DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Awesome Aussie Bands/Musicians

Cass

Do you know any?

Obviously, fellow Aussies, I reckon you should know a few ;) but I'm curious to know how/if Australian talent is recognised overseas..

Which Aussie bands/musicians have you heard of/do you like/are popular out there in the big wide world??

*takes deep breath*

MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY

MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY

MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY MISSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem. Higgins. That is all :D

Nyanna, BFG, ... and Aida - omg Yes!! (<3 Missy, John Butler .... and Thor er, Chris Hemsworth   :wink: )

Lazy, I hadn't even heard of The Cat Empire until your post but I'm now in love - added to my playlists - thanks!!

Dice, I wasn't sure that I'd heard of Baby Animals until I got to 'One Word' and then I was like ooooooooooooh, Them! That song is still played frequently at pubs etc and on rock radio stations :) , can't believe I'd never heard the others.

I've come up with a list of favs/others that are/have been popular over here. I'm thinking I might post a few and see how many you've heard of/like? There's too many to do all at once, so I'll start with my favourite (alternative rock) band, Powderfinger. Formed in my hometown, Brisbane, in 1989 they were together and produced 7 main albums until 2010 (when they disbanded *sniff*) .

(ETA vids once I figured out how to do it!) Let me know what you think! Have you heard them before?

Waiting for the Sun (Odyssey Number 5, 2000)

Passenger (Internationalist, 1998)

My Happiness (Odyssey Number 5, 2000)

These Days (Odyssey Number 5, 2000)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjvNu8WeuIc

Sail the Widest Stretch (Golden Rule, 2009)

Burn Your Name (Golden Rule, 2009)

All of the Dreamers (Golden Rule, 2009)

Sunsets (Vulture Street, 2003)

Misc Youtube Collection from 'Footprints - Best of Powderfinger'

EB. You should keep an eye out for when the Cat Empire do another tour of Aussie. They just finished a tour of aus and are in Europe at the moment I think.

Also if you like them, listen to an Artist called Manu Chao. Not an australian. But some awesome music nevertheless. (Working on a review of him and a couple of other bands at the moment)

lmao  I Hate powderfinger simply cause my friend played the 3 main songs over and over and over so much i now know all the words!!

EB  youtube Painless and you aint gonna get by baby animals as well

Haha - knowing the words isn't a bad thing!! - Enjoyed 'Painless' and the guitar solo in 'You ain't gonna get' - Interesting since I was only 6 when they came out! lol

EB. You should keep an eye out for when the Cat Empire do another tour of Aussie. They just finished a tour of aus and are in Europe at the moment I think.

Also if you like them, listen to an Artist called Manu Chao. Not an australian. But some awesome music nevertheless. (Working on a review of him and a couple of other bands at the moment)

Yes! (Dang that I didn't know they existed before they toured here though!)

and YESS!!!!!! Got into Manu Chao when I was on (french) exchange in Switzerland in 2001 - especially awesome for me cos he sings 'franglais' (mix of french/english) for several songs - le rendez-vous and (to a lesser extent) Me gustas tu from memory... they were big over there back then, has he got anything newish I should check out in particular? And, out of curiousity, how did you come across him in NZ?

Not sure about newish stuff of Manu chao. I only came across him a few months back. One of my good friends put it on when a group of us were away for a weekend in a rental house. I liked the song he played so I looked him up. I then bought an album or 2 and listen now and then.

As to cat empire tour. I was sad I missed it but hope that they do it again next year cause I hope to be in aus by then

• 2 weeks later...

Nyanna, BFG, ... and Aida - omg Yes!! (<3 Missy, John Butler .... and Thor er, Chris Hemsworth   :wink: )

Lazy, I hadn't even heard of The Cat Empire until your post but I'm now in love - added to my playlists - thanks!!

Dice, I wasn't sure that I'd heard of Baby Animals until I got to 'One Word' and then I was like ooooooooooooh, Them! That song is still played frequently at pubs etc and on rock radio stations :) , can't believe I'd never heard the others.

I've come up with a list of favs/others that are/have been popular over here. I'm thinking I might post a few and see how many you've heard of/like? There's too many to do all at once, so I'll start with my favourite (alternative rock) band, Powderfinger. Formed in my hometown, Brisbane, in 1989 they were together and produced 7 main albums until 2010 (when they disbanded *sniff*) .

(ETA vids once I figured out how to do it!) Let me know what you think! Have you heard them before?

I seriously feel like a bad cavvy-sis... I really didn't realize Powderfinger, or John Butler (who I love) is Aussie!!!! 

BACK! I'm back!

Ok, Aussie, so I don't count, but hey XD

Aaaaaaaaaaaand here we go:

Lazy, I like your taste! Cat Empire are bloody fantastic! I've seen them live...thrrrrrrrrree? times I think. They are the best group to see live, the best to chillax to and the best to party to. Love 'em.

And Tim Minchin? He is amaaaaaaaaazing!  I can't get over how clever he is! And he wrote the music for the Matilda Musical! And it's creepy clever! Aaaaaaaand I've missed him every time he's toured. Every time he's here, I have a gig which clashes. Give it time, he likes playing with orchestras, I'll play in a show with him one day.

Powderfinger:

^^ film clip at my primary school. Also, did a quartet gig while they were soundchecking at the stage next door... that was interesting XD

Aahhhhhh, MISSY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YESH!

Ok, here we go:

The Whitlams!

I loooooove the Whitlams, they're amazing. If Starry was around he'd tell you that I converted him into a massive Whitlams fan. Seen these guys once and the lead singer (which is basically the whole band; the other band members change periodically) do a show at a festival. Amazing both times. I suggest listening toooooo their best of album, 'Truth, Beauty and a Picture of You' because it actually is pretty much their best stuff.

Crowded House? They're awesome, you probably know Better Be Home Soon?

Ah, Midnight Oil? XD

I feel like I'm missing someone...Dan Sultan, Paul Kelly...both awesome...

Ooh hang on! Shameless plug for my brother!  I give you The Kite String Tangle!

:)

• 5 months later...

Ok so bringing this thread back as I have heard a couple of amazing street artists in melbourne recently (from Aussie and from abroad).

Aussie band is La Rumba. Gypsy Flamenco music. They are awesome and I love the music. I will do a review of the new album when it comes out and maybe one of the old albums if I get around to it. They have a few youtube vids available and I love them. Normally stop and listen to them whenever I come across them when wandering the city.

From overseas (UK and Austria) is Our Symphonic Life. These guys are seriously cool. I have listened to them for hours in the street and chatted to them after they finish playing. The music instruments they play are varied (multiple each). Check out the youtube vids for more and I will link some of my favs a bit later. Some amazing violin playing by the one guy.

If you get a chance to see either of these (either in Melbourne or when they move around) definitely do it. Well worth the time.

Archived