DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Travel Week]: I Hate Travel

Mrs. Cindy Gill

I lived out of my backpack while hiking through the Chihuahuan desert at Big Bend State Park. It was ERMAHGERD AHMERZING. We marched beneath canopies of cottonwood, down into earth through canyon and ravine, over sky and into night. We slept beneath the stars, we had to dig for water twice and we made peace with death as a swarm of bees flew overhead. I came back, strange and new.

I promise I didn't eat any cactus buds.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just laughed a LOT at that discussion on the height of the mountain.

I love meeting new people. I love seeing different places. I love trying new things. 

The parts of travel I dislike is the take off and landing of airplanes - my ears can't take that.

Additionally, I am really afraid of meeting people that I am supposed to know. It scares me, and stresses me out.

Is it the living up to expectations thing?

I can't stand that :/

Probably. I feel like I should know them, since I do know their minds very well, but then when I see them in person my mind just can't place the mind and the image I now have, together. 

I just laughed a LOT at that discussion on the height of the mountain.

I love meeting new people. I love seeing different places. I love trying new things. 

The parts of travel I dislike is the take off and landing of airplanes - my ears can't take that.

Additionally, I am really afraid of meeting people that I am supposed to know. It scares me, and stresses me out.

Is it the living up to expectations thing?

I can't stand that :/

Probably. I feel like I should know them, since I do know their minds very well, but then when I see them in person my mind just can't place the mind and the image I now have, together.

Most people are very different in totality than in text or even voice. Ya, it's scary.

Also, bathing was limited to wet wipes and specialized shampoo. On day four of the hike, I wrung out my clothing in water filtered from a cesspool and scrubbed them against boulders. It felt so good to have clean underroos.

I haven't showered since last night around 8 and I feel like I could use a silkwood style decontamination shower.

I love traveling.  I like to "see" history.  The U.S. is very new.  I like very old.  So, Iceland, Europe, Ireland, the Middle East, and Africa are on my list to go-some again (haven't been to Africa/Ireland/Iceland yet.)

The negatives: missing doggies and birds, can't find a laundromat, Israeli hotels shutting the pool down at 6pm.

If I won the lottery I would burrow into a hobbit hole and never go anywhere. Except the ocean, which would be out the back door. I would have people bring stuff to me. Ayup.

AHAHA! I hear ya. Is it a hobbit hole? And is your view as good? Cause then I can agree.

My main problem with travelling is the energy it takes and the amount of pain I know I'll have to endure. Especially since we don't have a car; we need to take the train to get to the airport, wich is a 3 1/2 hour trainride away. And to get to get to the train station we need to either take a bus or a taxi. So If our plane leaves at 5 in the afternoon, we'll need to leave home at about 10 in the morning usually. So by the time we even get to the airport, I'm tired and drained of energy, and my body is aching like mad. And it'll just get worse and worse by the time we finally arrive. Being on a plane is painful, I don't deal well with sitting unless I either have something to prop my legs up on, or I have a table to lean on. Just sitting upright will be painful after five minutes. Fibromyalgi is fun.

That was dreadful when we were going home from Turkey in May. 2 1/2 hour busride from our hotel to the airport, 4 hour planeride, and since our plane arrived at 2am at night, we had 5 hours at the airport before the first train left at 7 am... I was almost crying from exhaustion by the time we got home.

My other biggest pet peve about travelling is food. Being dependant on bying food from cafés, kiosks or resturants, it gets expensive real fast, and most of the time the food is crap (I have quite high standards for food...). I hate paying the same amount for a dry, not very nice sandwich as I do for a beautiful bowl of pasta from the husband my resturant works at.

And then of course there is the missing of kitties. I hate leaving them.

I feel every word you wrote, Mish. it's exhausting and painful and gets more so every year.

the food is a serious issue because I'll have to take at least an extra day off from

work just to prepare some food we can eat, because between the expense and the effects of restaurant food, we have to bring most of our meals with us. we need to make sure we get hotel rooms with fridges and microwaves or stay with folks who'll let us use the kitchen. just one more thing to worry about and carry around.

I absolutely could not do without the car for travel, and even driving has become onerous with my knees and back getting worse. I'm dreading the 8

hour round trip and I just wish I could take a week

off to recover because I'll need it.

