DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Luckers... Official on Brandon

Luckers

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just happy to know how it ends. I will always have the first few books to remind me of the good old days. I don't thhinkid have been satisfied with anyone but RJ writing it all. I'm glad that there were people out there who kept this thing alive and helped it come to this ending. It isn't RJ, but it's better than an incomplete story that I've been following for 20 some years.

Vambram - I think that is Awesome!!! :-)

I have been on record here for years as proudly saying that - despite a few things - I thouroughly enjoyed TGS. TOM was where the wheels began to fall of for me - in a big way.

One thing I am deeply pumped about is knowing that we have - what is it? 55,000 - words in AMOL that are ALL RJ?

Fish

Well the numerous mistakes in TGS and especially ToM have been well documented and admitted by Team Jordan.

Can you provide citation for this? I don't disbelieve you, I'm just curious what all these documented mistakes are. I have plenty of my own issues with the last 2 books, but I don't recall seeing Team Jordan admitting to numerous mistakes...

(again, just curious, not being argumentative)

One side-note: I joined the series around LOC. At that time, RJ said he needed 2-3 more books to finish the story. As more books came out, he often said 2-3 more books. When the dying man said he needed just 1 more to finish, I think he was just keeping up his spirits for the fight, giving himself a goal so as not to give up. I don't see how a long-time fan of the series could give any credence to RJ saying he was almost done. To me, it feels rushed at 3 more. I am nervous that it will end well with a scant 900 pages or whatever left.

I've seen the claim made before that RJ said he needed 2-3 more books to finish, and kept saying that. It's not backed up by any quote I've ever seen - for the early books, he used to estimate the number left.

lol. I suggest perusing the 'how many more books' tag (found on this page). Just a sampling (RJ quotes are, well, in quotes):

*edited to remove long list of quotes*

Wow, Terez, I didn't really expect you to go to that much trouble to prove me right.

I didn't. I went to that much effort to prove that the person you were responding to was right, and that you just argue because you like to argue.

So you try to prove me wrong by providing a lot of quotes that agree with me and none that agree with the person I'm arguing with? That's an interesting way of doing things. I can't say that it worked, but it's an interesting method.

Just go through the ebooks and see what all has been changed. :wink:

Or, just go to ''This Guy's'' thread and start at page one, lol. Or google it, lol. Or hit Theoryland.com. Or check out Terez's sublimely awesome WOT Interview Achive Index and read some of Team Jordan's own comments.

Fish

Indeed. I'm not aware of any one place that compiles mistakes in a neat bundle but as I said they have all been addressed at one time or another and you can see the many changes in the ebooks for things like the Tar fight. You can also check the Q&A. As for one of the statements saying they were changing Brandon's writing process to work on the unpolished feel and that they had to get AMoL "right"(really what does that say about ToM if they have to emphasize that?) we have...

'Peter Ahlstrom', on 08 Nov 2011 - 15:17, said:snapback.pngThat was the case with THE GATHERING STORM and TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT, but it's not how they're doing A MEMORY OF LIGHT. Instead, Brandon is writing a complete draft and then doing a revision or two before sending a polished draft to Team Jordan on December 31st (and that will be the first draft they see). This is more like Robert Jordan's process; he never showed anything to Harriet until it was finished. This does mean editing and revision will take longer, but rushing TOWERS caused a ton of headaches and stress, and Team Jordan and Brandon all want to avoid that this time. They have to get things RIGHT in this final book.

On a different not while I was looking for this I came across the "AMoL Progress and Excitement" thread. I was absolutely battling everyone who disagreed that the delay was the best possible thing that could happen. It was obvious Team Jordan was aware of the issues and they were taking steps to make things right. I would love to be proven right on that.

