other people as well; Tam, Perrin, Mat, Nynaeve and Moraine.  Possibly to Logaine if he feels the need to help guide the Black Tower.  Definitely not to Cadsuane and the White Tower (I like Cads, but the WT would never give him any peace).  

1, I think Cadsuane already knows Rand is alive.

2, I think Rand would NOT reveal to his children he lives because it would taint (pun intended) the Legacy of The Dragon Reborn. Maybe the mom's will when or after they retire?

3, I can see Rand being a "Friend" to Andor & the Aiel as a "wanderer"/maybe even a Warder or a very good friend of the family.  But as far as the world knows, TDR is Dead, and the Dark One is gone!  So why mess w/ it.  

I mean the 3 women he is bonded too know he is still alive.  Nyneave will eventually find out.  I agree that the close circle will learn of it in time, but not right away.

Word will spread as soon as you tell people.  Basicly he can never be a major part of Avi or ELayne's life without causing suspicion.  Also some do remember what Moridin looks like, so he does have to be careful showing his face in some places.  Min is the most likely the one to seek him out, the others may visit him through a gateway from time to time.  But Rand wants to live a quiet life and once he starts telling people he is alive then that would be ruined.  

Cadsuane does know he is alive.

Very few people know what Moridin looks like.  Obviously he can't be a public part of Avi's and (especially) Elayne's  life, but I'd like to think he can manage to know his children.  You may be right about the others though. Also, you are right about Cadsuane so thats a potential problem, although I doubt Cadsuane would expose him unless she had what she saw as a very good reason.  

Cadsuane may die really soon. I don’t think she will remove the binding rod/oaths.

Rand can travel without channeling and it seems Elayne wants to put in permanent doorways connecting the Royal courts, cities, etc. As was discussed before in the forum, one can explore the wilderness all day, sleep in his bed at night and pickup exactly where he left off.

Also Rand can disguise himself, so when an unknown Aiel man takes up with Avi, and a Cairhein man Elayne, and Shinaran with Min, no one has any reason to suspect.

What I find most confusing is that Avienda and Elayne weren’t active participants in the post Last Battle world. No reason for them not to live 1000 yrs. 

well there is zero precedent for anyone living 1,000 years so there is no reason to believe they would.    Avi's had visions much closer in the future though and both should have been alive then unless they died a violent death.  So they could just be visions of a future where both stepped aside from directing human affairs while still alive.  Perhaps a warning to Avi that she couldn't do that.  Isn't the most common interpretation that she already voided the reality of those visions by insisting the Aeil be included in the Dragon's Peace though?  

We don't know for sure if Rand can travel or disguise himself anymore since he can no longer channel.  Who can say what sort of power he may have.

The age one could live depended on their strength, stronger they were in the one power the longer they could live.  The companion says "up to more than eight hundred years for a Forsaken-class channeler".  

Min has the easiest situation. Wait a moment and then go to your heart.
Elayne may leave the position of her consort vacant if she has already secured the successor. Rand can easily visit her. I suppose he'll want to see his children.
Avienha has the worst situation. If she still lives by "Ji-Toh", she will have to marry a chief and start a family with him; no place for Rand there.

On 3/2/2020 at 2:47 AM, Sabio said:

There is nothing saying a wise one has to marry or that it has to be a chief.

I think it's at a time when Rand travels with Aielas. Aviendha is furious. Wise ones tell Aviendh about getting married to a chief once, even if he were to be the chief of the most remote sept. Meanwhile as a apprentice she has but obeyed.

This clearly implies what is expected of wise one.

If you remember in TFOH Sorilea wanted to set Aviendha up with a Seia Doon named Feran.   Feran wasn't a clan chief.  So there is nothing saying a Wise One must marry a clan cheif.  Sorilea even said "you have other duties to the people them learning to be a Wise One.  Those hips were made for babes."   Aiel society it's not uncommon to have a child and not be married.  

Wise Ones don't have to marry Clan chiefs.  Its not even possible for all Wise Ones to marry clan chiefs, as there are many more WO than chiefs.  Also, we know Aviendha wants to marry Rand and she is no longer an apprentice who must obey. She is her own woman now (although obviously committed to doing what is best for the Aeil).  We also know that Aviendha will have 4 children by Rand, but we don't know if she is already pregnant from their night at FoM or that is yet to happen.  So while I doubt they live together (at least not in the near future), I also doubt that they won't continue their relationship.  One possibility that I've never seen brought up though is that Aviendha and Elayne (and perhaps Min if she doesn't get the bulk of Rand's time) might want a full time husband at some point instead of Rand just dropping by when he feels like it.  If they marry a normal man then the three way marriage of Rand-Aviendha-Elayne could wait until their husbands and Min live their human lifespans.  

