DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Luckers... Official on Brandon

Luckers

+1 Barid Bel Medar.  All reasonable suggestions/rules.

@Terez:

I will have to give this some serious thought.  I'm not usually one for solo vacations, and I've no RL friends that read WoT, so this would definitely be a departure for me...  But at the same time, I crave to talk to others who share my WoTMania, and it's been a while since I've been able to really "geek-out"....

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Terez:

I will have to give this some serious thought. I'm not usually one for solo vacations, and I've no RL friends that read WoT, so this would definitely be a departure for me... But at the same time, I crave to talk to others who share my WoTMania, and it's been a while since I've been able to really "geek-out"....

Let me second the suggestion: you should go to JordanCon and geek out. It's a blast. And I'll be doing my best to make it Theory Discussion 24x7; I'm sure I can figure out a way to fit Theories into the Poker Tournament, Karaoke, and the Art Exhibit. Seriously, just do it.

I apologize in advance for the sidetracked reply...I have a hard time not chiming in when I notice JordanCon mentioned. Carry on.

- Ancient Dragonmount Lurker Still Willing To Argue Asmodean's Demise. :)

Hmm here's my take.

A lot of people (me included) didn't particularly like TGS and ToM. Many of them (including me) found obvious holes.

Dragonmount and TL have a whole pile of fans who have been completely immersed in the WoTverse for decades.

Some of them were happy when they were asked for inputs as beta / gamma readers and put a great deal of time into providing those. 

They were then upset to varying degrees when their inputs were either ignored, or applied as band-aids without making TGS/ ToM perfect. 

Some of them would have been upset anyhow because of the change in tone and pace, just as somebody who loves a book might be upset at any cinematic adaption that doesn't fit his conceptualisation of how the book should have been adapted.

I'd say it was an interesting literary experiment in trying to complete a long and convoluted narrative set in a very complex universe. 

Net-net, yes it could have been better; maybe a whole lot better. But I'd take this outcome over being left hanging for eternity.

In response to the OP: Yes, don't blame the betas, especially not for characterisation.

I'd also like to add that obviously I'm pretty new here, but that between October and now the site feels much better, and their are far fewer discussions devolving into a RJ vs. BS argument and would like to say thanks, although this may not be the place to do it :)

I guess I'm one of the BS defenders on here, although I rank the tGS in the top half (but not top 3) and ToM low bottom half (although once I've finished my re-read that may all change). But I won't go into that here, as it's a better discussion for the other thread.

@Terez:

I will have to give this some serious thought. I'm not usually one for solo vacations, and I've no RL friends that read WoT, so this would definitely be a departure for me... But at the same time, I crave to talk to others who share my WoTMania, and it's been a while since I've been able to really "geek-out"....

Let me second the suggestion: you should go to JordanCon and geek out. It's a blast. And I'll be doing my best to make it Theory Discussion 24x7; I'm sure I can figure out a way to fit Theories into the Poker Tournament, Karaoke, and the Art Exhibit. Seriously, just do it.

I apologize in advance for the sidetracked reply...I have a hard time not chiming in when I notice JordanCon mentioned. Carry on.

- Ancient Dragonmount Lurker Still Willing To Argue Asmodean's Demise. :)

Let us all pause to hate Matt the insider for a moment because he already read the book. And just because it bugs him, let's read oodles into the fact that he thinks we can do 24/7 theory discussion at the first after-AMOL JordanCon (despite the fact that he's still willing to debate Asmodean...he just threw that in there to be safe).

I understand this is a discussion board for A Memory of Light, but when I come here in the mornings before work and during my lunch break I want to see theories discussed - not whatever this is. I even understand that some people need to have an outlet for their criticism, but when I came to this thread I thought that perhaps it had an interview with Brandon or something like that. Threads like these make me want to stop visiting the forums. Could we at least put tags on these threads so that readers like me who are happy with Brandon's work and consider the books he did to be some of the best in the series (far better in my opinion than Crown of Swords, Winters Heart, Path of Daggers, Crossroads of Twilight, and Knife of Dreams) do not have to have sour threads like these ruin their mornings?

I was banned for calling Luckers a Tosspot when I found his vitriol against the way the books had been completed too much to bear.

It's against code of conduct, which Luckers is (clearly) pretty evenhanded about enforcing.

I was banned for calling Luckers a Tosspot when I found his vitriol against the way the books had been completed too much to bear.

It's against code of conduct, which Luckers is (clearly) pretty evenhanded about enforcing.

He was banned for creating a thread about his long experience with me [that being the subject of the thread], in which the only word was 'TWAT', in capitals; not 'Tosspot'. That thread additionally was created after he was modded by me for being rude to another poster on an issue completely unrelated to the quality of Brandon's work.

