DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Travel Week]: I Hate Travel

Mrs. Cindy Gill

Welcome to the Brown Ajah Travel Week!

Sadly... I hate travel.

But I love the Brown Ajah and this is one fun event! And bonus, I don't have to travel anywhere for it :smile:

Others will host threads about the wonders and joys of visiting new and old places, having adventures, meeting new people, seeing new things.

Me... I'll be... Different :ohmy:

I have never quite understood the appeal of travel. Why would anyone want to undertake the great and small miseries and inconveniences of leaving home if they could avoid it?

If you ever ask yourself, "what was I thinking?," as you're being patted down and Xrayed by the TSA, or driving in circles trying to find your hotel, or watching the bus you just missed drive off without you or...

If you have ever hated travel, please take the opportunity to commiserate and tell us:

Why do you hate travel?

I'll begin with the tip of the iceberg of why I do.

I love my home. It's not fancy or even fine, but it's mine. I mostly know where things are, and if I need something that isn't in my home, I know where to find it. My husband is here, and at home I rely on him for a lot of things. Our kitties are here, and they really love it when we're here with them.

When I travel, no matter how nice the destination, it's not home. Things aren't where they should be. They're not arranged conveniently or familiarly. And I have no idea where to find the things I need. My husband is with me, and that helps, but I have to rely on myself more than I like. I have to drive and figure out what to do when the Garmin seems drunk. Our kitties are home alone and I can feel them missing us :sad:

Minor stuff, really. There's more but that's enough to start.

Travel. I don't see the point.

If you feel the way I do, even a little just now and then - this is the place to whine about it :biggrin:

Feel free to post pictures that say more than a thousand whimpers ever could.

And once again Welcome to the Brown Ajah's Travel Week!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I like about travel: you get to see cool things like monuments and museums and stuff. You can also meet interesting people; most of the travel I've done within the last ten years or so has involved meeting up with people I've gotten to know and like in assorted online communities.

What I don't like about travel: eating can ge both a positive and a negative. While you get to experience some tasty cuisine from other areas, if you have dietary issues of any kind, you can only fully trust whatever you bring from home or make for yourself. Most travelers will be eating at restaurants a lot. This means you need to have a limited range of things you can get on any given menu, and even then you need to spend some time going "I'll have this, but hold this, this, and this." Even then, eating restaurant food for every meal for a few days has left me not feeling well at times. I can't handle vacations of more than four or five days anymore.

I love to travel for a lot of reasons but there is one thing that I don´t like - motion sickness. (Is that the correct English word?) I can get really sick on boats, especially if it´s stormy. I can also get sick in  busses, cars and on trains, even if that doesn´t happen as often. I have learned to eat before I travel a long way and to look on the road. I have a problem with the air in the plane when it starts and before it lands too. 

Yup, that's what we call it in English. Oddly enough, I haven't had a problem with it since I was 5, even in rough seas on a small boat (the only kind of travel I like is in boats). But I remember when they had to stop the car every fifteen minutes so I could be sick.

The air on planes makes me sick, too. Literally virally sick, I think because we're re-breathing other people's germs :/.

Ugh the packing...

We're going away for a weekend in a couple weeks and I'm dreading packing already. And the repacking. And the unpacking. And not being able to do laundry while we're away or any of the things we need to do on weekends and having to figure out how to get it all done during the work week.

Ya packing and suitcases are not a happy thing.

I'm going to London tomorrow, and as much as I love to explore places and cultures and finding my way around when I'm there, I really hate the process of getting there. Airplanes and airports are the bane of my existence. I think it is because I have to relate to other people for an extended amount of time. Being polite and proper. Handle stares and glances. Ugh. It's not for me!

(ironically I love people watching...)

I just laughed a LOT at that discussion on the height of the mountain.

I love meeting new people. I love seeing different places. I love trying new things. 

The parts of travel I dislike is the take off and landing of airplanes - my ears can't take that.

Additionally, I am really afraid of meeting people that I am supposed to know. It scares me, and stresses me out.

I don't know what ya'll are smokin' out there in Teh Interwebs but living out of a suitcase is a healthy reminder that we are not owned by our possessions. If life could be condensed to a suitcase, what would it consist of? If you only had room for one or two books, what would it be? How would you spend your life suddenly unencumbered: in the pursuit of fulfilling experiences and memories or would you begin anew the task of acquiring more stuff?

I realize that is a false dichotomy but, oh well!

I'm going to London tomorrow, and as much as I love to explore places and cultures and finding my way around when I'm there, I really hate the process of getting there. Airplanes and airports are the bane of my existence. I think it is because I have to relate to other people for an extended amount of time. Being polite and proper. Handle stares and glances. Ugh. It's not for me!

(ironically I love people watching...)

Airports are The Worst!

I was promised transporters.... Where are the transporters??

I just laughed a LOT at that discussion on the height of the mountain.

I love meeting new people. I love seeing different places. I love trying new things. 

The parts of travel I dislike is the take off and landing of airplanes - my ears can't take that.

Additionally, I am really afraid of meeting people that I am supposed to know. It scares me, and stresses me out.

Is it the living up to expectations thing?

I can't stand that :/

I don't know what ya'll are smokin' out there in Teh Interwebs but living out of a suitcase is a healthy reminder that we are not owned by our possessions. If life could be condensed to a suitcase, what would it consist of? If you only had room for one or two books, what would it be? How would you spend your life suddenly unencumbered: in the pursuit of fulfilling experiences and memories or would you begin anew the task of acquiring more stuff?

I realize that is a false dichotomy but, oh well!

I love my stuff. I love the place where I keep my stuff.

My possessions are things I bought to make me happy. They are restful yo my eyes and ease my anxieties.

Work and commuting and to a lesser and greater extent, travel, are nothing but anxiety to me.

All I think about is getting back home and as soon as I do the burdens of the world are gone and I am at peace.

I've lived out of suitcases for too long. When Mr. Gill and I were courting, I traveled every other weekend and by the end of a few months I spent the entire trip with a painful spasm from my neck to my hand, banging my head against the headrest, growling, I hate traveling, I hate traveling, I hate traveling.

Mercifully, I got to stop making the road trip soon after.

You can keep the joy of suitcases. I have the joy of home :happy:

Archived