DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Game of Thrones Season 4 [Spoilers]

Red2111

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say that this was my least favourite episode this season. Mostly that is because I don´t like big battle scenes. I thought it was kind of silly that the wildings stopped in front of the wall just to scream and show their weapons.

I was also disappointed that we didn´t get to see Stannis in this episode. They will have to wrap up a lot of things in the next episode. Stannis, Arya, Tyrion, Bran...

Ygrette dying in Jon´s arms saying "you know nothing, Jon Snow" was a bit cheesy. But okay. 

What I did like was the giants and the mammoth. It was a great scene when they defended the tunnel. I actually liked Alliser Thorne. (That´s the first time.) Sam was great and I liked his little talk with Maester Aemon. 

Since Stannis didn't actually show up until Jon was meeting with Mance, I didn't have an issue with him not showing up this episode.

Episode 10 does have a lot to cover, although it will be longer than average.

I was bummed at losing Grenn and Pyp though. :sad:

The season is over.  :sad:

I both liked and disliked a lot in this episode. 

The Hound/Brienne fight was great. The scene after with the Hound and Arya was excellent. Poor man. I so hope that he hasn´t died.  

The last scene with Arya was great too.

Bran´s scenes was worse. I really didn´t like the grenades or whatever it was. Bloodraven doesn´t look at all like he is described in the books. Here he looked clean and healthy and not growned into a tree. But I liked that they kept the "you will fly" comment. I was sad to see Jojen die but I figured he would die soon anyway. 

I liked the scene with Jon and Mance. I wish Stannis had come in the previous episode instead. It would have been more epic. 

I wished that they had made Tyrion´s scenes more close to the books. No hurting Jamie, no Tysha and it was actually Shae that attacked him first. Maybe it´s one of those scenes that is better if you hadn´t read the books. It was interesting to see Varys joining the ship. 

Why was Jamie and Cersei having sex?! They should be arguing more, not less.

I liked Cersei´s scene with Tywin. 

Hm... what did I forget. I´m mostly sad that it will take so long for the next season. 

• Community Administrator

The season is over.  :sad:

I both liked and disliked a lot in this episode. 

The Hound/Brienne fight was great. The scene after with the Hound and Arya was excellent. Poor man. I so hope that he hasn´t died.  

The last scene with Arya was great too.

Bran´s scenes was worse. I really didn´t like the grenades or whatever it was. Bloodraven doesn´t look at all like he is described in the books. Here he looked clean and healthy and not growned into a tree. But I liked that they kept the "you will fly" comment. I was sad to see Jojen die but I figured he would die soon anyway. 

I liked the scene with Jon and Mance. I wish Stannis had come in the previous episode instead. It would have been more epic. 

I wished that they had made Tyrion´s scenes more close to the books. No hurting Jamie, no Tysha and it was actually Shae that attacked him first. Maybe it´s one of those scenes that is better if you hadn´t read the books. It was interesting to see Varys joining the ship. 

Why was Jamie and Cersei having sex?! They should be arguing more, not less.

I liked Cersei´s scene with Tywin. 

Hm... what did I forget. I´m mostly sad that it will take so long for the next season. 

Yea... but we know that the next few season are going to get a little more interesting with Ayra, Jon, and Fatty (I can't remember his name)

Wondering if the next book is going to come out before than, so they don't spoil what happens to the off-scene characters that we won't see...

theres still a bit of decent content before they get into spoiling characters for us readers.

% wise to DwD completion, heres how it stands imo

Bran, Sansa & Little Finger - 100%

Jamie, Berny, Stannis, Mellisandre & Theon - 80%

Danny, Sam & Gilly - 70%

Cersie, Ayra, Jon, Tyrion, Jorah  - 60%

we've also got the introduction of other characters, like all of the happenings in Dorn and the Forgotten Prince as well.   they can get through half of Season 5 easy before running into spoiler zone imo.

that said, Martin needs to push that new book out before next season to avoid upsetting readers who watch the show imo.  so May 2015 at the latest *nods*  but imo if he's planning to release the new book it'll be closer to the season premiere.  so imo it makes sense to get the book out in stores in March.

but this is just me jabber jawing off the hip.  i have no clue where he's at in terms of book completion *nods*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

as for the episode.   anyone else have problems with their DVR on this episode?  i couldn't pause or rewind the HBO re-airing last night at 11pmCST.  and the original aired episode have a ?min for length and a "all the episode may nto have been recorded" tag to it  <_<

thoughts about the episode.

