DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask Simple questions, get simple answers (aMoL version covering the entire series)

Barid Bel Medar

Posting some spoiler Q/A here from the Sacramento book signing with Brandon, Harriet and Jason, since I cannot start a topic in this board, but we wanted to include these in the Memory Keeper write-up.  These questions and answers are paraphrased as overheard by people coming through the line to ask questions Friday, 2/8/2013 at Barnes in Noble in Citrus Heights, CA:

The full report

So....

The spoilers.....

Bela's death was the runaway winner for most brought up subject, to which Brandon usually arched his arm across the head of Memory Keeper Avienda, pointed at Harriet and said, "Blame her."  At one point he said he wrote a scene where she fought back to life, but Harriet cut it.  She overheard this, said it wasn't true and Brandon responded that he'd wanted to.  He then said that he likes to think that when the horn is called next one of the heroes will be riding a shaggy, gray mare.

Does Faile get the throne?  Yes.

Multiple people asked about the tinker song and the way of the leaf.  Brandon said it's more than a song, it's a way of life.  The song itself would mean peace and harmony for all people.  Robert Jordan said it can't be found, it's a way of life (to quote Brandon, quoting RJ, "The Tinkers never do find their damn song.")  Put another way, as Brandon wrote on the cover of one Memory Keeper's book: "journey over destination."  

Rand's pipe-lighting came up a few times, to which Brandon stated in no uncertain terms that it's just not explained in the notes, that it's something the readers get to answer themselves.

Someone asked if Rand riding off at the end was Hoid.  Brandon said it wasn't, but he liked the question.  Someone else suggested that maybe Androl was Hoid. [Me]

Was the Last Battle chapter in AMoL 190 pages long because that was how Jordan wanted it?  No, Brandon made this decision himself because he felt like none of the characters could put their weapons down during this stretch, so he wanted the reader to be in the same predicament and not be able to put the book down.  

When asked who Nakomi was, Brandon said that it wasn't answered by Robert Jordan so it was important that he left it that way.

When asked about the ending he said he thought Robert Jordan left it open so the reader could fill in what happened for themselves.  Then he said that he thought Rand probably did go talk to Tam before he left but maybe not Lan.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that the DO is sealed up, he can no longer exert control over the living as seen in Moggy's POV, however, it is not clear about what the DO's control is over those already dead.

When the DO was still free [ IE the bore opened ] It had control over DF dead as seen by recycled souls and POVs of various characters saying the dead who failed were in for major punishment.

Can anyone shine any light [ I know, bad pun ] on what control over the dead the DO now has after being sealed away ? 

Also. considering Hinderstap's incredible power, why did the light forces not send the dying there? [ those too far gone to heal ] Instead of leaving them to die on the battlefield and only concentrate on the less wounded, who arguably could not return to battle, the dying could have been recycled throughout the battles each morning.

Guest Jim.Firanzi

The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legends fade to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the forth age by some, an Age yet to come, an age long past, a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings or endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was A beginning.

I do not believe the DO can remain imprisoned forever.  Rand and Nynaeve and Moiraine created a stronger seal than at the ending of the second age, but eventually I suspect the seal will weaken and the DO will begin exerting more influence over the world.  My personal feeling is that the DO has no control at all over the dead for many lifetimes of men.

JF I do not believe the DO can remain imprisoned forever. 

DE Yes, that is definitely the case, but that is not necessarily proof to the question one way or the other.

JF Rand and Nynaeve and Moiraine created a stronger seal than at the ending of the second age, but eventually I suspect the seal will weaken and the DO will begin exerting more influence over the world. 

DE More likely, a new bore will be made, as was done by Mierin and Beidomon. 

JF My personal feeling is that the DO has no control at all over the dead for many lifetimes of men.

DE Exactly my question, is there anything in either the books or interviews that can verify this? 

Thanks for the reply, but the questions remain unanswered.

The DO is referred to as the lord of the grave, so does he always have control over the dead? Even while imprisoned? Or just when he breaks out, he automatically seizes everybody who dies from there on out? I know that you guys said that he might not have control over the dead for "many lifetimes of men", but what happens to the dead souls that he did have control over???

So, not sure if this was asked anywhere, but I know most of us were searching really hard for hints of when Demandred's alias was mentioned in earlier books as hinted by BS.. now that we finally know who his alias was (Bao the Wyld), where was he mentioned in the previous books? I know it was probably just in passing, but was it really mentioned or was this information incorrect?

Why was the second to last book called Towers of Midnight? They were mentioned like once...

The title meaning was two-fold.

Representing the Forsaken is one meaning and the most obvious.

The second has to do with what the actual Towers of Midnight in Seanchan represent, namely the Consolidation of the Seanchan empire. Which is exactly what Rand is setting up and guiding/manipulating everyone to this side of the ocean throughout the book.

The Fires of Heaven is a much more obscure title IMO.

