DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Luckers Teaser

Luckers

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idea: Something that is occurring: attack on Caemlyn

Possible mistake: People have objected to the inadequate defense/blocking of the waygate, right?

Explanation in TDR: I don't have the ready familiarity others do with it, but I imagine Mat's trip to Caemlyn/learning of Gaebril's plot may have included something.

I'm still confused about the NDA issue though. I understand that it's not from the parts that Luckers had early access to, but if it's from the prologue/1/2/11, I don't see why there needs to be secrecy. So either there's some alternate loophole involved...something BS has said in interview or on Twitter, or perhaps the resolution of the "mistake" would include parts of the book included in the NDA?

[edit: typo]

Okay, since it is a New Year, perhaps a new clue. There is something in the Guide to Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time that would seemingly support this issue being a mistake. (Props for this clue properly go to Terez, who brought this to my attention).

Okay, everything I come up with sounds weak (disregarding the BWB, of which I know zilch). Either way, that's what I got right now:

(a) Something to do with the 13x13 process. On the pro side, the description we've had is odd (I know I didn't expect it to manifest that way), so maybe there's something wrong about it; On the con side, we've heard about it in ToM, so I don't know if it qualifies. Also, nothing Sheriam told Egwene, or what Liandrin later said, seems to explain it. And if it's something to do with 13x13 at the Town, well then I really don't know. Either way, when I think TDR, that's what comes to mind.

(b) Dreams and protecting them - the fact that Moridin brought Rand back to wherever it is they met in TEotW. Moiraine talked about channelers and dreams in TDR, and about shielding one's dreams. But again, I don't think she did anything to explain how Moridin got past Rand's ward (and, BTW, most of us would assume it has something to do with their Link, meaning that I don't know who'd suspect it of being wrong).

© Something to do with the fact that so many AS are at tFoM, but no novices or Accepted? We really learned about the inner-workings of Tower-apprentices after Egwene gained her ring. Would it be something like how Accepted can handle most classes? No, that's better explained in ACoS and NStN. Well, just throwing it out there.

(d) The Aiel are something else we gained some insight into in TDR. But what could be wrong about them (at tFoM, I presume)? I need to re-read Aviendha's account of the happenings in the tents.

@yoniy0 I don't have any good ideas myself but regarding your (a) maybe it's something about  reversing the 13x13 process. There is a moment in TDR where Perrin is spying on Lanfear and Ishy in TAR and thinks that she is denying the DO because he thinks that Isy IS the DO.

Light! One of the Forsaken in my dreams! Light! And unless he had missed something, she had defied the Dark One. He had been told and taught that the Shadow could have no power over you if you denied it; but how could a Darkfriend—not just a Darkfriend; one of the Forsaken!—defy the Shadow?

-TDR, ch 36

Perhaps there is a way to reverse the 13x13 turning by doing this. This may seem to contradict a quote by RJ that reversing the 13x13 turning can not be done unaided, but perhaps if there is an outside push of some sort it can be made to work.

It does seem weak, I admit, especially given that, presumably, the Aes Sedai dealt with many turned people during the Trolloc wars and never managed to reverse the turning (at least so far as we know).

Luckers, on a different note, can you tell us what you thought of AMoL overall?  Just a thumbs up or thumbs down?  Leigh Butler has given her non-spoiler review and provided a whole heckuva lot more than thumbs up/down in it - and I am sure she had to sign an NDA as well.

@Logoth: I'm fairly certain that Leigh Butler got authorization from Tor, or Team Jordan, etc. to do her pre-release review.  That is why its one of the the few pre-release reviews out there..  I don't think Luckers has that same authorization to do so here.

Some ideas on the hint:

-I wonder about opening fireworks, etc., and exposing the contents to air rumor that has so far seemed to be a mistake to the characters (Mat opens a couple in tDR) could turn out to actually happen in aMoL.  I believe the BWB mentions this rumor about fireworks as well, but can't seem to find my copy at the moment for confirmation..

Luckers, on a different note, can you tell us what you thought of AMoL overall?  Just a thumbs up or thumbs down?  Leigh Butler has given her non-spoiler review and provided a whole heckuva lot more than thumbs up/down in it - and I am sure she had to sign an NDA as well.

Leigh got permission from Tor to do that, whereas I'm under direct instruction not to talk about anything from the book at all (even in the threads where others with the book are talking about it, which can be really frustrating, lol). I suppose I could say that I enjoyed it for what it is.

Luckers, If someone guesses it correcty, are you at liberty to acknowledge it? Or do we have to wait until 1 week after?

I probably won't say until the day of the release (that is, if someone guesses it/has guessed it/will guess it, whatevs). Only if no one has guessed it will I let it continue after the release.

Guest WhiskyFoxtrot

I don't have the books in front of me, but my guess would be something about how control of small circles work.

Idea: Something that is occurring: attack on Caemlyn

Possible mistake: People have objected to the inadequate defense/blocking of the waygate, right?

Explanation in TDR: I don't have the ready familiarity others do with it, but I imagine Mat's trip to Caemlyn/learning of Gaebril's plot may have included something.

I'm still confused about the NDA issue though. I understand that it's not from the parts that Luckers had early access to, but if it's from the prologue/1/2/11, I don't see why there needs to be secrecy. So either there's some alternate loophole involved...something BS has said in interview or on Twitter, or perhaps the resolution of the "mistake" would include parts of the book included in the NDA?

[edit: typo]

This was what first came to mind: something regarding Caemlyn and the waygate.

Lol, there is a fair chance that you guys will be annoyed with me about this. My own reaction was 'dude, that's not a mistake'. But... you know. I'm stuck here parenting the spoiler board but unable to interact with it and I wanted to play.

*sighs*

Ok, here's the list of topics that are on the table:

#2 male sa'angreal
Bonding
Linking / circles
Min's visions
Rand in appearing in TAR and RL simultaneously
Seals
Black Tower
Battle of Caemlyn
Callandor
Rand cutting balefire simply by holding callandor in front of him
inadequate blocking of waygate
Talmanes at Caemlyn/near death experience
13x13 process
Dreams and protecting them
AS at FOM but no novice/accepted
exposing fireworks to air
nature of the taint on the ways

Tinker lady's conversation with Moiraine
How did Moiraine know Sam and Bel'al in illian and tear
Did Lanfear delve Mat
Why did Moiraine let others know Mat sounded the horn
Saldea
Darkhounds
Wolfbrothers
Aiel
Balefire
TAR

And here are Lucker's comments:

My own reaction was 'dude, that's not a mistake'

As I said, I can deliver this teaser entirely because it has nothing to do with what I've read in the book. You may work it out based on what you know to be occuring, and the answer you are looking for is in tDR.

RJ's Wheel of Time seems to support the issue being a mistake.

The subject matter was touched on, but not the specific issue

Consider what is occuring and what is explained

Archived