DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Doctor Who

SinisterDeath

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Community Administrator

Nah. I felt it fit with what they were trying to do. (specifically with his aging)

A little to much? Maybe. If anything I'd say the narration was fine.. The visual component was just lacking to match the narration.

That could be it, I guess.  It just felt like the christmas special talked AT us a lot of the time rather than playing out the events naturally.  It probably would have worked better with more appropriate visuals like you suggested, but I'm not entirely sure that's it.

While I really liked Whitehouse's eps and Gatiss' are usually pretty good, I'm just a sucker for Moffat's bit pieces. Throwaway dialog, those sound authoritative and wise bits that are total nonsense he throws in the Doctor's mouth and the humor--I'd really miss those. Tough to weigh that vs Clara remaining a lego-brick and quite a few tone or plot problems.

I think Moffat is at his best when he's limited in what he can do, especially severely limited. Like the four Season 6 dvd extras I love to death:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=373ZzKAH1ag

(2nd is my favorite, 3:18)

Anyway, getting back on track, was anyone else disappointed by how much narration there was as opposed to simply showing it happen?

Yes.

While I really liked Whitehouse's eps and Gatiss' are usually pretty good, I'm just a sucker for Moffat's bit pieces. Throwaway dialog, those sound authoritative and wise bits that are total nonsense he throws in the Doctor's mouth and the humor--I'd really miss those. Tough to weigh that vs Clara remaining a lego-brick and quite a few tone or plot problems.

His flaws would be a lot less grating if he were only writing one episode a season, or had someone else to patch up his scripts, an editor or co-writer. I agree that he tends to work better with limits, and working under RTD put limits on him that he doesn't have now he's in charge. I think the important thing to remember is that the good things and bad things he brings to the table are not reliant on one another. Why can't we have good characterisation, plots that make sense and humorous dialogue in the same episode? We don't need to accept the dross. We don't have to accept the trade off. We can demand more, we can demand that they do it right.

I'm not even British, I don't think they'll listen to me or how'd getting WoT to turn out well go? :)

Granted Smith and Gillan/Kingston/Carvill have a lot to do with making those scenes work too (Coleman's eps have been too busy on other things. There's some shorts online that aren't bad, but not up to the ice cream one by far--and since Clara tends to be more inquisitive and smarter than Pond, not getting something like that hurts.) In RTD's day there was a lot of bit inserts that worked well too, I just think Moffat does a really good job on them to my tastes...is there a way to get him script doctoring but not have as much plot and canon control? That'd rock.

I think Moffat is at his best when he's limited in what he can do, especially severely limited. Like the four Season 6 dvd extras I love to death:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=373ZzKAH1ag

(2nd is my favorite, 3:18)

RORY!...You've got the serious face on. I always shout for Rory when you have the serious face on. Rory, she's having an emotion!

Love it! Are these the Pond "Webisodes"?

Think you mean this series:

They have a few minisodes for every season and lately intros for every ep, and lots of them are really, really good. The one for the season 6 christmas special was probably better than most of the ep :) If you're in Murica as far as youtube is concerned, lots of them are in high-def on the bbcamerica channel, Doctor Who section (lots of them are region locked on BBC).

I'm not even British, I don't think they'll listen to me or how'd getting WoT to turn out well go? :)

It's not about being listened to, it's about complaining anyway. Democracy in action. You won't make a difference, but you might feel a bit better.

is there a way to get him script doctoring but not have as much plot and canon control? That'd rock.

Yes, the BBC could demand someone work with him, and fire him if he doesn't comply. Whether they think it's worth the extra hassle and expense is another matter, but it can happen in theory.

Looking forward to Capaldi's Doctor. Sooooo grateful that he has begun a new cycle with all the mystery I love so much!!!

What will happen from here..........no bloody clue!!!! But sure will enjoy it!!

I even get the regeneration count and where the End of Time fits in since I read the solution in a novel ( cannot remember what it was called) and it has a pretty good reason in my opinion

• 2 weeks later...

So the Twelfth Doctor has a costume now!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Peter-Capaldi-Doctor-Who-Costume-Revealed-

I'm reminded of Tennant with the Doc Marten boots... A nice suit combined with footwear inappropiate to a suit. I'm betting sales of Doc Martens go through the roof. And the Doctor is wearing Docs! :biggrin:

Tennant isn't the only previous Doctor this look echoes. The darkness in the look, combined with Capaldi's comments in the text make me think of someone else.

He's woven the future from the cloth of the past. Simple, stark, and back to basics. No frills, no scarf, no messing, just 100 per cent Rebel Time Lord.

The bit I highlighted makes me think ECCLESTON! Since Eccleston is my favorite, this gives me a big happy. (Reading the Wikipedia article about the Ninth Doctor shows how the costume then was meant to be a stripped down version, and Eccleston wanted to avoid having the costume overshadow his acting.) So will Capaladi's performance be similar to Nine or Ten? We need to wait and see.

A couple of other thoughts... The red lining in the jacket is cool. I'm not as impressed with leaving a single button fastened in the coat like that. Either button the whole thing or leave it fully open.

that may be to show off the red lining, but I do like the middle button done up.

I love this outfit, wouldn't have pegged it for blue from the pic.

and the doc martens are awesome arse kickers, nicely juxtaposed with the three piece blue suit.

and I am soooo excited to see this doctor!

• Community Administrator

No Bow Tie? No Fez? Where's the sex appeal? :tongue:

You don't need sex appeal, you just need to bring back the badass that led the Dalek homeworld to call him "the oncoming storm". And I think they've accomplished some of that quality here.

There is nothing more 'badass' than the guy who vanquished his enemies, while wearing a bowtie and fez.

No Bow Tie? No Fez? Where's the sex appeal? :tongue:

You don't need sex appeal, you just need to bring back the badass that led the Dalek homeworld to call him "the oncoming storm". And I think they've accomplished some of that quality here.

There is nothing more 'badass' than the guy who vanquished his enemies, while wearing a bowtie and fez.

Except for the one who vanquished them wearing a leather jacket.

Archived