While it's safe to say I am probably still a newbie when it comes to WoT, as I only picked it up late last year after reading some of Brandon Sanderson's works, which are fantastic in their own right, I can safely say that thus far, he has done a great job finishing off the series. I have a huge appreciation for RJ's work and I think that Brandon is one of the only guys I would trust to finish a series of such depth, in a way that few writers could ever dream. RJ was very precise with certain things but even as the series goes on, there are minute errors and sections that are just not all that good, and I don't think Brandon is any different in his writing. Sure, I haven't had the time to mull it all over like some people have, but for what it's worth, he has done what needs to be done in excellent form. I have no doubts that AMoL will be intense and highly dramatic, while creating a lot of different emotions for us readers and fans. People who nitpick have nothing better to do with their time, and it's good that there are people out there who get a chance to see that this book is done well, I'd expect nothing less from a series that has had such a long time coming to it's finale. Maybe people need to take a step back and appreciate the amount of effort that is going into this book rather then arguing like a bunch of children over flaws and who get's to beta read it or whatever.

Also, complaints are nothing more then opinions. What's the old saying, "opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink"? Yeah, if I were anyone involved with a book like this, I'd tell people to stop complaining about how they don't like the way certain characters are written, by a different author none the less. If you wanted my opinion on Mat, he was boring as hell for a few books and I felt that Brandon made him more enjoyable in The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight. Kind of like how RJ had Perrin as this boring, drab emo kid who was horrendously bad for a whole 3 books while he dragged on the whole story arc with Faile. I felt that Brandon didn't touch on Perrin enough but did make him a somewhat better character in both of his books. So yeah, no writer is perfect, people just need to get over it and realize that their opinions just sound like whining.

Mat was boring as hell in KoD?  Well, I think that's a pretty unpopular opinion.

I guess I could see why someone would actually like TGS/ToM Mat if they disliked him before, because the two Mats are basically written completely differently from each other.

If you wanted my opinion on Mat, he was boring as hell for a few books and I felt that Brandon made him more enjoyable in The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight. Kind of like how RJ had Perrin as this boring, drab emo kid who was horrendously bad for a whole 3 books while he dragged on the whole story arc with Faile. I felt that Brandon didn't touch on Perrin enough but did make him a somewhat better character in both of his books.

1. In relation to Mat you do realize even Bradnon doesn't agree with you. He is on record as saying how badly he messed him up. Mat is a rogue and he got turned into the court jester.

2. Didn't touch on Perrin enough?!?! Are you joking? While Brandon did a very good job with that character he could have accomplished it easily in half the scenes it took. Perrins dominated ToM.

Ah well, can't please everyone: My take on this is simply that Luckers and others saw this as a chance for them to put their own stamp on the Wheel of Time - they had been reading this series closely, imagining the ending, looking for foreshadowing and closely watching characters for decades and this was the chance to have their vision of the series fulfilled.  When BS and the rest of Team Jordan didn't allow them the access that had hoped for and expected, it was a huge disappointment.  I would feel the same, if I were in their shoes.

However, I have greatly enjoyed BS's take on the WoT.  While his take on the characters is at times different than mine, at times the same, I find it a refreshing and welcome breath of air to a series that had, under Jordan's watch, been stale for me at times.  Even writers that finished their own series are greatly denigrated for not following the visions we had created, If one looks to the ends of any epic series it is easy to see that it is simply not possible to please everyone.

So perhaps BS's end of the WoT would not have been Jordan's - or mine - or Luckers'... but it is AN ending.  And for that, I am thankful.

Even writers that finished their own series are greatly denigrated for not following the visions we had created, If one looks to the ends of any epic series it is easy to see that it is simply not possible to please everyone.

Curious as to what authors and series you are referencing here?

Even writers that finished their own series are greatly denigrated for not following the visions we had created, If one looks to the ends of any epic series it is easy to see that it is simply not possible to please everyone.

Curious as to what authors and series you are referencing here?

For me, I'm not speaking for the OP, but I held back from the song of fire and ice series because I found out through Wikipedia what happened to some really cool characters. I still watch the show of course, but I can get my Tyrion Lannister fix thanks to HBO.

Also, not book related, but the finale to Quantum Leap sucked too.

@Ozymandias Perfect.

I disliked Goodkinds ending immensely. It was fitting though. However, I love the DT ending King wrote and others loathed it. I have never been sad at the ending of any book, but my heart went out at that ending.

If Rand doesn't die (and stay dead at some point) at the end of this series, I will be highly disappointed too. That's my opinion on the matter.

Archived