DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

World Psoriasis Day

michellem

Yeah I gotta go back on the mtx; just isnce my post on sunday my skin has flared up BADLY, I've got small pustules all along the sides of my fingers, and under my feet again... I've been pustule/blister-free for a few months, so I'm very depressed by that.

Have you tried any other type of meds, Kvom? Sterioid creams, biological meds?

Aye, I've been on so many creams in the past.  Triemcynelone, fluocininide, tazorac, clobetasol, and perhaps a few others...  Right now I'm just using over-the-counter stuff, though it hasn't been working as well.

I've also learned that psoriasis can be connected to certain foods.  Have you been eating anything lately that you don't normally?

I was dead drunk on friday, lol. Its a big chance thats why!

Im using Dermovat, a really strong steroid cream, it eases the itching a bit. I also get meds that lessens the itching, and I need those and painkillers to have the slightest hope of sleeping!

Man, DM keeps forcing me to break my silence.

Thank you for this thread Mish. The missus has been fightin this for years now. It's a constant battle for her to not throttle people on a regular basis because of the looks she gets. The Summers are the worst. She is incredibly heat sensitive so trying to dress in long sleeves and pants all the time to cover her patches is pretty difficult for her. She has massive patches on her thighs, elbows, knees, ankles, fore arms, calves, toes, her finger and toe nails are affected.........tender area around the chest. Her dermatologist told her that direct sun is NOT good for her. A vitamin D supplement would help but direct exposure to sun is drying and damaging.  The only thing that has helped in the past for her is the drug Humira. The only downside for her is that they have changed the delivery method. It's an actual needle she has to stick herself with. She is terrified of needles and I have to administer it for her.

The lack of compassion from people is appalling though. Regardless of the general knowledge people have of the illness, or if when they see it and are unsure of what it is or if it's contagious, to react with revulsion is unconscionable. I try very hard to offer the same compassion that i would want to receive should the roles be reversed. Until you know what it is, be cautious, yes, but don't act like an ignorant fool about it.

I feel so much for your wife Mills, give her a hug from me will you? For the covering up in summer though, see if you can find clothes made of (very thing merino)wool or silk, or a combination. Both wool and silk are heat-regulating, so it's warmer when it's cold outside, and cooler when it's warm. I'm still waiting to get Humira or similar... It's good that you're there and can do the needles for her! I'm gonna need my husband to do mine if I ever get it.

Also, for everyone that is in desperate need of something to releive itching and pains! I've found a miracle, a bloody miracle I tell you. I was in the big city two days this week, and I was completly out of moistuerizer. So I stopped by Lush, and asked them for recommendations. They recommended a cream called Dream Cream, and holy cow! I have never, never, ever in my life had a cream work that well, and that fast! Remember the flare-up I mentioned a few days ago on my hands? 80% gone! Later today, I'll try and take a photo of my feet, I took one earlier in the week you see when it was really bad, to show you the difference. Wow, just wow, I'm completly and utterly blown away. Lush is a brand I've always had the utmost respect for, they are very enviroment-aware (all packaged is recycled, and you can give them back your empty packaging and they'll recycle it again, for example), they are 100% against animal testing, they use as much natural ingredients as possible, everything is hand-made and it'll say on the product the name of the employee who made it... They're awesome. Anyhow, I would recommend everyone with psoriasis or eczema to try Dream Cream. I have tried basically everything I can find when it comes to moisturirers. I have never found a product like this before! It's made with oat milk, cocoa butter, tea tree oil and lavendel oil, amonst other things. All very good things for moisture and soothing. And the texture is lovely, so soft and it smells really nice, slightly spicey and earthy.

Now that was a brilliant stroke of luck, Mish! Tigara worked at a Lush store at one stage - I remember him telling me what wonderful products they have. Maybe you could try their shampoo and conditioner too? And body wash/soap, and such?

I know several people who suffer from Psoriasis (and eczema) - it's one of those conditions where not only do you suffer physically, but mentally and emotionally too due to people's reactions. So sad that in today's world people can still be so ignorant.

I got a test for a hand soap that I'm loving, it's kind of a powder that when mixed with water turns into a soft clay-like texture that really softens the hand and still cleans it, so gonna buy more of that, and I also bought a bath bomb (because our hotel room had a bath tub) and oooh it was ever so lovely! I bought one more to bring home to use for foot baths. I'm gonna try their shampoo and conditioner next time I'm in the city (mid december). I'm in love! ;D

Jimmy used to use a tea tree oil shampoo that was very helpful, but it's hard to find. 

But one of my sisters works at Lush, so I'll ask her about the Dream Cream. 

... You know, for some reason I never thought of you having family. I thought Jason created you. Or something.

Aaaanyhooo ... Mish, I keep meaning to tell you that because of something you posted a while back, I'm now using olive oil to clean make up off my face. It works a charm, and doesn't dry my skin like other make up removal wipes do.

I had to try a less expensive shampoo/conditioner this month. Big mistake. My head is a wreck. Luckily the only spot you can see is where it is showing on my hairline. 

For my face, I have recently found that I have great results with Eminence Organics. The blisters I get can get so sore on my face, and they have a probiotic mask that just feels so cooling and fresh. It really has changed my complexion. 

Aida, how you looked at Aubrey Organics? I think they are pretty cheap (well I don't know what kind of prices you are used to though). You can buy them at iherb.com or amazon, and probably a lot of other places too :)

Poor thing, blisters on your face! I'm eternally scared my pso will show up on my face. I had a tiny spot for about a week this spring and I freaked OUT. I can cover up the rest of my body to hide it, but not my face! *Shivers* What kind of make-up do you use? I'd recommend pure mineral make-up if you're having pso in your face.