So was Lan actually dead and Rand resurrected him up or was he just severely injured and managed to rouse himself?

How many channellers did the Aiel bring with them? I remember at Malden the Shaido alone had 400-500 channellers, Rand's Aiel must have had 4-5 times that number.

Did the Sea Folk do anything other than send Windfinders? By all accounts they're fearsome warriors, I'm sure they could have been used as infantry somewhere.

Was the signifcance of the filed-teeth on some Red Veils every revealed?

1) No, Lan survived, the DO either missed it, or was lying to try and trick Rand. He is still mortally wounded, but alive - Narishma heals him just enough to keep him alive to get further healing. 

2) a point of contention, the numbers of all armies/channelers are confusing in the book, it seems that many disappear, someone should really ask Brandon about that. 

3) On-screen, no, the only thing that the Sea Folk do is keep the Storm from killing everyone - however, there would likely be warriors fighting and protecting the Windfinders at Thakandar. 

4) Filed teeth Red Veils are the Aiel that have been Turned when they are sent to the Blight to kill the DO. Those without filed teeth are the ones that are born and raised in the Town. Only some of these can channel while all of the filed-teeth are channelers. 

So, not sure if this was asked anywhere, but I know most of us were searching really hard for hints of when Demandred's alias was mentioned in earlier books as hinted by BS.. now that we finally know who his alias was (Bao the Wyld), where was he mentioned in the previous books? I know it was probably just in passing, but was it really mentioned or was this information incorrect?

Demandred was mentioned in a private interview with the DO at SG in LOC. 

He was told to be use balefire in the DO's service. It says there that he was taking a gamble that could have huge chances for success. In turn, the DO hinted that he might be made Nae'blis.

At the end of that book Demandred has another appearance where it seems he has succeeded at the task given to him.

Only Moridin knew what Demandred was up to as was clear from other POVs of the other forsaken. The name Bao and Wyld don't appear in any of the earlier books.

He was told to be use balefire in the DO's service. It says there that he was taking a gamble that could have huge chances for success. In turn, the DO hinted that he might be made Nae'blis.

At the end of that book Demandred has another appearance where it seems he has succeeded at the task given to him.

Only Moridin knew what Demandred was up to as was clear from other POVs of the other forsaken. The name Bao and Wyld don't appear in any of the earlier books.

This is well-known, but Brandon Sanderson mentioned numerous times that Demandred's other character was mentioned in the other books and we were all trying very hard to find it. Now that we finally know who his alternate ego was, I'm surprised no one went to find the reference point. It was one of the more popular theory discussions.

1) No, Lan survived, the DO either missed it, or was lying to try and trick Rand. He is still mortally wounded, but alive - Narishma heals him just enough to keep him alive to get further healing. 

2) a point of contention, the numbers of all armies/channelers are confusing in the book, it seems that many disappear, someone should really ask Brandon about that. 

3) On-screen, no, the only thing that the Sea Folk do is keep the Storm from killing everyone - however, there would likely be warriors fighting and protecting the Windfinders at Thakandar. 

4) Filed teeth Red Veils are the Aiel that have been Turned when they are sent to the Blight to kill the DO. Those without filed teeth are the ones that are born and raised in the Town. Only some of these can channel while all of the filed-teeth are channelers. 

Thanks for the response.

To ask another question, maybe not a simple one: since when could Compulsion be used on people through their dreams? I had assumed that the person needed to be physically present for a weave to work on them, or at least in the semi-physical state of TAR but Graendal was dropping into dreams to use Compulsion. If that is how it can work, it raises the question of why it wasn't done earlier.

This is well-known, but Brandon Sanderson mentioned numerous times that Demandred's other character was mentioned in the other books and we were all trying very hard to find it. Now that we finally know who his alternate ego was, I'm surprised no one went to find the reference point. It was one of the more popular theory discussions.

The RJ/BS quotes about Demandred were a bit red herring and a bit Aes Sedai answer.  I need to look at the quotes again, but I thought the where was "you can figure it out" type of answer, but the who was still anyone's guess.  As to seeing the alter-ego on screen, I need to flip back to the Graendal scenes when she did stuff in Shara.  I am wondering if Demandred had a cameo there, but without the direct link that it was him.

How did Rand waltz out of the camps with the face of a very powerful and dangerous Forsaken?  Will Rand be hunted and slayed by the very civilization that he saved? 

Why do you think the general population(heck even AS for that matter) would have any idea what Moridin looks like?

The combatants in the camp weren't just the general population.  They were active in the war against the Forsaken.  It seems at points near the ending that Nyneve wasn't in on the switcharoo.  She even expressed regret that Rand was the one dying and the "other" one seemed like he may make it.  Why didn't she place Moridin under arrest?

This didn't make sense to me either. Surely Nyneave and Moirane knew that the second body that emerged from the pit was one of the Forsaken, so why was he nursed to health and allowed to escape? Perhaps they did plan to question him but Alivia helped him escape? That should raise an alarm though.

