DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Characters' Fates Speculation Thread

Recently a thread was started to compile a list of characters' fates not specified in AMoL to ask Brandon and Harriet about.  This is a thread intended for speculations on the fates of said characters.  Did they live? Did they die? Where are they now? Go!

Here's the list so far:

The List: 

Agelmar Jagad
Amys
Ashmanaille
Bael
Bair
Barasina
Basel Gill
Bodewhin Cauthon
Bran Al'vere
Bruan
Cenn Buie
Dain Bornhald
Delarn
Dhearic
Edarra

Elaida
Elyas Machera
Erim

Ewin Finngar
Faolain
Han
Haral Luhhan
Harnan
Hoppers Soul
Indirian
Janwin
Janya Frende
Jheran
Jolene

Jur Grady
Lamgwin
Leane Sharif
Lelaine Akashi
Lini
Magla Daronos
Mandalein
Marin Al'vere
Melaine
Monaelle
Morgase Trakand
Nandera
Natti Cauthon
Neald
Ragan
Saerin Asnobar
Samitsu
Sarene Nemdahl(Compelled)
Saroiya
Seaine
Silviana
Sorilea
Suana Dragand
Sulin
Takima
Tallanvor
Teslyn Baradon
Theodrin
Timolan
Tylee
Uno
Valan Luca
Vanin
Will Al'seen

Teslyn joins the Kin, or some new group of channelers.

Borhold will marry an Aes Sedai.

The Seanchan will let the Aes Sedai take their sisters back, but they let them keep Elaida.

Bloody Uno will do whatever he flaming wants, you crackbrained, white livered, goat fathered, bull goosed bull.

Vanin will pawn the HoV for several casks of Two Rivers Tabac

Lini will conquer Shara alone, with a stern look.

Does Julian Snadar live? He had a POV but then was never mentioned that I remember.

We really don't know.  All he got was a brief cameo as if to say "Oh yeah, this guy was in the story too."  I'm guessing that RJ must not have had a lot of notes on Juilen and Brandon gave him a brief cameo just so we would know that he did, in fact, fight in the last battle.   I had mixed feelings about his scene.  On one hand I'm glad that Brandon acknowledged his existence, but on the other the scene just seemed random and out of place.  As to whether he lived or died, he was not on Rand's list of those who had died for him but then again I'm not sure if Rand ever actually met Juilen.

I had always hoped that he and Hurin would cross paths eventually.  I remember at one point Juilen emphasizing that he was a thief catcher and NOT and theif taker, so I always wondered how the two would react to one another.

It would be fun to know, for us super-fans. but few of those would have contributed to the book. I will say that I REEEEAAAALLY expected to see hopper with the "wolf heros" that came when the horn sounded at shayol ghul.  Im going to go ahead and splice that in to my memory of the book. haha

Hopper's soul is destroyed. He'll never be reborn.  :unsure:

Here is something on Hopper, however, it seems to be purely a Brandon creation because he wanted it to be so, so make what you want of this. 

Q: Was Perrin’s hammer forged with Hopper’s soul, or was he considered dead at the time?

Brandon: There was nothing in the notes to say I could put Hopper’s soul in the hammer, but there was also nothing to say I couldn’t, so I believe it was there, since otherwise it would be gone forever. 

As you can see, it was not in RJ's notes - but it seems to me to go against the logic of the Wheel. I am not sure how Hopper's soul could possibly be brought back once it had been destroyed forever - let alone how it could possibly be forged into a hammer. 

He says he believes it is there. I get the feeling that is him speaking as a fan, rather than the author. He didn't say he wrote it like that, just that he believes it was there, as if he wishes it was so.

At least, that is how I'm interpreting that answer.

Also I think it adds realism to have characters like morgase, who have somewhat prominent roles at certain times, then fade away. Not all characters can become indefinetly more integral. Well, I guess it could, if brandon wanted to write twenty or thirty more books...

I think that was true for many of the characters.  Rather than giving that story line full and complete closure, RJ appeared to just let people stick around without a true role any more.  It took me a while to realize that in the books, but looking back I can see that it happened many times throughout the series.

Many people here have mentioned/complained that "favorite character X" didn't get any real page time in aMoL.  Looking at that person's stroyline, most of the time, that person's role was done in the book.

I seriously have to hope that Valan Luca was mauled by his own animals while on route to 'entertain' the armies at Merrilor.

I seriously have to hope that Valan Luca was mauled by his own animals while on route to 'entertain' the armies at Merrilor.

I'm going to comfort myself with the notion that the whole metal-melting thing also happened at Valan Luca's show and that the lions were able to escape and maul him.    It's also a pretty neat explanation for how Petra was in Ebou Dar as a gate guard.

I'd like to know the fate and identities of the women on the list Moirane promised to give Thom.

Good one! I'd like to know if Master Gill re-opens the Queen's Blessing, or maybe starts an inn somewhere else.

Here is something on Hopper, however, it seems to be purely a Brandon creation because he wanted it to be so, so make what you want of this.

Q: Was Perrin’s hammer forged with Hopper’s soul, or was he considered dead at the time?

Brandon: There was nothing in the notes to say I could put Hopper’s soul in the hammer, but there was also nothing to say I couldn’t, so I believe it was there, since otherwise it would be gone forever.

As you can see, it was not in RJ's notes - but it seems to me to go against the logic of the Wheel. I am not sure how Hopper's soul could possibly be brought back once it had been destroyed forever - let alone how it could possibly be forged into a hammer.

This sums up my biggest gripe with his treatment of the story. Forget internal consistency, let's just say crap and hope people buy it.

Make up whatever story you want for these people, it's all a whim anyways. If it's not in the book it didn't happen, and blame the author if you don't like it.

Hopper is in the hammer and Valan Luca was off-screen fighting the DO after Rand because he is the real Dragon. Both may as well be true.

As I said earlier, that was never explicitly stated in the books (that I can remember), so I just took that answer as him being all "well, as a fan this is what I believe", rather than "as an author, this is what I implied" kinda thing (as mentioned a few posts up).

Archived