DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thanks for that, RJ....

Wulf

So, I'm reading through Lord of Chaos at the moment.  None of the cover art is particularly good, but this one kinda crosses the line into 'trashy romance' territory.

My wife's made a few joking comments about it, and then she finally decided to open it up to a random page and read a sampling.

Anybody want to place bets on which page she opened it to?

If you guessed "Gawyn gently laying Egwene down in a dream-meadow", come and collect your prize.

So there's my story....  Anybody else ever feel less than proud to be waving these books around?

Lord of Chaos was my FAVORITE book of the series when I was reading it (Sometime around when Crossroads of Twilight came out) but I refused to be seen with that harlequin novel cover.  I ended up doing something that is anathema to me: I would bend the cover around to cover the back!

Nowadays I have a skin condition and can't read paper copies of books any longer.  All my books are now on my Paperwhite; so they have the pretty covers now, LoL.

However, my Audible books all have the original covers so...yeah.  The embarrassment has returned!

I'm on to A Crown of Swords now, and while the cover art is much more subdued (yay), it brings up a question I've been curious about for a while....

Did they pay a bunch of hobos some cheap booze to bind these books?

I think tEotW is the only paperback in the series that isn't falling apart in some way.

For aCoS, Chapter 14 and beyond are completely separated from the rest of the book, though mostly still glued to itself.  I'm going to lose the first few pages of 14 the first time I try reading outside on a windy day though.

I can't recall which has which, but between Fires and Shadow Rising, one of them has the cover completely separated, and one has the back cover torn off because the cover started to unglue and catch on everything weirdly.

The other books in the series that aren't mid-self-destruct are well on their way to starting.  Every read through causes a few more pages to separate more from the glue and hang on by their last precious half inch.

I like to think I'm not terribly rough on books, but this series alone seems to crumble at my touch.  Every other series I have is holding up fine.

Anybody else share my experience, or am I secretly a monster?

Well, me and Maedelin, the Book-Bender.

2 hours ago, Wulf said:

I'm on to A Crown of Swords now, and while the cover art is much more subdued (yay), it brings up a question I've been curious about for a while....

Did they pay a bunch of hobos some cheap booze to bind these books?

I think tEotW is the only paperback in the series that isn't falling apart in some way.

For aCoS, Chapter 14 and beyond are completely separated from the rest of the book, though mostly still glued to itself.  I'm going to lose the first few pages of 14 the first time I try reading outside on a windy day though.

I can't recall which has which, but between Fires and Shadow Rising, one of them has the cover completely separated, and one has the back cover torn off because the cover started to unglue and catch on everything weirdly.

The other books in the series that aren't mid-self-destruct are well on their way to starting.  Every read through causes a few more pages to separate more from the glue and hang on by their last precious half inch.

I like to think I'm not terribly rough on books, but this series alone seems to crumble at my touch.  Every other series I have is holding up fine.

Anybody else share my experience, or am I secretly a monster?

Well, me and Maedelin, the Book-Bender.

Nope, a number of my WOT books are falling apart as well. The binding is really subpar. These days, I just read them on my kobo or listen to the audio version.

All my copies, with the except of The Shadow Rising, are hardcover. Their binding has held up nicely to multiple re-reads.

• 1 month later...
On 5/14/2018 at 2:51 AM, Vambram said:

All my copies, with the except of The Shadow Rising, are hardcover. Their binding has held up nicely to multiple re-reads.

For sure hardcover holds up better than paperback, but I do most of my readings on the commute, and those are no fun to lug around.

You know what's funny is, even though DKS's covers are by no means good, whenever I'm in a thrift store looking at books, I immediately pick out any that look like he did the covers, figuring it's probably Fantasy genre, and it always has been so far.

Ok, so I didn’t really know where to put this post as I can’t find a Towers of Midnight specific thread. Also I’m on my phone in work so can’t really browse properly but after 12 years of reading this series I have finally finished book 13 and I am ready to start A Memory of Light! I started reading the series in 2006 when a terminally ill member of my family knew I loved reading and asked if I would read the eye of the world for her to let her know if it was worth reading. She knew that it would probably be one of the last books she ever read and so wanted to make sure it was a good one. Filled with determination to finish the book as quickly as I could to give her my opinion I picked it up and within 2 days had finished it! I was hooked! Sadly for my family member she didn’t get to experience the wheel of time series and every time I pick up one of the books I get a sense she’s watching me! Over the years I have had multiple re reads of the first 8 books as I kept re reading them in preparation as newer books came out. Unfortunately life got in the way and my reading of the series slowed down! I travelled the world, I finished university, lived abroad, bought a house and my partner gave birth to our son. All of this stopped me from finishing the series and the furthest I had gotten was book 9. In February this year I decided I had to know the ending. My son was older and life was getting easier and so I picked up the eye of the world and started to read. I was filled with memories of my life as I read each chapter and what I was doing the other times I had read the books. As I approached the Brandon Sanderson books I worried for the series. The later Robert Jordan books slowed to an almost immovable pace. Some scenes were almost impossible to read as the narrative progressed at an agonisingly Slow pace and the thought that another author was about to take over the series that had dominated my life like no other worried me. In my opinion I had nothing to worry about, while sanderson’s writing style took some time to adjust to when applied to the wheel of time, the change in pace and perspective was refreshing and I found that reading his books was some of the most enjoyable experiences I had with the series. I quickly whizzed through the first two and last night closed the book after reading the last 180 pages of TofM in one sitting. By this point it was after midnight and I couldn’t pick up the final book knowing that I was too tired to give it my full dedication. Tonight I will start it and finally begin approaching the end that I have waited for for 12 years! I’ve managed to avoid most spoilers and although I have some ideas about how I think the story will end I can honestly say that I have no clue what will happen and I am excited to finally find out!