I´m thinking Min will catch up with Rand pretty soon. Then they will travel for a bit before setteling down in a cottage somewhere in the mountains. Maybe near a stedding? With travelling it´s easy to visit Elayne and Aviendha. I think the kids should know who their father is. They can easily visit him as well.

I hope he visits Tam and let him know he is alive. Nynaeve and Moiraine deserves to know as well. I don´t think he will visit the Black or the White tower. That part of his life is over. 

On 3/3/2020 at 11:29 PM, Sabio said:

If you remember in TFOH Sorilea wanted to set Aviendha up with a Seia Doon named Feran.   Feran wasn't a clan chief.  So there is nothing saying a Wise One must marry a clan cheif.  Sorilea even said "you have other duties to the people them learning to be a Wise One.  Those hips were made for babes."   Aiel society it's not uncommon to have a child and not be married.  

You're right, though we don't know what fate Sorilea had prepared for Feran. I think it will be one of the policies of Wise One to have “secured” as many chiefs as possible.

When is it best to “secure” them? Before they become chiefs.

On 3/4/2020 at 2:13 AM, Cheyboygan said:

Wise Ones don't have to marry Clan chiefs.  Its not even possible for all Wise Ones to marry clan chiefs, as there are many more WO than chiefs.  Also, we know Aviendha wants to marry Rand and she is no longer an apprentice who must obey. She is her own woman now (although obviously committed to doing what is best for the Aeil).  We also know that Aviendha will have 4 children by Rand, but we don't know if she is already pregnant from their night at FoM or that is yet to happen.  So while I doubt they live together (at least not in the near future), I also doubt that they won't continue their relationship.  One possibility that I've never seen brought up though is that Aviendha and Elayne (and perhaps Min if she doesn't get the bulk of Rand's time) might want a full time husband at some point instead of Rand just dropping by when he feels like it.  If they marry a normal man then the three way marriage of Rand-Aviendha-Elayne could wait until their husbands and Min live their human lifespans.  

Aiels have not only clan-chiefs, but also sept-chiefs.
In my remark, the only master of Aviendha was her pride. In the book, she preferred pride to love.

• 4 weeks later...

Min's with the Seanchan now, though, and I could see her deciding it's part of her job to stick around and help convince Fortuona of the importance of freeing damane. She's too driven and dutiful to throw that aside. Especially because she knows that might be one way to keep the peaceful world Rand helped build. 

• 3 weeks later...

Rand’s thread weaving ability would allow him to do anything he could have channeling and many more things he couldn’t do channeling.

The only people who have children out of wedlock are maidens and they either give up the child for adoption or give up the spear and marry the man. The wise ones telling the girls to make babies was in a healthy marriage, not promiscuously.

i don’t think Rand will tell anyone else he is alive. The best way to keep a secret...

I can't see Min wanting to stay with the Seanchan,I still think she is the one most likely to seek Rand out.  She doesn't really like telling her viewings so seems like she would be miserable being forced to view everyone for Tuon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 3:03 PM, SansaStark said:

Min's with the Seanchan now, though, and I could see her deciding it's part of her job to stick around and help convince Fortuona of the importance of freeing damane. She's too driven and dutiful to throw that aside. Especially because she knows that might be one way to keep the peaceful world Rand helped build. 

I expect Fortuona and Mat to return to Seanchan to try to end the chaos that erupted in the aftermath of the murder of the Empress and her entire Court by Semirhage. 

I think Rand will wonder the entire World, I’m  not sure Min really wants to be part of Tuon’s Court and with Rand’s help will mostly stay away. Elayne is carrying Rand’s Twins, so the likelihood is they will both be very strong Channelers expected to live for several 100 years, this will make the rule of Andor and Cairhien a very difficult one to sort out, the Daughter will go to Tar Valon and may become a Aes Sedai, what happens then? She waits for anything up to 2-3 hundred years to become Queen, meanwhile several more generations come along waiting, that would be a recipe for disaster for Andor-Cairhien and may exactly be the scenario in Aviendha’s vision that saw Andor-Cairhien ally with the Aiel against the Raven Empire.

The Boy will have to go to the Black Tower for testing and training, Rand can’t do it as he no longer channels Saidin. Again presenting the possible situation of several generations waiting Centuries. 

So Elayne may have to retire after several decades of rule in favour of her Daughter, who along with her Brother and descendants may have to do the same in turn. Elayne may then join Rand in retirement as a free soul. 
Aviendha is going to be haunted by her visions of the future and will not be straying to far in trying to do everything in her power to change that future. I think they will meet occasionally but i doubt she will go off with him.

Rand is the only truely free one of the 4, the 3 Girls are all being constrained for different reasons.