I miss my friends and family and I almost never see them anymore because of stuff like this. everyone is too far away. we have to do something about that.

you seem travel a bit and make the most of it when you do. that must take incredible effort. and omg the kitties yes they miss us so much. :sad:

We don't travel a whole lot, well quite a lot between our town and the neighoburing town but that's a 15 minute busride, my doctor is in that town and basically it doesn't feel like traveling XD

Usually we don't travel that far; mostly we go to Oslo wich is a 3 hour trainride or 2 hour busride, and that's managable (except for when I have to go there and back again the same day because I have hospital appointments, ugh). When we went to Copenhagen the second time last year, we took the ferry down, thinking that would be better than flying. Sadly it wasn't that much better; I slept horribly (the ferry leaves Norway in the afternoon and arrives in Denmark early morning) and although I didn't get seasick, I managed to get an infection in my inner ear that made me dizzy, nauseous, gave me a splitting headache and a stomachache. I felt like I was dead drunk, honestly, and I hadn't had any alcohol at all. By the time we got back to Oslo and got off the boat, my shape was so bad I had a complete mental meltdown. On the middle of the street in pouring rain. That was embarrasing, to say the least...

But yes, I do try to enjoy myself as much as possible when we do travel, but I usually try to schedule everything from 2 days to 2 weeks without any appointments at all after traveling, because I need time to rest and try to build up a tiny little bit of energy.

Luckily our kitties seem to deal just fine with us going away; if we're away more than one night we make sure someone stops by to fill up their food and water, they're 3 so they keep each other company. If we're away more than 3 nights we ask the person feeding them to hang around for an hour or so, play with them and snuggle with them. Mostly it's my little brother doing the job and he really doesn't mind being able to use our apartment a bit XD

lol that's why we're traveling this month - my doctors are still in my old town. fingers crossed my family can meet us and I can see the baby and my mom and sis.

basel's family feeds the kitties but no one stays with them and they're very lonely. they start getting upset et as soon as they see us packing :/. I wish we could bring them but the only thing they hate worse than being home alone is traveling.

i somewhat enjoy travelling - i guess a better word is appreciate because its not anything i get ver excited over. unless its close to home, like somewhere i can walk to or ride my bike to within a few days, i dont like going anywhere further unless i have a friend with me or i know i have friends waiting for me where i am go. I like seeing different things and, especially with hunting trips, drives home a wonderful sense of freedom and confidence, but im mindful that theres people, humans and animals, where i am going who i might be disturbing by being there and so i like having acquaintances/connections there ahead of time, as a surety of being welcome, or at the very least have someone with me i guess for some safety/familiarty in unfamiliar places, otherwise i dont consider going to the place. i cant stand tourists who have no respect for the area or people as a lot of them do and who are only tolerated for their money so i dont want to be one of those to someone else. my brother is more of a traveler than i am, i would not have gone to much of any of the places ive gone to if he hadnt struck out on his own and been there before me and made the friends/explored it and then offered to show me around there.im otherwise happy to stay withon the general area of home - which i dont just mean my house and land, but the community and places thereabouts in the range i already said

it definitely helps to have someone there you can count on. I think that's why I liked travel better as a youngster - someone else who knew the place and the ways was always in charge. I feel like a stranger in a strange land otherwise. there are places I might like to see but not enough to overcome the anxiety of being out of my own place.

I was on a plane for 13.5 hours to Israel.  It was worth every second.  We left for LAX the night before so we wouldn't be rushed.  Some of our friends left at 4:30 am the day of.  That's crazy, IMO.  We slept nicely and took a shuttle to the airport.

I took a couple days off both before and after.  That made a huge difference.  I was having severe back pain before the trip and upon my return I had an MRI and was taken off work that very day (for 5 months and surgery.)  I figured I could be in pain in Israel or in the city I was in.  I chose Israel.

Our tour had breakfast and most dinners included.  There was awesome food.

Sometimes I take a "girls trip" with my friend Chris and we go to the coast between Christmas and New Year's.  We stay in a place called the Dolphin Inn.  The beach is right there and so is a great two story antique store with a huge library of old books.  Close by we purchase brown butter sea salt cookies.

bbc.jpg

We go to the pier, Barnes and Nobles, Bath and Body Works, eat fish and chips, and have dinner on a deck overlooking the ocean.

Archived