DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Whats the most annoying thing Rand did?

badhead

When they tell him all the food is spoiled, 100s of people in the town ready for food, and there will be a riot followed be starvation. Then Rand just walks away.

Our hero ladies and gentlemen.

Yeah that one was brutal. Especially since by his own admission he realized he couldn't use them as "tools" and so left them to starve. He was in full blown Dark Rand mode at the time though.

When they tell him all the food is spoiled, 100s of people in the town ready for food, and there will be a riot followed be starvation. Then Rand just walks away.

Our hero ladies and gentlemen.

Yeah that one was brutal. Especially since by his own admission he realized he couldn't use them as "tools" and so left them to starve. He was in full blown Dark Rand mode at the time though.

I agree, but to be fair to Rand, he had a mountain of problems on his plate at this time.  Yes, Arad Doman is the one we see him directly abandoning, but there are problems in many of the nations of the world at this time (many of which are related to starvation due to bad harvests).  For example, we see refugees in Andor which is supposedly one of the more stable nations.  Never mind Almoth Plain, the Borderlands, and the Black Tower.  I think part of the purpose of Bandar Eban is to show us that Rand cannot solve every problem in Randland.  After he's had his epiphany, he is able to accept his humanity, and the fact that he can't do everything, but its still worth trying to help.

AMOL Spoiler

his traty with the Sanchean.

i found the Sanchean empire a totally evil and twisted regime and ab equal if not greater evil then the DO.

it a nation based on slavery not just the Suldam /Damana which can be flimsly defended (weapn control argument) but the entire Da'coval society , ppl as property for eternity , the blood : i c -> i want -> i take mentality for example Tuon and min , the way Tuon simply declare min is my property without any regard to min wants/desires. high ranking property true but property non the less

i actually found some of the DO dream world LESS evil then the senchean vision.

I love Rand to bits, I really do. Dark Rand was thrillingly terrifying, and then I was so happy when he changed and was able to start bringing some good into the world, which is what he had always wished for. It did take a while.

Admittedly, he was quite pig-headed at times, but if I were to choose one most annoying thing, it would be his tendency to go haring off alone into battle especially while already weakened.

Like going axe-crazy with Callandor when the battle against Seanchan wasn't going well. Or how when Padan Fain stabbed Rand in the Cairhienin rebel camp, the very instant Rand wakes up after a very serious Healing and prolonged unconsciousness, he decides to go duel Sammael. Also then when he went to Ebou Dar to eliminate the Seanchan.

Will you think, man! Think!

Also I completely agree about the Black Tower. He even ignored Logain's explicit warnings...
I wish Rand had sought more camaraderie with men like him from the get go. That would have been a pretty significant. But then "to care/not to care" is one of Rand's major struggles. He wouldn't have become himself if his mistakes hadn't been extremely costly. On one hand, I admit I'm being callous to consign the Asha'man and their families to the "cost" of the Dragon Reborn's enlightenment. But if you think about it, the Aiel war had to happen so that Rand would be born on Dragonmount, and Manetheren might have had to be destroyed so he would have a peaceful place to grow up (I think Faile mentioned this)...  Rand is directly and indirectly responsible for a whole lot of death and destruction. I think his struggle with that responsibility is what makes him a very interesting character. I understand, though, if people think that he didn't struggle enough.

That said, I still love Rand for passionately chasing after hope even as his mind, body, and the world broke down around him.

• 2 weeks later...

His Asha'man speech in Lord of Chaos makes me facepalm my head off every single time.

I need to re-read that part...I don't recall what you're referring to. (I know he gave a "speech" but I don't remember the contents.)

He made a very long, awkward speech about what the Black Tower was going to be, why they were to be called Asha'man, how the ranking was going to be and why he brought the pins, and wrapped it up by "promoting" Taim to be the first Asha'man and in so doing unwittingly insulted the man.  Not to mention he essentially showed up out of nowhere and told a bunch of men who'd never even seen Rand before what to do and how to do it.  It was unbelievably awkward and I definitely wasn't the only one who shouted "Rand you idiot!" at the book while I read that part.

Oh, of course Rand had every right to do what he was doing. He was, after all, (technically,) the ultimate leader of the Black Tower, the Dragon Reborn and everything. He's the one who made it all possible.

I'm not saying he should take Taim's ego into account, at all. (Unless maybe on the off chance that he actually wanted to keep him loyal, but that's another discussion entirely.)

But what gets to me is that he doesn't even realise what he's doing. The line in particular where he states that letting the students see Rand give him the sword & Dragon pins might in fact enhance Taim's authority instead of undermining it... Just, no. Rand, no.

Oh, of course Rand had every right to do what he was doing. He was, after all, (technically,) the ultimate leader of the Black Tower, the Dragon Reborn and everything. He's the one who made it all possible.

I'm not saying he should take Taim's ego into account, at all. (Unless maybe on the off chance that he actually wanted to keep him loyal, but that's another discussion entirely.)

But what gets to me is that he doesn't even realise what he's doing. The line in particular where he states that letting the students see Rand give him the sword & Dragon pins might in fact enhance Taim's authority instead of undermining it... Just, no. Rand, no.

Wait then how should he have done it? Give it to Taim in private and have him introduce the pins?

Wait then how should he have done it? Give it to Taim in private and have him introduce the pins?

That would have probably been the best way to go about it. I'm thinking he probably did that whole speech so that the students could see him, to keep from becoming a faceless, distant authority figure. But he could have achieved the same in a way that didn't involve publicly stomping on Taim's ego. 

His Asha'man speech in Lord of Chaos makes me facepalm my head off every single time.

I need to re-read that part...I don't recall what you're referring to. (I know he gave a "speech" but I don't remember the contents.)

He made a very long, awkward speech about what the Black Tower was going to be, why they were to be called Asha'man, how the ranking was going to be and why he brought the pins, and wrapped it up by "promoting" Taim to be the first Asha'man and in so doing unwittingly insulted the man.  Not to mention he essentially showed up out of nowhere and told a bunch of men who'd never even seen Rand before what to do and how to do it.  It was unbelievably awkward and I definitely wasn't the only one who shouted "Rand you idiot!" at the book while I read that part.

Ah ok, got it. It's coming back to me now. Thx.

That part didn't bother me much; I read it as an unexpected leader showing his expected inexperience. :)

Archived