DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Travel Week]: I Hate Travel

Mrs. Cindy Gill

and representing the antithesis we have hiarth and ryrin :)

I know the Tavel industry exists because most enjoy or at least don't mind travel. if I had the wherewithal I'd start a branch of the industry to serve those of us who have a hard time with it but like most, must occasionally leave home.

there might be cookies.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there re all kinds of exploration and many paths turn inward, or outward through books.

but no one could convince you that you don't love and need te journey, and no one could convince me that I ever want to take a trip.

is very step of every travel blissful for you, or do

little things or big ones kind of bug you a little, too?

I find some things to enjoy on a trip but the

minuses for me far outweigh the pluses.

is very step of every travel blissful for you, or do

little things or big ones kind of bug you a little, too

Driving with a migraine, a failed headlight or a bug-smeared windshield without any wiper fluid is admittedly tedious.

There are moments in every hike when the body demands we lay down our belongings and go no further. One of our hikers had a seizure on the Big Bend trail and she had to be evacuated to the base camp. Since I deal with migraines, I seriously considered going back with her and the student guide but everything worked out for me in the end.

Driving with my father to Michigan to see his mom one last time in hospice care was probably the hardest drive I've ever made but it was necessary if he wanted to see her one last time while she still breathed.

Not every journey is pleasant or safe, I'll grant you that.

I had a 17 year old kid sit down in the seat in front of me and once the seat belt sign went off, he put his seat all the way back so he was basically in my lap.  When drinks came by the flight attendant had to ask him to sit up so I could get a drink and access the movies on the back of the seat.

F0_0200_0000_img_8417.jpg

I love airports.  People watching and all the fun things that you overhear make them worth the wait.  Only bad experiences I've had were getting lost in the airport in Amsterdam and not realizing I had to get my boarding pass reprinted when I was in Belgium.

I absolutely hate flying though.  I'm way too polite - I have always had a window seat, and I don't want to disturb the person next to me just to get up and stretch and head to the bathroom.  I can never get comfortable on an airplane either, there's some people that I've seen that literally fall asleep and then sleep the whole way there.  I envy them so much.  I'm constantly tossing and turning and waking up every 10 minutes when I finally manage to sleep.  The worst experience was when I sat on an 8 hour flight from Toronto to Edinburgh, and the whole way there my stomach felt like it was going to explode, it hurt so bad.  And then I had to wait in the longest passport control line ever since I had the good fortune to be seated in the very last row of seats. 

Thankfully, there were very cool people I had the chance to chat with on the plane and in that line.  A couple from Arkansas struck up a conversation with me in the passport control line and I could have literally hugged them because of how much that meant.  And the guy I ended up sitting next to became a good friend of mine while I was in Edinburgh too.  Basically, it boils down to people = amazing, actual process = not so great, if that makes sense.

I am home from my travels! As usual, planes and the whole process of getting to the airport, on the plane and back off again sucks, but being in a new place and exploring was great!

I very much enjoy going places, but I hate traveling mostly because of motion sickness.  The only time I don't get motion sick in a moving vehicle is when I drive and I hate driving.  All of my family and most of my friends live at least 8 hours away driving, so if I want to see them often at all I am forced to fly,  The last time i flew I had a hangover(stupidity) besides being sick and I felt like I was going to die before I got home.  Therefore I have decided I will never fly again.

I am very lucky that most of the people I really want to see will come to me or else I may never see anyone ever again.

I've spent the weekend starting to get ready for next weekends trip. Packing and prepping food and the little things we need, getting people to feed the kitties, thinking of more stuff to do than I have energy to do... Worrying that someone will get sick and we won't be able to see the family. Disappointing friends I won't be able to see.

It seems on the bell curve of travel most people fall somewhere in the middle - they enjoy some travel, when there's a reason for it, when there's a reasonably comfortable and safe route. They have some smaller or greater difficulties and make the best of what they can.

most of us aren't hardcore travel haters like me, or dam the torpedoes full steam aheads, either.

It's been good to learn I'm not the only one who'd rather not, and it's been better to learn that people with greater difficulties than mine overcome them and make the most of it.

I travel to see the folks I can't see any other way. And to go to doctors I can't seem to replace. And a teeny tiny part of me still kind of likes a little road trip to familiar old places I guess.

So off we go... There and back again, and may the road go ever... Home.

I very much enjoy going places, but I hate traveling mostly because of motion sickness.  The only time I don't get motion sick in a moving vehicle is when I drive and I hate driving.  All of my family and most of my friends live at least 8 hours away driving, so if I want to see them often at all I am forced to fly,  The last time i flew I had a hangover(stupidity) besides being sick and I felt like I was going to die before I got home.  Therefore I have decided I will never fly again.

I am very lucky that most of the people I really want to see will come to me or else I may never see anyone ever again.

8 hours to my family and every plane trip hungover and sick, ya.

The world is just too big :/

I am home from my travels! As usual, planes and the whole process of getting to the airport, on the plane and back off again sucks, but being in a new place and exploring was great!

I'm glad you had a great time!!!

I will never stop traveling till I'm dead and planted. Who knows, maybe that will be the biggest trip of all.

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived