DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How far down do Two Rivers roots go?

vegetattack15

I was thinking about how far the main characters have gone since the beginning and it got me pondering the loyalties of them all to Rand. If they had to make a choice between Rand and their new found passion/love what would it be?

Nynaeve- Rand, Lan, or Healing?

I think she would in a heartbeat choose Rand.

Egwene- Rand, or the White Tower?

Again, Rand

Mat- Rand, Tuon, his idea of freedom from Taveren?

I used to think Rand, but all this talk about Mat being Hawkwing reborn has me pondering other thoughts.

Perrin- Rand or Faile?

Faile, which is why I have grown to dislike Perrin in the last few books. The world be damned if it means Faile's safety. He would be the one of the Original three to turn to the dark one if I had to choose one.

Other folk:

Moraine-Rand or the Dragon

Pretty obvious I think, even though they are one and the same, she has stated before she'd kill him before she let the Dark One have him.

Lan-Rand or Nyn.

Im not sure on this one, Lan is always willing to sacrifice to beat the shadow, and if the only way to keep Rand alive was for Nyn to die....

Thom-Rand or ???

Thom has already lost a lot that is important to him, I think he would sacrifice to keep Rand alive.

Loial- Need I say more.

Bela-LOL

I was thinking about how far the main characters have gone since the beginning and it got me pondering the loyalties of them all to Rand. If they had to make a choice between Rand and their new found passion/love what would it be?

Nynaeve- Rand' date=' Lan, or Healing?

I think she would in a heartbeat choose Rand.

[/quote']

I'm not so sure. She might put Rand first when thinking of the bigger picture (the dragon reborn and the prophesies etc) but I don't think she would put him first simply due to her Two Rivers Loyalty. If it's Rand from the Two Rivers or Lan her love, I think she'd put Lan first.

Egwene- Rand, or the White Tower?

Again, Rand

Oh, I think her faith would be to the Tower but I don't think she would see it as mutually exclusive, at least s far as The Dragon Reborn and T'aimon Gaidon is concerned. Which isn't to say she wouldn't aid Rand if she thought the Tower were abusing him, but she would probably see that as the Tower abusing their power and see it as her prerogative to change it.

Mat- Rand, Tuon, his idea of freedom from Taveren?

I used to think Rand, but all this talk about Mat being Hawkwing reborn has me pondering other thoughts.

Hawking reborn? Do you mean that litterally? He's definitely not Hawking reborn. Hawking wouldn't have appeared when Mat blew the Horn otherwise. You have to be a warrior in Tel'eranrhiod awaiting rebirth for that to happen. At least I thought that was the case.

If you mean he is Hawking reborn, in the sense of 'becoming like another Hawking', I would agree in his tactical sense but I think he lacks Hawkings ambition for conquest. As for choosing between Tuon, and Rand I think he'd pick Rand (but he'd be thinking of Tuon ;) ). Again, they probably wouldn't be mutually exclusive though. As for freedom from Taveren, I think he might choose that if he could (although taveren has been as good to him as it has been bad). I think he's probably reconciled that that won't happen by now though. Not until one of them dies or the prophesies are fulfilled anyway.

Perrin- Rand or Faile?

Faile, which is why I have grown to dislike Perrin in the last few books. The world be damned if it means Faile's safety. He would be the one of the Original three to turn to the dark one if I had to choose one.

I agree he would probably put Faile first. I don't think he would go to the dark one though.

Moraine-Rand or the Dragon

Pretty obvious I think, even though they are one and the same, she has stated before she'd kill him before she let the Dark One have him.

Oh, dragon dragon dragon all the way... I agree.

Lan-Rand or Nyn.

Im not sure on this one, Lan is always willing to sacrifice to beat the shadow, and if the only way to keep Rand alive was for Nyn to die....

I'm not sure of this either. He is devoted to Nynaeve, but I think, in viewing the bigger picture he would choose Rand. Or rather The Dragon reborn.

Thom-Rand or ???

Thom has already lost a lot that is important to him, I think he would sacrifice to keep Rand alive.

