DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Doctor Who

SinisterDeath

No Bow Tie? No Fez? Where's the sex appeal? :tongue:

You don't need sex appeal, you just need to bring back the badass that led the Dalek homeworld to call him "the oncoming storm". And I think they've accomplished some of that quality here.

There is nothing more 'badass' than the guy who vanquished his enemies, while wearing a bowtie and fez.

Except for the one who vanquished them wearing a leather jacket.

Except for the one who talked down an entire planet of invisible flesh eaters who attack from the shadows.

Except for the one who let his own hand get cut off.

Except for the one who looked his own people's most powerful leader in the eye, a ruler who could kill him just by clenching a fist, and said "Go away."

Who needs bow ties and leather jackets when a simple trench coat will work perfectly?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.... um.... these are all the same character.

That's the point.  He's so awesome he can't be described with just one moment of awesome.

As to the new costume, I'm liking it a lot too.

EDIT:  Something that's bothered me for a while.  Early in the 11th Doctor's episodes there was one where a new set of Dalek Masters was fabricated, each one specializing in a different aspect - logistics, research, weaponry, etc. - but they haven't been seen from since, only the white dalek who was named as leader.  Anyone know why they never showed up again?

EDIT:  Something that's bothered me for a while.  Early in the 11th Doctor's episodes there was one where a new set of Dalek Masters was fabricated, each one specializing in a different aspect - logistics, research, weaponry, etc. - but they haven't been seen from since, only the white dalek who was named as leader.  Anyone know why they never showed up again?

I heard the 16th Doctor will see them again, but that's not for another 12-15 years

The negative reaction to the "New Paradigm" Daleks probably had something to do with it.

.... um.... these are all the same character.

That's the point.  He's so awesome he can't be described with just one moment of awesome.

As to the new costume, I'm liking it a lot too.

I really wanted to collect them all.

I have spied some different color ones thought the dalek population since then but not all.

I never knew they had different specialties. I thought they were just more... kid friendly.

I really wanted to collect them all.

I have spied some different color ones thought the dalek population since then but not all.

I never knew they had different specialties. I thought they were just more... kid friendly.

Nope.  When they were first created, the "inferior" daleks announced their positions: Supreme, Eternal, Scientist, Strategist, Drone.

And just by looking up their titles I found the reason they're not used.  Apparently most people REALLY hate these new daleks, either because of the the "Power Ranger color coding", "project runway -style reveal", the idea of daleks being led by anything but Davross, or their sudden revival using a Progenitor which hasn't ever been mentioned before in modern Who (was it ever mentioned in classic?).

From what I read the initial backlash was big enough that Moffat has kept their use to a minimum since, with only brief uses or sightings instead of making them central to a story.  Supreme has been the most commonly sighted, but the others have been spotted in the background here and there.

The progenitor is mentioned in classic DW. Davros gene Daleks were not compatible. If no true Daleks exist, progenitor reacts only to the Doctor, since he is their On coming Storm. The progenitor devices is how they got their numbers soooo high in the classic series. They only went to Davros to get help with their plans, like the Time War.

As for the colour coding..... my guess is they are new Cult of Skaro types, going by job title rather than by name.

End Of Time fits in, due to Daleks wiping out High Council and President in opening conflict after Nightmare Child in timeline. Rassilon ordered all High Council sessions be time locked to prevent more attacks. The session in End of Time was because the war Doctor took the Moment. They are separately time locked, but Rassilon even in this new reversal can still pull Gallifrey in from their new universe, instead of the time war itself, were the story replayed. It does not change, since Gallifrey came from somewhere.

And just by looking up their titles I found the reason they're not used.  Apparently most people REALLY hate these new daleks, either because of the the "Power Ranger color coding", "project runway -style reveal", the idea of daleks being led by anything but Davross, or their sudden revival using a Progenitor which hasn't ever been mentioned before in modern Who (was it ever mentioned in classic?).

It's all down to the design, basically. They're bigger, and they've changed the outline (making them look "fatter") - combine that with the bright colours, and you see why people call them Tellytubbies. The Progenitor never being mentioned before, in new or classic, is rather trivial considering that this is Doctor Who and inventing new stuff that has never been mentioned before is quite common for the show (and there are several examples for the Daleks themselves, such as the Special Weapons Dalek, Davros himself, the Genesis Ark and Void Ship, and the Cult of Skaro, and all of them were more accepted by fans than the New Paradigm), and the Daleks being led by someone other than Davros is true of every post-revival Dalek serial, and most of the classic stories as well.

Why is it that when RTD messed with the shows mythology people said hes RTD he can do what he wants, and if anyone complained everyone said "shut up looser" But now all those same people who said that are moaning about Moffatt messing with RTD's mythology?

Costume: good clothing design, don't like that nearly everything is dark blue offhand.

Daleks: I think I'd have preferred the new paradigm Daleks to the parliament of the Daleks :) Too bulky and too plastic-y, think they should have been able to make a more comfortable to operate Dalek without them being that huge (though I really like the shorter, cute, steam-punkish copper design).

Why is it that when RTD messed with the shows mythology people said hes RTD he can do what he wants, and if anyone complained everyone said "shut up looser" But now all those same people who said that are moaning about Moffatt messing with RTD's mythology?

It's not as simple as that. Plenty of people were annoyed with RTD, and plenty of people like Moffatt. RTD's biggest addition/change to the mythology was the Time War, which provided backstory and motivation for the Doctor and served as a good source of drama. Personally, I didn't see a need to write the Time Lords out, but it was done well. On the other hand, while I would prefer a universe with Time Lords, Moffatt's way of bringing them back was badly handled, as was so much of his other plotting. People are critical not because of the guy behind the scenes, so much as due to the execution.

Archived