One project Rand may take on, is trying to bring some sort of peace and order to the Southern Continent. With the cleansing, the madness that has reigned there will slowly begin to die down as those male Channelers from before, die off and those who begin Channeling afterwards don’t go mad. 

Edited by Harldin

On 5/2/2020 at 4:10 AM, Harldin said:

Aviendha is going to be haunted by her visions of the future and will not be straying to far in trying to do everything in her power to change that future. I think they will meet occasionally but i doubt she will go off with him.

Aviendha's vision is already averted. When Rand made Aiels peacekeepers, he significantly changed their behavior in the future. They demanded their involvement in Dragon Peace, because Aviendha's vision. Their honor will not allow them to disturb peace if they are to guard it.

On 5/5/2020 at 10:53 PM, Elendir said:

Aviendha's vision is already averted. When Rand made Aiels peacekeepers, he significantly changed their behavior in the future. They demanded their involvement in Dragon Peace, because Aviendha's vision. Their honor will not allow them to disturb peace if they are to guard it.

Not totally sure about Rand making the Aiel Peacekeepers necessarily changes the vision, and their honour will not allow them to leave 100s of Wise Ones in slavery either. And the war doesn’t start until the Quads become old enough to have a say in Aiel affairs, so could be as long as 30 years. 
The likelihood is the Aiel will change a great deal as they become more and more involved in Wetlander politics. We only get a small glimpse of why the Aiel declared war on the Seanchan, we know little about the events that lead up to the decision, if the Aiel believe the Seanchan have been consistantly breaking the peace, they may also feel to be honour bound by the Dragons peace to actually attack the Seanchan. 
The Dragons peace will hold for a while, but not forever as slowly what happened at Shayul Gul and Merrilor turns to Legend. This is the message right at the heart of WOT, the world changes, i really believe that the message Jordan is sending with Aviendha’s vision(and i think it comes from Jordan not Sanderson) is that the world will go through a major change fairly early in the 4th Age, the Aes Sedai and Aiel have been around since early in the 2nd Age and its time for them to become memory, then Legend, then Myth and then all knowledge of them disappear so when the 2nd Age comes again, I’m sure you know the rest. 

Edited by Harldin

The Aiel have significant authority thanks to their inclusion in the Dragon's Peace, that they lacked in Avi's vision.  For one thing, they would be able to call every nation into a war on the Seanchan, should they determine that they are violating the terms of the Peace.  A big part of how the Empire of the Raven came about was because the Aiel managed to force a war too late, and with too few allies. 

Egwene's later negotiations also secured the release of the Wise Ones that had been captured in any event, when Egwene promised to let the Seanchan collar any marath'damane that wished to be collared, as long as they freed every damane they collared in the Westlands that wished to be freed, and that the Seanchan were allowed to publish and proclaim their position wherever they wished.

What will probably happen is that the Seanchan institution of keeping damane will collapse, and in fairly short order.  This will not be as big a threat to Seanchan power and authority as Tuon fears, though, and they will have little trouble creating flourishing conditions in the nations they hold, which they will use to build up a force sufficient to retake Seandar.  But without much in the way of damane support.  Indeed, I suspect the planned outrigger novels would have much to do with Tuon's reconsidering her positions on channelers, abandoning the use of damane and ultimately embracing her own latent ability to channel.  And Tuon's re-invasion of Seandar would then mirror Luthair's, where instead of liberating Ogier from under the thumb of rogue channelers, they liberate leashed channelers from under the thumb of the remnants of Seanchan nobility contesting to be the new Emperor.

There is one other major difference between the visions that Avi had, and what actually transpires: the changed nature of the crystal columns themselves.  The columns kept working in this new way, for the Wise Ones who went back after Aviendha.  Being able to see the far-flung future results of the path one's currently on is a powerful tool.  With this ability at their disposal, the Wise Ones will be almost unstoppable in being able to create whatever future for the Aiel and the Westlands that they wish.

1 hour ago, Thrasymachus said:

The Aiel have significant authority thanks to their inclusion in the Dragon's Peace, that they lacked in Avi's vision.  For one thing, they would be able to call every nation into a war on the Seanchan, should they determine that they are violating the terms of the Peace.  A big part of how the Empire of the Raven came about was because the Aiel managed to force a war too late, and with too few allies. 

Egwene's later negotiations also secured the release of the Wise Ones that had been captured in any event, when Egwene promised to let the Seanchan collar any marath'damane that wished to be collared, as long as they freed every damane they collared in the Westlands that wished to be freed, and that the Seanchan were allowed to publish and proclaim their position wherever they wished.

