DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's hand.

FelixA9

Sorry if this has already been discussed but I'd picked up the series again (read most of the books numerous times as I usually start from the beginning when a new book comes out)and noticed one comment when Siuane and Leanne get stilled that said something to the effect of "stilling could no more be healed than a person's hand could be put back if it were cut off". I'm of the opinion that RJ doesn't just toss something like that out there for nothing and since we all know that stilling/gentling can be healed I wonder if that means at some point Rand's hand will be restored. As we recall, it was stated Semi could heal just about anything short of death and at one point she was faced with the choice of being bound or stilled so she went over to the dark side. I wonder if now with her in captivity and her knowing that dark friends have a tendancy for bad things to happen to them when they've been captured (the two Black Ajah, Asmo, Moggy, Lanfear, Leandrin)that she accepts being bound and working for the good guys so to speak? I know it's a stretch given her personality but when I read the stilling/hand comment it kind of stood out.

Rand will have 1 hand up until Lord Voldemort comes and gives him a new silver one. Oops, wrong story.

Nah, I think Rand's hand is gone for good. Sucks when you think of his 3 wives, but hey, he'll make due.

Guest cwestervelt

While there is a time honored tradition of doing so (often with one of silver) I don't anticipate it happenning here.

Addition:

And I was not referring to Wormtail in Harry Potter.

I don't think it's possible to grow a hand with the power. Theoretically, I wonder if it were possible for him to take someone else's hand, and have it Healed on his stump if it were cut open before the hand dies, but this would have ethical problems.

Maybe Rand will get a hook, though I suppose that might be inconvenient with the ladies.

Guest cwestervelt

It isn't dedication. It is an unhealthy level of emotional detachment. The same detachment that made Sorilea and Cadsuane agree to teach him laughter and tears.

Unhealth definatly, but I can't blame him. If not for that same detachment the strain of his destiny would have broken him in the middle of the series!

It's the only thing that prevented him from falling apart entirely, we can just thank the Light he still opens up a little to Min, Aviedha and Elayne.

Hah, now that would be something to see... ;) I'm one of those people who believes that Rand and Moridin might switch bodies, but who knows? If that's the case, Rand will get a new hand anyway (unless Moridin loses his at some point...). On the other hand, if the first is not the case, I think I agree with Felix. Jordan doesn't just stick random bits of information into the books. He incorporates everything into the main plot, which is probably why I like his writing so much. I doubt he would just put that in there for the fun of it.

And as for Rand's feelings, he has become completely hardened because he can't take the pain of everything he has to do and doesn't want to feel any of it anymore. Myyrth is right. This is what allows him to do what he has to without cracking (which I think he somewhat has anyway). I don't know about him opening up to Min, Avienda, and Elayne though. He doesn't let Min know the greater part of what he is feeling because he wants her to feel safe around him. Elayne I don't think he completely trusts like Min, and Avienda isn't around much anymore. The only signs of him really letting loose is when he completely trashes his room (like in CoS i think is was...).

He'll get a cuendillar hand.

Not sure that's possible. How would he move it? How would it be connected to living tissue?

What I'd really like to hear is details on this body-switching theory. Is there a thread somebody can point me to on this? It sounds like somebody came up with this from left field, but I'd like to hear more.

Actually, I think Aginor / Osan'gar would be the most likely Forsaken to know how to reconstruct a body part, if you consider he would probably be able to figure out how to rebuild or clone it from a person's genetic code. Having Semirhage do it makes sense, though. As long as he doesn't pull an Aquaman and get a hook or a harpoon or something.

But what about this: we've seen Rand go into TAR in the flesh, and we've seen Carlinya (?) come out from a non-flesh jaunt minus most of her hair. And we've seen some crazy things done by those who can manipulate TAR, such as Amys turning into a dragon. Could he could go bodily into TAR, have someone proficient there (like Egwene, maybe) think him a new hand, and come out good as new? You know, wish him into the cornfield and all.

What I'd really like to hear is details on this body-switching theory. Is there a thread somebody can point me to on this? It sounds like somebody came up with this from left field, but I'd like to hear more.

You can go to http://wotmania.com and go under theories. Go to the Rand category and and look through them. There are a couple with the switching bodies theory in there I think... check it out! I found them very helpful. :)

that she accepts being bound and working for the good guys so to speak?

semi was a the best ever even better than nynaeve but she was and is a sadist (she likes to mess people up and make them suffer incredible pain while she heals them) The reason she turned to the dark one was not because she was captured but because her secret became known and she had to choose either to be bound against violencce on an oath rod or to be severed from the true source, so she jined the dark one . being a forsaken just emphisized her evil as during the war of shadow she was a cruel general and governer. she forces townspeople to torture eachother to death. she was the one whome prisoners were sent to turn them to "the dark side" and she discovered how to make a channeler become evil using a circle of 13 and 13 mydraal. She wont heal rand unless they get an adam on that chick.

that she accepts being bound and working for the good guys so to speak?

semi was a the best ever even better than nynaeve but she was and is a sadist (she likes to mess people up and make them suffer incredible pain while she heals them) The reason she turned to the dark one was not because she was captured but because her secret became known and she had to choose either to be bound against violencce on an oath rod or to be severed from the true source

You mean "and at one point she was faced with the choice of being bound or stilled so she went over to the dark side"?

ya sorry bad grammer and typos wen im typing but ya its true if wheel of time can be called true hehehe it was in a info book published with jordans name as an author so im asuming its acurate. no the book doesnt say who killed asmo.

Could he could go bodily into TAR, have someone proficient there (like Egwene, maybe) think him a new hand, and come out good as new?

The new hand would only last in TAR and only while Egwene (or whoever else) maintained it there. Like the Bela she created when she traveled there in the body, the hand would have to be left behind.

probably ur right. But i think if he goes in the flesh it could work. 1 more thing semi cant heal him unless he has the severed hand to put back on, it one thing to heal but another thing to toatly grow one. aginor would be better in that field being a biological scientist in the age of legends. nope rand is gonna have to learn to be a southpaw.

The new hand would only last in TAR and only while Egwene (or whoever else) maintained it there. Like the Bela she created when she traveled there in the body' date=' the hand would have to be left behind.[/quote']

After re-reading the passage in question and being convinced not by Bela, but by Egwene's spanking pains returning, I withdraw the suggestion. It was a nice idea while it lasted, though.

Rand's becoming sort of the WoT equivalent of the Black Knight. The Dark One needs some kneecaps so Rand can bite them off.

Archived