Whatever positions I may hold and however negative the responses to them may have been, I have always obeyed the Code. I expect that my lack of response to some of the comments in this thread [not to mention others] should reflect this.

Donk's new account is also banned.

I've just gotten over it all. BS is a [Removed] with the skillset and capacity of a decently-talented high school kid. He was possibly one of the worst authors to pick for finishing this series and it was a gigantic mistake to choose him. Everyone understands that he was "the best option" back then, but hindsight is 20/20 and it is pretty clear he is a mistake now.

Reasons why he is a poor choice:

1) He honestly doesn't possess the literary talents to write this thing. He just flat out doesn't. Some of you may like his books and that's fine as quality of writing doesn't necessarily have to correlate with likeability, but he is one of the worst authors I've ever spent time reading. His writing reminds me of how I wrote in a creative writing class in school.  The problem is that the quality of his writing clashes too much with RJ's.  We needed an author who could at least write on the same level as Jordan; even if his style was significantly different.  What we have right now is a similar to a painting where a three year apprentice tried to finish the lifes work of a veteran master.  It is very clear where the master stopped and the apprentice began.

2) He doesn't care enough to get the little things right. Not one or two little things, but dozens of little things. Details that are important and VERY EASY to get right he somehow botches. He just doesn't care enough to do a quality job and this is the number one complaint. He just doesn't give a crap about details and being meticulous.  The result is a thread like this.

3) He is too young and inexperienced to complete the masterwork of an older and seasoned author. Not his fault here, just is a simple fact. Using humor as an example, his idea of witty humor is what we see on saturday morning cartoons. It entertains an entirely different crowd and clashes heavily with the rest of the series.  Instead of blunt and subtle writing we get beat over the head and are told in plain english what is going on and what the joke is.

Like I said before - when Sanderson made the decision not to try to imitate RJ's writing he should have bowed out of the project.  That statement right there is when he gave up trying to do it right and instead decided to write his own WoT books rather than finishing RJs.  He didn't need to try and become an RJ clone to finish the books; all he needed to do was try his best to match RJs writing.  The tone, the style, the big things, the small things.  I'm not talking about prose and diction, I'm talking about paying attention to the temperament of characters and scenes.  Noticing that Mat always says or acts a certain way and then just copying parts of it and twisting it for a new scene.  It never would have come out right, but it would have come out with the obvious sense that he tried hard.  What we have here is someone who didn't try very hard.  Anyone who read his Twitter and checked out his website while he was writing these things can get a clear picture of BS's writing process.  The guy literally sat down and pumped out massive chunks of writing in a day/night while spamming his Twitter about how he can't wait to open another pack of magic cards when he finishes.  It was like reading a bad joke.

Anyways, I gave up on all the hating.  He ruined the series, [Removed].  At least we get to read something and at least we get to read the original ending that RJ wrote.  And if what BS did to what I consider the greatest fantasy series of all time bothers you that much....just rest well knowing that he will certainly fade into obscurity and his career will slowly fade away.  He simply isn't good enough at what he does to keep getting published at the rate he is for long unless he really makes an effort to improve.

Just my two cents.

@Luckers:

I didn't say it in any previous posts, but I have had, and continue to have a great deal of respect for you Luckers.  For expressing your views, you have become a lightning rod in the WoT community, and yet have tried to remain civil and above much of the baser parts of the argument.  Could you have possibly handled the situation better at points?  Probably.  But the issues over Brandon Sanderson's writing of the WoT (quality, right of criticism, etc) where going to be there regardless of your actions.  It isn't like you expressed your views, and all of a sudden a bunch of people decided that they didn't quite like BS's handling of the WoT.  They were there, and had been there for awhile.  So had those who really love BS's WoT, along with those who feel it isn't right to criticize BS's WoT work.  This coupled with the HUGE anticipation for the FINAL LAST BOOK EVER OF THE WHEEL OF TIME, meant that a lot of this argument was inevitable.  You may have assassinated the Arch-Duke (a bit of stretch, I know), but you aren't responsible for the Great War that followed.

I just wanted to thank you for saying this. Especially: "Could you have possibly handled the situation better at points?  Probably." ... which is both true, yet kindly stated.

I don't want to debate your personal opinions, they're yours and I won't try to change them, but there are two things I'd like to bring up:

2) He doesn't care enough to get the little things right. Not one or two little things, but dozens of little things. Details that are important and VERY EASY to get right he somehow botches. He just doesn't care enough to do a quality job and this is the number one complaint. He just doesn't give a crap about details and being meticulous. The result is a thread like this.