What will probably happen is that the Seanchan institution of keeping damane will collapse, and in fairly short order.  This will not be as big a threat to Seanchan power and authority as Tuon fears, though, and they will have little trouble creating flourishing conditions in the nations they hold, which they will use to build up a force sufficient to retake Seandar.  But without much in the way of damane support.  Indeed, I suspect the planned outrigger novels would have much to do with Tuon's reconsidering her positions on channelers, abandoning the use of damane and ultimately embracing her own latent ability to channel.  And Tuon's re-invasion of Seandar would then mirror Luthair's, where instead of liberating Ogier from under the thumb of rogue channelers, they liberate leashed channelers from under the thumb of the remnants of Seanchan nobility contesting to be the new Emperor,

There is one other major difference between the visions that Avi had, and what actually transpires: the changed nature of the crystal columns themselves.  The columns kept working in this new way, for the Wise Ones who went back after Aviendha.  Being able to see the far-flung future results of the path one's currently on is a powerful tool.  With this ability at their disposal, the Wise Ones will be almost unstoppable in being able to create whatever future for the Aiel and the Westlands that they wish.

You may be correct that the status quo will stay in place, but I don’t think that is what Jordan was getting with the vision. I really think that what he was saying is that the 4th Age will be the Age of Empire and that a great Empire will rise to dominate the world, to do that the Aes Sedai would have to go, remembering that Tar Valon falls in Avi’s vision. 

I wouldn’t trust Tuon as far as i could throw her. She is not an idiot, she come to realise that the Dark Ones forces were the greater enemy and had to be defeated above all else and she accepted an alliance with the lessor enemy to defeat the greater. 
She as strong a believer in the Collar for woman who can Channel as anyone in the books, i find it very hard to believe she would surrender any Damane, especially when you consider that nobody is in any position to force her for at least 10 years after the final battle. All the “Westland” nations are in a severely weakened state, Armies have been decimated, Food production has slowed to a trickle. With several thousand Damane and a still powerful Army and a more stable Nation as far from the fighting as you can get, Tuon is actually in a very strong position to seize the entire Continent right now. 

Except that half the surviving Seanchan nobility heard her negotiations with Egwene, and backing out of what they agreed to, no matter how that meeting ended, would "lower her eyes" forever and weaken her political influence.  If Cadsuane is shrewd enough to keep Egwene's side of the bargain, and with Mat and Min's constant influence, Tuon will at some point have to accept the loss of damane.  More than that, the mere rumor that sul'dam can learn to channel will go a great way towards undermining the Seanchan power structure surrounding damane.  And that's not a rumor that can easily be squashed now that so many influential people know of it.

Avi's vision has been almost wholly subverted.  What she saw will, with absolute certainty, not happen now.  She herself has made certain of it, by changing nearly everything she had the power to change.  She got the Aiel included in the Dragon's Peace.  She commits the Aiel to not wage war on the Seanchan.  She gets Wise Ones to go back through the crystal columns a second time, where they now learn the future of the path they tread.  And, trivially, she's changing the names of her children, which she learned in her last vision.

As for what will happen in the Fourth Age, it's all speculation.  Avi's visions are no longer a reliable guidepost.  If the next Age is an Age of Empire, then it is as likely to be an Aiel Empire as a Seanchan one.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it seems pretty clear Rand has no interest in holding any position of power or influence again; it's said straight out about him wanting to see the world, not just palaces. So I'd imagine he wanders and travels, living among the common people doing odd jobs, helping re-build towns and re-plant farms, playing the flute at inns. That'd have a nice parallel with his early journey out of the Two Rivers. 

Eventually he probably settles down, maybe buying a farm, possibly an inn. I'm inclined to believe it'll be an inn, farming might be a little too bittersweet for him and I don't think Rand would want to be so removed he wouldn't even hear rumors of events. No, I think Rand retiring as a innkeeper makes sense. And my gut says he might settle down near the Seanchan controlled lands. Maybe partially to keep an eye on them, but also because he's seen how well they care for their people, and most of all it's close to Min. 

The 3 aren't much of a concern, I think. Rand didn't spend much time with any of them except Min, and they've all proven to be dutiful people who can be content with their own responsibilities and the occasional visit with Rand. Maybe it's not what any of them want, but they can live with it. So Avi and E likely slip into Rand's room now and then, or he slips into theirs if his new abilities allow for Traveling, and if he settles around Ebou Dar then Min is close at hand too.

Cads isn't a worry; she clearly knew it was Rand, and not Morridin, escaping during the funeral but she's not going to try and draw him into anything. He fought the Last Battle, that's all Cads wanted from him. And Rand would have considerable political influence if the world knew he lived. She wouldn't want the potential rival, especially considering Rand's opinion of the White Tower. She'll be perfectly happy to leave Rand to his quiet life, and will desperately hope to never even hear the rumor of rumors concerning him ever again.