DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will Rand be around to see his children grow up?

vegetattack15

Guest cwestervelt

I'm saying no. From the start Rand has been presented as the sacrificial hero. Failing to sacrifice him at the end would just be wrong.

cwestervelt Posted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:02 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm saying no. From the start Rand has been presented as the sacrificial hero. Failing to sacrifice him at the end would just be wrong.

Bingo!! Right on the mark.

I think he will. Nicola's foretelling uses the phrase "he who was dead yet lives". That lives is in the present tense, and the fellow who "was dead" has to be Rand, given the three who are on the boat with him.

Rand will die, physically, during the course of Tarmon Gai'don. What he accomplishes with his death will be the key to victory. Then he will be somehow physically resurrected. Thats my opinion.

Guest cwestervelt

I would have to agree that is more probable than him simply dying. I guess the simply dying part is more wishful thinking. After everything that's been done to him by now having an end to it would be very appealing.

Throughout the books there is mention of what "cannot" be healed. Every time there is an Aes Sedai that says something that can't be done, one of the "new channelers" proves them wrong eventually. I believe that Flinn and Nynaeve will find a way to heal death after Rand dies...So I think he will be alive after Tarmon Gaidon but I also think he will die.

The body swap thing is intriguing, but I don't think RJ would write something like that into the story...

Guest Wynne Jessal

I think yes, just because... RJ seems to have a hard time permanently killing people.

I think the series will have a happy ending, and that can't be with Rand dead (unless you really hate Rand).

OT: finding a way to Heal death would be stupid. Wow, that would totally screw up civilization.

OT: finding a way to Heal death would be stupid. Wow' date=' that would totally screw up civilization.[/color']

I totally agree. That would almost cheapen the idea of life... people would be wasteful. Not to mention, on a cruder note, it would just suck. I hope that isn't the case, but I don't think RJ would do that in his series. I do agree with the fact that Rand will live though.

• 1 month later...

hmm...i seem to remember posting a reply to this topic a week ago..or maybe my memory's playing tricks on me.

anyway i think rands gona live long enough to see his large

family grow. things wouldnt add up if he didnt and i trust

RJ in not messing up this great book.

im betting he'll die at the last battle only to be revived

afterwards (and get his ears boxed by his 3 wives for dying on them :) )

btw Bridgitte Silverbow was dead and waiting to be reborn

when that incident with elayne happened that gave her life right? maybe RJ'll use somewhat the same trick wd Rand

during/after he dies saving the world...i mean when Rand dies

he goes to the same place right cuz hes a hero of legend??

nyway dont know if this theory was ever discussed b4 nor do

i care if this's how it'll be..all i know is our champs gona

win and live to tell about it. :)

I agree that rand will live. And RAW's opinion is a good opinion, and adding the Nicola fortelling, and the Funeral Briar. But I don't agree that Rand will become a hero of legend. He already is reborn as LTT. So when he dies he goes back to TAR as Lews Therin

But I don't agree that Rand will become a hero of legend.

In overall terms, I think Rand al'Thor will be much more famous, for much longer, than Lews Therin Telamon. The Fisher icon (clearly a representation of this phase of the Dragon's rebirth cycle) survived a full turning of the Wheel, albeit in a limited way. It matches Rand's wounds and attributes, not Lews Therin. The only reason the Heroes of the Horn referred to him as "Lews Therin" is because that happened to be his last incarnation, not because "Lews Therin" was more important than any other aspect of the Dragon soul.

Lews Therin died a cursed madman and a failure. Rand al'Thor will win Tarmon Gaidon.

this brings me to remember that, is there any particular reason why Lews Therin is the only voice inside of Rand's head? if it is due to the fact that Lews Therin is the most recent incarnation before Rand himself, does this indicate some sort of time-based degradation of the souls of past incarnations of him? where only the most recent is still existing?

this brings me to remember that' date=' is there any particular reason why Lews Therin is the only voice inside of Rand's head? if it is due to the fact that Lews Therin is the most recent incarnation before Rand himself, does this indicate some sort of time-based degradation of the souls of past incarnations of him? where only the most recent is still existing?[/quote']

Birgitte exists in T'A'R as her most recent incarnation and her memories of other incarnations are less detailed the older they are. Presumably the same holds true for LTT.

Archived