Jon - was good.  meh but good.  i liked the look between the Red Lady and Jon; you can see in her expression she knows Jon is the R'hollo dude

Ayra and the Hound - this scene was good, but i dont recall the battle between Berny & the Hound.  i was ubber glad and excited to see HBO sending her across the narrow sea ^_^

Jamie & Cersie - i thought these two were at eachothers throats by now.  Bubba says it happens later ....  but idk.  i liked the added scene with Cersie, though i think it is aimed to continuebuilding sympathy to her fromt eh audience.  somethign i've expressed an utter distatse for. 

Tyrion - i dont liek the change.  much better in the book.  i dislike greatly that they left the exchange between him and Jamie out, about Tyrions 1st wife not being a whore. its the reason why he decides to take his detour, so the show lacked to give him motive for this escapade and therefore ruined the sympathy you feel for him in the next scenes.   the change in the story line with Shae was alright, it made sense imo but the lacking of dialouge hurt tyrions character as it makes him more blood thirsty rather than appearing as hurt and decieved and stricken by her betrayal.   the exchange between Tywin and Tyrion was good, tho i was hoping that they'd address Tyrions first wife in this part since they left it out with Jamie as this and Shae were his main motivations for killign his father.

i was also hoping they'd have him say "well i'll be damnd, lord tywin doesn't shit gold after all"  just because that part is epic in the books.  including that bit woulda made up for leavign out the above; but i digress.

Varys - idk what to make in the change in his story ....  and idk how it will affect the subsequent story lines: Danny, Jorah, Ayra, Tyrion and the Prince.

Danny - i dislike them leaving out the pestering for re-opening the slavers pits.  other than that, pretty solid.  the change to how the dragons are imprisioned is irrelevant imo.

edit - one big ommision on HBO's part is leaving out the Captains Moot with Asha.  this is another thing i feel is important, to building Asha's character, that HBO has left out entirely.

• Community Administrator
Varys - idk what to make in the change in his story ....  and idk how it will affect the subsequent story lines: Danny, Jorah, Ayra, Tyrion and the Prince.

Didn't he end up fleeing anyways in the books?

tbh  i dont recall if he did or not.  i just know he didn't flee with Tyrion.  otherwise Tyrion may have never ended up enslaved imo  which alters a lot of story lines and could possibly alter Ayra's story arc as well.

tbh i dont recall if he did or not. i just know he didn't flee with Tyrion. otherwise Tyrion may have never ended up enslaved imo which alters a lot of story lines and could possibly alter Ayra's story arc as well.

Varys disappeared at the same time as Tyrion did and wasn't seen again until the epilogue of ADwD. Most likely they'll have him accompany Tyrion to Pentos (they could change it, but they already established the subplot of Varys working with Illyrio in season 1, and there's no good reason to change it now since this is the start of the payoff for that scene).

Once they hook Tyrion up with the Golden Company and Griff/Young Griff, Varys may go back to the shadows for a while, because unless they deviate from the book timeline Varys needs to be back in Kings Landing for his assassination bit before the Golden Company finishes their part in the south.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The big moments from the books were very well done for the most part. But I didn't like the way Shae's death was handled. Tyrion's conversation with her when he walks in and sees her got chopped out altogether. Instead he just walks in and flies into a blind rage, going straight to killing her. That talk with her shows there was some kind of connection till she accidentally set him off by saying the wrong thing. Tyrion in the books doesn't come across as that bad-tempered. (Cindy, who gave up on the books before finishing #1, didn't like the fact that he killed Shae at all.)

Archived