My skin is flaring up again, blisters coming back on my feet, making them itch. The Dream Cream is still helping on not letting huge amounts of dead skin build up, and keep my skin more moist and supple than it has been in ages. And my hands are alot better. But my pso flares up in periods, and especially during wintertime, it's just how it is. Exactly a month until I have my appointment at the hospital, and I'm NOT walking out of there unless I get a prescription for biological meds. Because even though my skin is better, I still live every day on at the very least a 3 on a pain scale from 1(normal) to 10(horrible). And a 3 are my very rare extremely good days. Mostly I'm a 5-6 in pain, discomfort and general bother. I shouldn't have to live my life like that.

I will definitely check out Aubrey Organics Mish. Currently I haven't been wearing any makeup, because it just aggravates everything. I only really wear it for special occasions, like my brother's wedding and holidays. I really like mineral makeup, but finding stuff that covers spots when they show up is nearly impossible. Luckily, I only get them the worst on my jawline and hairline. But it is so embarrassing to go out in public and get weird looks from people - they think I don't take care of my skin, or I use weird drugs and just don't care about the affect it has on my skin. I wish I could wear a paper bag on my head some days. Hopefully once I get a better shampoo and stuff it will calm down. I know the winter is worse for me too, and I also get worse during stress - and I have been stressed lots lately. 

Try everyday minerals, they have various coverage, and you can layer it on spots for more coverage in problem areas :) and go find a Lush near you and get some skin care!

Also, you should try the oil-cleanse that Mama LG mentioned here. It's soothing, and GREAT for the skin!

What you need:

A soft cloth

Olive oil

And, with your dry skin, you should mix some other things into the olive oil: Tea tree is soothing for irritated skin, and also cleansing, and almond oil is very moisturizing and nourishing for damaged skin. If you have a cup of olive oil, drip in half a dozen drops of each. Bonus, it smells delicious :biggrin:

Take some oil on your fingers, and massage into your face, al the way except very close to your eyes. Then, take the cloth and soak it in as warm water as you can deal with. Press out most of the water, and put the cloth on your face. Leave it until it starts getting cool, then softly drag it down your face to take of the oil. Rinse the cloth, and repeat until there is no oil left. Then, soak the cloth in cold water and put on your face one final time, this is to close the pores.

The massage will remove any dirt and particles on your face, the heat will open up the pores to let the skin really soak in the good oil. The heat will also dissolve the oil so when you softly press the cloth down into the skin and pull it down, the oil comes off easy without being harsh on the skin.

You don't have to do it every day, but if you use make-up, you can use this to remove make-up, and you should do it at least once a week.

It's a soothing, lovely treat for your skin! And it's really, really good for messed up skin.

Jimmy used to use a tea tree oil shampoo that was very helpful, but it's hard to find. 

But one of my sisters works at Lush, so I'll ask her about the Dream Cream. 

... You know, for some reason I never thought of you having family. I thought Jason created you. Or something.

Aaaanyhooo ... Mish, I keep meaning to tell you that because of something you posted a while back, I'm now using olive oil to clean make up off my face. It works a charm, and doesn't dry my skin like other make up removal wipes do.

I'm the oldest of four children. Actually, the sister who works at Lush was a novice here for a few months, but it didn't stick. 

Anyways, I'm looking at the Aubrey Organics site. My husband's face is starting it's annual "The weather is cold and dry" freak out. Is there a particular thing I should be looking at? He gets dry flakey patches around his ears and hairline. Winter is miserable for him and if we can find something to alleviate his symptoms, we'd both be happier. 

I haven't tried anything from Aubrey myself, but I know PSO'ers who swear by it. But thing that are good for pso-skin are tea tree, aloe vera, lavendel oil, oat, almond oil, jojoba oil, chamomille oil... All really, relly good things for the skin. I'd buy some shampoo/conditioner with chamomille or lavendel, their rosemary/peppermint could be a good option too, both rosemary and peppermint are cooling and soothing, pso-skin often gets hot and irritated. Moisture, I'd for for the Evening Primrose or the Unscented Ultimate. I'd also buy a bottle of jojoba or almond oil (from them or someone else). He should have a little tube of moisturizer with them at work and stuff, so if he feels like getting dry he can take a bit on, and then massage it with oil at least once a week.

The face was the hardest place for the missus. She had a silver dollar sized patch on her forehead above her right eye and the hair line/scalp was difficult for her. For her scalp to start out they gave her this sulphur stuff to break it up but it didn't work much. and behind her ears as well. The humira, when she started that, cleared up her face and scalp almost immediately. The other patches take a while, 3-4 doses but they fade out almost to nothing. Stress is a huge trigger for ti and unfortunately lately there has been a lot of stress. I'll try to tell her about the warm oil treatment.

one of my best friends has psoriasis. back when we used to be in high school it was pretty mild and only on his scalp. but right around the time we graduated it began getting worse for him. over the last 6 years it kept progressing worse and worse and his case got nearly as severe as you can possibly get with it. just recently about 2 months ago he began some kind of new treatment he told me about, he gets some kind of shot that he takes once a month, not sure what exactly it was called, I would have to ask him. his skin condition is greatly improving very well and is not noticeable anymore unless you really look at it. all the scales and flakes are gone and the skin is almost back to the original color. i used to notice when people treated him different because of it and people like that just have no idea how to treat others with respect

Archived