DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Logain Or Taim: Who Do You Like More?

Ayend'an

I've seen several threads devoted to Logain vs. Taim and their respective strengths in the Power, but this one is purely subjective. I'm just curious: which false Dragon's your favorite? Mine's Mazrim Taim, but it's a close call. (This was originally supposed to be a poll, but my phone derped, so.)

Edited by Adastreia

2 hours ago, Adastreia said:

I'm just horribly disappointed that we never saw Logain and Taim's first meeting, and their early days at the Black Tower. 

Ditto.

However, I was never really someone who liked Taim. I do admit that he is a very interesting villain. But, I am also pleased with the impact that Logain had in the books. Rarely, when he was in the scenes, did Logain play a minor, bit part in the story. 

I like Logain more. Stopping the Trolloc attack at the Ruins in AMOL gives me tears in my eyes each time I read that and the reaction of everyone he saved. It is beautiful. It really makes me enjoy his arc through the books. A truly heroic journey, that sums up the message of the story. That anyone can be a hero and play a part no matter how big or small in saving the world.

Edited by wotfan4472

• 1 year later...

Logain for sure. He is more interesting to me. He gets gentled, then gets promised revenge, he is healed and they still hold on to him and even consider whether they should gentle him again or kill him. He went through a lot more than Taim IMO.

Edited by The Gambler Matrim
Wanted to expand.

7 minutes ago, The Gambler Matrim said:

I wonder if Taim was already committed to the Shadow or if it had to do with Rand dumping everything on him and never being around?

He was rescued by the Black Ajah, had originally been intended to be DemandredSurprise when he showed up, and those he promoted mostly showed all the characteristics of being jerks.

My only question is whether he was always a DF, or he got turned himself.

Edited by Zorlon

8 minutes ago, The Gambler Matrim said:

I would think always a DF. From the very beginning he had that "almost smirk".

Yes, but we still first meet him after his rescue by the Black Ajah

That almost smirk from the begining can be read as written to show Demandred's contempt for the primitives around him, but after the plot swap it could be argued that smirk and Perein's later  thinking he smells like a nutcase could best be read as showing the side effects of a Turning.

Or it could just be a dude who has been channeling way too long but still made his own choices freely.

Edited by Zorlon

7 minutes ago, DemandredFO said:

If he was turned, I'd think it would be remarked upon when the light began figuring out what was going on. Also turning seems liked it should reverse once the DO is sealed.

Where would they have had opportunity to figure it out? The Black Tower Turnings were discovered only because some were observed being done, Taim's would have been long before that.

As for reversing? Why, because the Blight got better and Shadowspawn died? It's pretty clear those things weren't part of the world, at least in the same way Stedding are not. They can't be entered from TAR. So in a sense they can be seen as needing the Shadow to hold down a dead man's switch upon the pattern to keep them going.

What if the turning though requires no maitenance in order to keep up, rather its just a one time recajiggering of some things?

In any event what does the nature of the Turning have to do with what we saw of Taim considering that if he were Turned he would have been Turned before we were introduced to him, and Egwene slew him before the Bore was Sealed?

10 hours ago, The Gambler Matrim said:

I just read in aMoL where Demandrad thinks to himself that he came to Taim to recruit him to the Shadow.

Well that settles that, even if it is  a Sandersonism.

Thanks for the research.

It still leaves the narrative question though of why, once it was decided Taim was not Demandred, Perrin smelled such odd emotions from him.

But there's probably no more answer for that then there is for the early bookisms.

Edited by Zorlon