DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chat Thread - Official BotRH Beer Club

Smuttynose never really did it for me.  Their Homunculus is supposed to be great but I didn't love it as much as I should've

Their big beer series in general is quite good. It's their regular offerings that are kind of meh... Their Baltic and Robust porters, though? Absolutely awesome and a total value.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opened up my Founder's Mango Magnifico last night after sitting on it for a year, just to see what would happen.  I've only had it before this on draft at a local Founder's tap takeover event and I don't remember being particularly impressed.  Figured I'd open it for a few friends and see what was up.

The habaneros were still very hot and up in your grill and the mangos were still sweet and hiding behind the peppers, adding a sweet finish that cut the heat to a degree and gave up another layer of flavor, blending sweet and spicy together very nicely.  Much better than I remembered - I think age definitely agrees with this beer.

I found an old bottle of this in my beer cellar!

xgkwcLLl.jpg

Despite being bottled on 020514, the hops are still fairly present. It actually tastes more like a regular amber, now, than a hoppy imperial amber. Not too bad.

Been eying this up for a while, finally bought it yesterday and trying it now... for breakfast of course.

2014-08-19103801_zps564dfd99.jpg

As a person who does not like or drink coffee, I was a little concerned when the overwhelming (but rich) aroma to it was of coffee, but the flavour is quite delicious. It has a thick mouth feel to it, and a roasted coffee flavour, which I am surprisingly enjoying. The aftertaste is somewhat bitter. I'm probably missing other flavours in there, and I'm not sure if I'll repeat it (especially at the price point, this sucker was expensive) but I'm definitely glad to have tried it.

His stuff is pretty rare and expensive here too, though there is a Mikkeller bar down in Stockholm that I'm interested in checking out when I get a chance to go down there.

Nothing so fancy for breakfast, just did some hard boiled eggs with salt and pepper on them. Wanted to focus on tasting the beer.

And I live in Georgia, yo.  I distinctly remember you bashing the South pretty recently.

You saw that I wasn't being serious though, right? And that was mock "hatred" because the South is stealing all my friends?

None of them went to Georgia, though. I hear that place is a dump.

373151_160684970753013_1010023015_n.jpg

PS.

Redstone Arsenal was probably my favorite training base. That's by Huntsville.

Heh.  Regional differences don't bother me, so don't worry about me actually taking offense or anything.  I can understand why people do or do not like it here, there, or anywhere.

So were you serious about grabbing a case?  I actually work at possibly the best liquor store in the Southeast.

Cask night at a local bar. Tried two beers, one was amazing and the other was like drinking Christmas.

The slobber knocker was hoppy, flavorful, very slightly fruity, and all around delicious.

The brown ale was with vanilla and cinammon and tasted like Christmas. Amazing cinnamon bouquet.

gzfQISq.png

I went to an event last fall called cask days where they had basically all the microbreweries from Ontario and a bunch from other provinces and they cumulatively brought in something like 200 casks of beer. Basically we got tokens and a mason jar and there was water stations to rinse out the glass, traded a token for a half a glass of beer. Was a really cool event, got to try some neat beers, the most novelly named was "Snowman make like a tree and get out of here maple porter", though I think Snowman was the brewery.

Archived