DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Howdy - If you couldn't tell, I'm new!

ImNerdy

Hello!

My name is Sarah. At the behest of my friend, I began reading (aka listening) to The Wheel of Time series on Audible. I started with A New Spring and I'm about 6 hours from completing The Dragon Reborn right now. I already have The Shadow Rising queued up and ready for listening as soon as this one concludes. 

I'm pretty addicted already. I know I'm far from the end of the series, but I like it better than the GOT series so far. I'm really excited for the adaptation, assuming it doesn't suck. 

• RP - LEGACY

Welcome to DM. I'm currently on Book Four. Plans are to read it straight through.

Feel free to look around. There's certainly a lot to do and get involved with, if you choose. Folks are pretty friendly, so don't be afraid to ask questions. And be sure to check out the various social groups. There's always something happening someplace on here.

Glad you decided to join us.

Hello and welcome!

You should check out the social side of DM definitely, but be careful about spoilers in the discussion boards. Hope you'll have tons of fun here!!

Also, what Dar said :tongue:

I'm pretty addicted already. I know I'm far from the end of the series, but I like it better than the GOT series so far. I'm really excited for the adaptation, assuming it doesn't suck. 

You like it better than GoT cause it is better :)

Welcome to DM!

Welcome! 

I love both series, The Wheel of Time, and A Song of Ice and Fire. I think that WoT leans a little more towards YA in comparison to GoT, but that makes it no less epic. Both series bog down after awhile. There's not telling if GoT will snap out of its drudgery, but if the show is any indication, it will. WoT definitely picks back up again in Book 11 after a couple/few volumes that could have used better editing, but something cool happens in each book, to be sure, and the endings are generally pretty awesome or finish as cliffhangers.

I am listening to it for the first time. I've read the series twice (but the final book only once). I'm glad you like it, and I'm glad that you found us! You can always discuss the books here, but unless you are on the Structured Wheel of Time Discussion boards, you are likely to meet with spoilers. The social side of this site is fun and welcoming, and there is also serious role play. 

You will find that there are several people here from Arizona, and I can think of two from the Phoenix area right offhand, so you should feel at home in more ways than one. Again, welcome! :smile:

Welcome! 

I love both series, The Wheel of Time, and A Song of Ice and Fire. I think that WoT leans a little more towards YA in comparison to GoT, but that makes it no less epic. Both series bog down after awhile. There's not telling if GoT will snap out of its drudgery, but if the show is any indication, it will. WoT definitely picks back up again in Book 11 after a couple/few volumes that could have used better editing, but something cool happens in each book, to be sure, and the endings are generally pretty awesome or finish as cliffhangers.

I am listening to it for the first time. I've read the series twice (but the final book only once). I'm glad you like it, and I'm glad that you found us! You can always discuss the books here, but unless you are on the Structured Wheel of Time Discussion boards, you are likely to meet with spoilers. The social side of this site is fun and welcoming, and there is also serious role play. 

You will find that there are several people here from Arizona, and I can think of two from the Phoenix area right offhand, so you should feel at home in more ways than one. Again, welcome! :smile:

Thanks Ben! That's awesome that there are Phoenix folk about. 

I do really like the GoT series, and I agree that WoT isn't as adult, so far. I'm assuming there are no gratuitous sex scenes coming up anytime soon, haha. Now, I'm speaking purely from where I am right now in the series, but I think I like WoT more because it's not just all doom and gloom. It's the same reason why I enjoyed The Hobbit more than the LOTR trilogy. I also like series that allow the reader to "evolve" with the characters as opposed to forcing them on you, which I feel WoT is doing well.

There is sorrow yet to come in WoT; it does not remain The Hobbit forever, and even in The Hobbit, Thorin died.

The characters in WoT grow nicely. A few of them change quite a bit from beginning to end. Others have less dramatic progressions. There is no graphic sex in the series, and I don't think that any of the sex that is in the series is gratuitous. It all serves the plot. Really, they almost have Victorian standards, so there's a whole lot more blushing going on than any actual sex. They think of sex, then they blush and scold themselves for thinking about sex, at least in most instances, when they aren't being as forward as Saldaean farm girls at harvest, anyway.

Ohai!  Another Phoenician!

I know of two others off the top of my head, plus a couple of folks in Apache Junction and one in Prescott Valley, so Arizona is pretty well represented here at DM.   Welcome!  The air conditioning here is fully operational and there's no need to go outside when you're immersed in the books, right?  :laugh:

A Song of Ice and Fire/GoT is probably my favorite series, but WoT is a close second, and I feel more at home here at Dragonmount than any of the GoT fan sites.  The community here is amazing, and the social groups are a ton of fun (if subject to occasional accidental spoilers).  Thanks for stopping in and introducing yourself, hope you stick around! :biggrin: