DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Will Rand be around to see his children grow up?

vegetattack15

Of course not. Rand will die. Of all the characters RJ built up in the 1st 6 novels, who is the one character who becomes almost secondary in the latter 4? Rand. He is the DR. That is it. You aint sposed to like him so much anymore. He dies, leaves 3 weeping widows, 48 redheaded kids and a new country is born!!! He's either a Mormon or Irish.

Guest Barmacral

I don't believe Birgitte was her most recent incarnation, as she has made reference to many lives since the AoL, and I do believe (if I recall correctly) that Birgitte may very well have been an incarnation before the war of power, and that she was spun out as somebody else for that.

We don't know if Birgitte is the particular name of her last incarnation, her Age of Legends incarnation, or any of several others. She has apparently been reborn several times since the War of the Power, and at least one of those incarnations was named Maerion.

All the Heroes in Tel'aran'rhiod seem to be iconic amalgamations of their past lives, not any true reflection of any one incarnation. We know them by particular names in the stories because we have to have some way to identify them, but what rests in Tel'aran'rhiod is their soul, not the individual personality that developed during their lifetime. RJ has made it clear that a person, and a person's soul, are not the same thing in WOT.

We don't know if Birgitte is the particular name of her last incarnation' date=' her Age of Legends incarnation, or any of several others. She has apparently been reborn several times since the War of the Power, and at least one of those incarnations was named Maerion.

All the Heroes in Tel'aran'rhiod seem to be iconic amalgamations of their past lives, not any true reflection of any one incarnation. We know them by particular names in the stories because we have to have some way to identify them, but what rests in Tel'aran'rhiod is their soul, not the individual personality that developed during their lifetime. RJ has made it clear that a person, and a person's soul, are not the same thing in WOT.[/quote']

Hmm now that you mention it...when they call her Birgitte....doesn't she say something like "I was called that once"? I stand corrected.

I do think that Rand will live in some form, just because the whole thing feels like a bait and switch to me. Rand keeps saying he's going to die, he has to die to live yada yada yada...it's like we're being built up to assume he's gonna die so all our jaws will be on the floor when he doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I would hope that Rand will in the end be able to live some way or another. He has been through a lot and deserves some peace of mind--though how much peace of mind a man with 3 wives can have is another question.

It could be that he will become burned out, and I do not think being burned out can be healed like stilling and gentling, because those who are severed from the OP can still sense it but not touch it(that is why Nyneave was able to make a bridge, if you will, reconnecting ppl with the source) ppl who are burned out on the other hand can not sense the OP at all(I read this last night in the World of Wheel book) and I think what is needed in them to channel is totally FUBAR.

So maybe if he is burned out LTT will cease to exist as a disembodied voice in Rand's head. Hence LTT will indeed be dead.

I always kind of wondered that maybe the knarly old goat dude(Jain Farstrider?) with Matt could be the one who is dead yet lives. He's a good guy but there is some thing not quite right about him.

I have a vage memory of reading about somebody in Ebu Dar looking at the city flexing messed up hands and something about being dead, and then the old dude and Matt meet up. But then again I could be delusional.

Guest Barmacral

I don't think so, simply because I don't believe that Farstrider has ever died. He just dissappeared, and left the spotlight, and then got old so that when he reappeared nobody recognized him.

Guest Stefania Sedai

I say yes because in WH when Min and Aviendha leave the room to allow Rand and Elayne a little "alone time" Min says that Elayne will get with child, and Min observes to herself that Aviendha will bear Rand's children, too. (Forgive me, I don't have the book in front of me for a direct quote. I'm at the office pretending to work.) So, to me, unless Rand and Aviendha get very busy very quickly in MOL, I think he's got to stick around for a while. Just my two cents.

"he who was dead yet lives". Isn't LTT still alive in rands head? That is what the foretelling could mean.

Well, way to completely blow my theory of Rand dying and then coming back to life out of the water.

I think he might die now :cry:

Archived