DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

When Mountains Roar: Planning (Input please!)

Cass

Anyone interested in a series of shortish rp prompts based on passages from the books?

The first one I have in mind involves the destructive, sulphurous wind from Dragonmount that is mentioned in Chapter 1 of KoD.

The idea would be that the same wind affects the Citadel, the Stedding, the Farm and anywhere else Alliance members wish to be when it hits. Think sudden cyclonic-type conditions (perhaps with that eerie calm in between two rounds) of dangerous flying debris and destruction, injuries, ash, stink of the Dark One, general chaos... 

?

Just looking for expressions of interest and:

- Preference for a day or night event (books follow the wind at night, we could do either);

- Ideas for major damage/events concerning people/property in each group (if desired); and

- Whether people think the cyclonic wind is enough or want some extra bubble-of-evil-esque action too (eg. Being attacked by a herd of ghost trollocs/other weird event ideas?)

I'm with my fellow BTers. I've always wanted to take part in some books prompts, even if they're broadly defined or super insignificant. Night at the BT sounds fun. Especially if it happened when everyone was asleep. There were 2 Trollocs in one of our scenes and then a minor bubble of evil in another (a single overgrown weevil), so I wouldn't mind if we used either one of those. It would create a nice scene of panic if everyone was roused in the middle of the night because of something big and scary happening (like in Salidar... Forgot what exactly happened... I just remember the Aes Sedai thought the Forsaken were attacking, but they weren't. So they linked and searched Salidar for the threat in the middle of the night.)

Perhaps Merdyn's soup kitchen explodes in the middle of the night and hundreds of overgrown weevils errupt from the smoking wreckage? So not only do the BTers have to deal with that, but most of their food stores are then destroyed. Just an idea. Especially considering Merdyn and Ful have a scene atm where they're buying foodstuffs, so that would just suck for everyone. I know I'd be upset if everything I bought was now engulfed in flames.

Other than that, I'm down for anything. I also loved  the mention of talking and two-headed farm animals in the books, so if we don't do something as dramatic as an explosion, talking animals would be a fun one too. Especially if they were rude and foul-mouthed lol. But that would just end up being more of a comedic scene, I think.

We need more of a threat to keep our characters on edge (other than the last battle) so I would prefer a more violent or frightening scene.

Yey @Matalina, and Lih for Tris! (Also, Nano in July?)

Good ideas @Oddpositions, can you remember where in the books the Salidar search happened? A link-and-search for ultimately non-existent threat (beyond the destructive wind and associated carnage) might be a good/dark-and-disturbing BT focus/response?

It could be similar across all groups: the wind is plenty to deal with, but everyone is afraid/has reasons to believe there's a direct attack of some sort - which is somewhat more unsettling when it isn't actually something they can confront/fight...

Would it be better as three separate threads, or all in one ??

Not that there can't be multiple ones just thought I'd let ya know we did a bubble of evil RP back in the day.  I'm pretty sure that the boards still have them around somewhere.  If anyone is interested.

As a side note The Congress of Shadow did all of ours in Poetry/Verse was kinda fun.  I think I linked in the thread in one of Aiden's posts

*edit* and yes I'm having fun in NaNo

Edited by Matalina

@The Don have you resurrected your CoS character?

I'd love to do a CoS character, but Merd and Viv keep me very, very busy... Once they have attained the second pin and the shawl... Maybe... I digress. It would be amazing to get a CoS character in on the action.

I also had an idea of a 'phantom dragon reborn' attacking everyone, bubble of evil to be sure. If not now, it might be a fun scene to pursue in the future, especially for us BTers...

What better way to sow confusion and Discord amongst the forces of the Light? 

21 hours ago, Oddpositions said:

LoC chapter 14, dreams and nightmares @Cass

Thanks!

19 hours ago, Arinth said:

Id love to do prompts from the books, count me in

Yey!/Done

18 hours ago, Lih-Lyh said:

For me it makes sense to do one thread tied by the foul wind.

unless you feel like different locations would be too confusing :) we could put at the beginning where the character is 

Kinda what I'm thinking...

16 hours ago, Matalina said:

Not that there can't be multiple ones just thought I'd let ya know we did a bubble of evil RP back in the day.  I'm pretty sure that the boards still have them around somewhere.  If anyone is interested.

As a side note The Congress of Shadow did all of ours in Poetry/Verse was kinda fun.  I think I linked in the thread in one of Aiden's posts

*edit* and yes I'm having fun in NaNo

I did see this happened at some point ... wasn't it a rpg-wide thing, with each group having their own thread/ events?

I figure the frequency of freaky events/bubbles is likely to increase as the timeline moves on and the Dark One gains strength/world nears the Last Battle...

We're only at Book 11 right now, but Book 12 has Hinderstap Village for eg, and I'm suuuuuuper looking forward to doing our version of that!!

Hey Jagen, yep for sure, the more the merrier! And nope, hasn't started, I figured there's enough going on at the moment (?) and I don't want people to get overloaded.

Also still trying to figure out how to set it across all three alliance groups >.<

I don't remember taking animals either,  but thought it might be in the bits I haven't read...

@Jagen Sedai and @Cass there were one or two throwaway lines about talking/two-headed animals. I can scour the books if you want, I know it was mentioned sometime after book 3... It got brought up 2 or 3 times, IIRC. Usually, it was a main character (I wanna say Nyneave or Elayne was one of them) remarking on the 'common folk' talking about nonsensical rumors.

LoC chapter 7:" There were reports of strange occurrences in Illian and Cairhien—there might have been others, but those were the ones they saw—villages taken by madness, nightmares walking in daylight, two-headed calves that talked, Shadowspawn appearing out of thin air."

LoC chapter 12: "Most of the muted talk seemed to be about the weather. That and tales from elsewhere about strange happenings, two-headed calves talking and men smothered by swarms of flies, all the children in a village disappearing in the middle of the night and people struck dead by something unseen in broad daylight."

I think there was another mention in the next book, but it's generally the same thing that was said above. 

• Arie locked this topic