Agreed. Earlier in the book Thom would have put ??? first (as he pretty much did his girlfriend before she was killed);. But at this stage, Yes I agree he would put Rand first. But would he put Rand before Mat...? That I'm not sure of.

Loial- Need I say more.

Nope, I think he'll stick with Rand and his book as much as he can, at least as much as he can stay healthy away from the Stedding. His requirement for the stedding would probably cause him to slack somewhat, but since he would die otherwise... he can't help Rand if he's dead can he? So it amounts to the same thing.

Last books spoilers:

Actually, I suddenly remembered he's now a married man isn't he? I could be wrong...

I think that when you boil it all down, the contrast isnt Their Love v Rand, but Their Love v The Future of the World. I think that in order to have the one, you have to support the other. Perrin thinks himself a small-town boy, he chooses to fight small battles here and there in order to stop larger battles all over. He is besotted by Faile, but in The Dragon Reborn, he sends her away in order to fight the trollocks in Emonds Field - I think he knows where his duty lies. Mat also knows his duty - several times he has questioned his lack of ability to be taken completely away from Rand, he will not leave him ultimately.

I agree with most of your assumptions of loyalty, but I'd disagree with a few of them. I don't know what it is, but I feel like Egwene would choose the Tower over Rand any day. She has become so obsessed with becoming an Aes Sedai, I think she's willing to do anything for it. Also, the Lan/Nyn loyalty issue, I think they'd pick each other over Rand. It just seems like they are besotted with each other and would rather choose each other, even over the Dragon Reborn. For everything else though, I agree, I think that they would put their loyalty in Rand rather than a significant other, or other such person.

I agree. Egwene doesn't seem to have a very high esteem of Rand anymore. I think she would choose the Tower, in any case, she'd think of the Tower's best interests before Rand's.

I also think Lan and Nynaeve would chose each other, especially Lan. He seems quite desperately in love with Nynaeve.

I'm not so sure about Mat actually, he's a tricky character. He does complain a lot about his ties to Rand, but in the end i think he understands the necessity of his helping Rand.

Mat doesn't have the temperment of Hawking. Mat is a good guy' date=' but pretty chaotic. Hawking was always shown to be very rigid and shows faith in strong laws.

Definitly not Mat's style.[/quote']

I agree, Artur Hawkwing is more in the likeness of Galad if he must be compared to someone. Stubborn, unrelenting and uncompromising once his mind has been set. Such as his refusing negotiations with the White Tower after the Amyrlin plotted against him, and subsequently setting siege on the Tower, and putting an enormous sum of money on the head of each Aes Sedai (forcing them all to go into hiding and ruining any power or influence they had), with the plan to cripple the Tower of its power forever.

Hawkwing managed to set such a deep fear into the Aes Sedai, even though his siege failed, they stilled and deposed the Amyrlin. For the whole period of time up until Elaida no Aes Sedai from the Reds was ever given the Amyrlin's chair out of the memory.

I doubt Matt comes close to that. He doesn't seem to share the ability to intimidate the whole Tower like Artur Hawkwing did, nor does he seem to have the desire to even though certain Aes Sedai gave more then enough reason to.

I think many of you are underestimating Eg's loyalty to Rand, in minor circumstances she would choose the tower, but when it comes to something really super important, I think she would be there for Rand. I have no backup for this though, it's just how I see Eg reacting if she ever had to make a difficult choice.

Before Tarmon Gaidon almost everyone would put Rand (or rather the Dragon Reborn) first excpt for Perrin with Faile. So that part is unnecessary.

After Tarmon Gaidon I don't think any of thmem would have Rand first. That is one of the points of the books, how everyone kind of grows apart from one another going in their own way. Perrin will likely stay in the Two Rivers/maybe Saldaea with Faile if she gets the throne, Egwene will stay in the tower and she won't put Rand over the tower and that has been obvious, Lan and Nynaeve are going to be with each other (in my opinion in Malkier) and in the previous books Nynaeve didnt really treat Rand well until Winter's Heart and then she and Rand got closer. Mat will be with Tuon and I really don't really think he will put Rand first.

Archived