DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's hand.

FelixA9

mabe im confusing for when eragon broke his right hand hand? w/e if i had to guess id say it would be his right cuz if i saw a fireball comin at me id put up my right hand to try to block it. he was holding the dragon scpetre right? mabe his sword was in his right and the scpeptre was in his left.

Hello, I just signed up to add my thoughts to this thread.

I am really hoping the one of the academies build him a mechanical hand. There are clock makers and smiths that can do that kind of fine work, along with geniuses at the academies to design it. It still could be made of cuendillar parts, but not really needed and/or made into a ter'angreal.

I am a noob so treat me gently.

*as gently as possible*

There aren't many people around at the moment in Randland with the ability to make a ter'angreal that interacts with the human nervous system like that (or any ter'angreal at all, discounting a'dam-making damane), and the few that might be able to have better things to do. As for the clockwork hand, real world tech has only recently gotten to the point of hooking up machines to be responsive to neural signals, and Randland tech is only just developing steam power. If you put Osan'gar back together and hooked him up with Semirhage, between them you still wouldn't have yourself an Ashnod.

Nah' date=' I think Rand's hand is gone for good. Sucks when you think of his 3 wives, but hey, he'll make due.[/quote']

...what if all 3 get mad at him? i hope it wasnt his right hand :P

he needs that one to use his 'sword'

Perhaps Elayne will make a ter'angreal prosthetic hand for him. There was an early and unresolved prophecy about Elayne and a hand, she's the only non-forsaken, non-damane alive to have made one, and now she has the Ebou Dar stash to study. Since Aviendha has identified many among the stash she can draw conclusions from how they're made and what they do.

Or he could just go stumpy until he croaks in about 1200 more pages.

Okay seriously Semirhage is the most proficent healer from the age of legends even though her methods caused the person being healed pain they ALWAYS worked. Do you think she won't know how to regrow lost limbs? If he gets his hand back it will be because of something gained from her knowledge period. noone else will be able to do this. They may torture it out of her or some other method but the knowledge will come from her. Personal opinion of course. You can feel free to disagree with me but I think he will go to TG with both hands.

Semirhage might know a weave to grow out limbs. But breaking her through torture is supposed to be... difficult. And Rand is hardly going to want to press her about that. If they manage to get her to give the weave to them, he's fine with that. But he doesn't care if she doesn't give them/doesn't know it. If you look back at when the scene where he lost it, he sees that it's gone, think "too bad" and leave it at that.

Besides, there are more important things they can get out from her if they indeed break her.

The bracelets are for the girl side. The part that goes on Rand is a collar.

Semirhage is supposed to be a way better healer than anyone else, period. Think back to when Sammael was still alive... Didn't someone say/think that once Sammael kills Rand he can finally let Semirhage heal his face scar? No Aes Sedai in modern times can heal an injury so old (that scar is thousands of years old, come on). None of the Aes Sedai now can even heal Thom's limp. But somehow Semirhage could have healed Sammael's scar. So if anyone in the entire world is likely to heal Rand's hand, it will have to be Semirhage. We'll have to RAFO if she can or will. Maybe RJ will never write about it again. Rand had already left his hand behind. Maybe neither Rand nor RJ care about the hand.

We'll have to RAFO if she can or will. Maybe RJ will never write about it again. Rand had already left his hand behind. Maybe neither Rand nor RJ care about the hand.

Exactly what my thought is. Rand will have 1 hand and that's that. He's reconciled to it already, even if nobody else (both in Randland and readers) is.

We can hope for something, and debate it, but I really don't think it will happen. The only outside chance I can see is Cadsuane breaking Semirhage. If anybody is willing/able to, it's her.

Well Min has a viewing in EotW Egwene with a severed hand (Rand's?). Also when Egwene has a dream vision she sees Login stepping over Rand, but it says nothing about Rand missing a hand. So I think Rand will get his hand back and it is tied to Egwene.

I think Rand's hand is gone forever, or at least through TG.

I don't see how regrowing a hand makes the story better. when Rand draws back a stump I was shocked, as I imagine many other readers were. hell, I was pissed. Rand's gone through enough already, and I took this as more foreshadowing that Rand won't live through TG. I keep hoping he'll survive, but yeah, I'm not entirely optimistic.

giving Rand his left hand back (and it's the left - he was holding the dragon scepter with it) would certainly be a nod to the fans, but it would also kill the permanence of the loss which = merely a temporary inconvenience. sure, the initial shock value is still there if you don't know Rand's hand comes back later, but at its core it's flat writing.

plus there's the whole Tyr symbolism. Tyr's hand is never replaced - he just deals with it through his death at Ragnarok.

maybe RJ can make a regrowth interesting and entertaining and plausible in the context of the book, but I'm not holding my breath.

Archived