Because they're faced with the possibility that either Rand thought Moridin worth saving enough to carry him out (apparantly what they did think) or that Moridin had carried Rand out (again they'd want to know why).  He wouldn't be considered much of a threat as they should (between them) sense that he's burned out, so the light guard also made sense.  I guess the reason we didn't hear an alarm is because there wasn't enough time for it to be raised.  As Rand leaves most people are distracted by the funeral, Cads notices and determines that it's Rand in there...

Members of the Forsaken would have been thought of as the equivalent of war criminals today.  What war criminal wouldn't you immediately place in chains and deal with?  Just because he looks like he may be burned out?  There should be congressional hearings when the camp finds out that Moridin is missing.

How did Rand waltz out of the camps with the face of a very powerful and dangerous Forsaken?  Will Rand be hunted and slayed by the very civilization that he saved? 

Why do you think the general population(heck even AS for that matter) would have any idea what Moridin looks like?

The combatants in the camp weren't just the general population.  They were active in the war against the Forsaken.  It seems at points near the ending that Nyneve wasn't in on the switcharoo.  She even expressed regret that Rand was the one dying and the "other" one seemed like he may make it.  Why didn't she place Moridin under arrest?

This didn't make sense to me either. Surely Nyneave and Moirane knew that the second body that emerged from the pit was one of the Forsaken, so why was he nursed to health and allowed to escape? Perhaps they did plan to question him but Alivia helped him escape? That should raise an alarm though.

Because they're faced with the possibility that either Rand thought Moridin worth saving enough to carry him out (apparantly what they did think) or that Moridin had carried Rand out (again they'd want to know why).  He wouldn't be considered much of a threat as they should (between them) sense that he's burned out, so the light guard also made sense.  I guess the reason we didn't hear an alarm is because there wasn't enough time for it to be raised.  As Rand leaves most people are distracted by the funeral, Cads notices and determines that it's Rand in there...

Members of the Forsaken would have been thought of as the equivalent of war criminals today.  What war criminal wouldn't you immediately place in chains and deal with?  Just because he looks like he may be burned out?  There should be congressional hearings when the camp finds out that Moridin is missing.

Who could identify Moridin? Very few people probably saw the unidentified body. The women who went into SG are in on the secret. Cadsuane figured it out too, but I doubt she will cause problems. 

I'd argue that my reasoning explains why they didn't just let him die - keep him alive for questioning as he can't hurt anyone, gain knowledge.  I imagine (for my own peace of mind) that Alivia took care of the guards, who didn't need to be channelers as he was burnt out.  We don't see any aftermath of his escape, so really don't know what happens. 

OneWhoMustBeLeashed - I'm not sure that Moiraine is 'in on the secret', Nyn figures out that something's wrong (or right) because of the way the SG are acting, but didn't know at the time.  They appear to have kept quiet about Moridins identity, but their's no stated reason why.  But amongst the 'good guys' they're the only ones still alive that can ID Moridin (I think)

The DO is referred to as the lord of the grave, so does he always have control over the dead? Even while imprisoned? Or just when he breaks out, he automatically seizes everybody who dies from there on out? I know that you guys said that he might not have control over the dead for "many lifetimes of men", but what happens to the dead souls that he did have control over???

I'm really not sure about this either, [ see my questions above post 78 ] but maybe there's a hint to this when Rand asks Ishydin to do the right thing "if my victory is not assured, niether is your fall."[ page 455 ]  Perhaps at that point, Rand was telling Ishydin that he could break free of the DO's control even after death.

Here's something that just occurred to me

Apparently, once someone goes over to the dark one their soul is damned for enternity. However, we know that both Rand's soul and Moridin's soul have been spun out many times. We know that Moridin as Ishmael started out as a good guy - non-damned. We know that Rand's soul has gone over to the DO before. So.... how are these two, and many others, not spun out as evil doers already linked to the DO in every age?

Apparently, once someone goes over to the dark one their soul is damned for enternity. However, we know that both Rand's soul and Moridin's soul have been spun out many times. We know that Moridin as Ishmael started out as a good guy - non-damned. We know that Rand's soul has gone over to the DO before. So.... how are these two, and many others, not spun out as evil doers already linked to the DO in every age?

Well, we've seen that Verin and Ingtar have redeemed themselves, but granted, assuming that a soul hasn't redeemed itself, I'm wondering if the DO has a permanent hold or not. 

Also, Rand has stated before that he is sure that he has never joined with the shadow ever.[ Though just because he said it at that point, bfore his epiphany, doesn't mean he's correct. ]

Well, we've seen that Verin and Ingtar have redeemed themselves, but granted, assuming that a soul hasn't redeemed itself, I'm wondering if the DO has a permanent hold or not. 

I was under the impression that Ingtar and Verin only redeemed themselves in deeds, they did not break the DO's hold on them. That's what made Verin so courageous and honorable; she did the unthinkable to fight the DO.

Archived