I don't believe any author is capable of 'grasping' all the details of any world-building project that isn't their own, without spending lots of(!!!) time on it. 5 years isn't enough time for this, ask GRRM to write it and he'd probably want to spend 5 years making his own notes about the series before even beginning to write.

This is a series with over 2000(?) characters in it, 6 main characters (of whom most people only think he 'screwed up' 1, which is a matter of opinion - although a commonly held opinion - and this 1, has relatively little screen time), say 30 secondary characters of which he's 'screwed up' say 3 (and those are all matters of opinion, by no means universally shared) at least 4 cultures (1 major screw-up - with which I'm waiting to rafo, because I'm not convinced it is a screw-up), a few well-documented cases where somebody has used the wrong word. There are examples of things that are wrong, that really shouldn't be - the linking in Chapter 2 is 1 example, but generally these genuine errors are relatively few, most of the 'errors' are all to do with opinion.

Noticing that Mat always says or acts a certain way and then just copying parts of it and twisting it for a new scene.

So like he did with the disguises? The longest use of disguise is when Mat escapes Ebou Dar with his entourage and story of running away with Egeanin, with servants who know to much and... BS uses an example (from RJ text) of how Mat would act to plan a trip to find out whose trying to kill him.

I agree Mats character sounds off, although I can't quite define it, and I don't really plan on defending it. Probbaly the oft quoted 'lack of subtlety' in the writing, but (looked at objectively, ignoring the prose, subtlety, etc) the events themselves generally aren't out of character for Mat.

Not that it really matters, but my opinion places the books mid-way, when if RJ had written them they'd probably be challenging SR for number 1, but I'm not sure there's anything that any author (as any author has his/her own bias towards characters and events) could do to change this after RJ died.

I'm just curious, but why do grammar errors matter to so many people? I mean, who cares? This is a book! A story! Each book is over 1000 pages long, some errors will seep in! Just give the people the benefit of the doubt and stop being so hateful. We all need to just take a step back and realize this is a story. A good one yes, but a story. Just read and enjoy it. If you don't enjoy it stop reading. Pretty simple. But there is no need to fight eachother and be hurtful and say mean things. That is uncalled for.

Poor grammar can make understanding the intended meaning of the sentence harder. That might not cripple ones enjoyment, but it is hardly something to be encouraged nonetheless. Also, perfection is worth striving for. Not easy, but the results are worth it. Would you rather read a series, or a book, that was quite good, or one that was excellent? If Brandon could do better, then it would be a disappointment - surely we should ask for him to do as well as possible? It would be a terrible shame if he squandered his potential. A few grammar errors are not a major problem, but I would rather there was no problem at all.

lol, it has been three ever since those warning points became visible to us, I think. I don't remember what they're for. I think one of them was for a fight with finnss. (He probably got one too.) And I think one of them might have been for a fight with Ares?

Given that I only have one warning point, I think that perhaps the best way for you to avoid getting banned in future is to act more like me. Now there's advice I never thought I'd be giving.

The problem with this is, most of it is subjective. 

Prose is subjective.

Mat not sounding like Mat is subjective.

Cadsuane not sounding like Cadsuane is subjective.

Aviendha not saying Rand al Thor being a mistake is subjective.

It is impossible outside of an educational analysis of the writing itself to discuss whether or not BS did a good or bad job.

I don't want to debate your personal opinions, they're yours and I won't try to change them, but there are two things I'd like to bring up:

2) He doesn't care enough to get the little things right. Not one or two little things, but dozens of little things. Details that are important and VERY EASY to get right he somehow botches. He just doesn't care enough to do a quality job and this is the number one complaint. He just doesn't give a crap about details and being meticulous. The result is a thread like this.

I don't believe any author is capable of 'grasping' all the details of any world-building project that isn't their own, without spending lots of(!!!) time on it. 5 years isn't enough time for this, ask GRRM to write it and he'd probably want to spend 5 years making his own notes about the series before even beginning to write.

This is a series with over 2000(?) characters in it, 6 main characters (of whom most people only think he 'screwed up' 1, which is a matter of opinion - although a commonly held opinion - and this 1, has relatively little screen time), say 30 secondary characters of which he's 'screwed up' say 3 (and those are all matters of opinion, by no means universally shared) at least 4 cultures (1 major screw-up - with which I'm waiting to rafo, because I'm not convinced it is a screw-up), a few well-documented cases where somebody has used the wrong word. There are examples of things that are wrong, that really shouldn't be - the linking in Chapter 2 is 1 example, but generally these genuine errors are relatively few, most of the 'errors' are all to do with opinion.

Noticing that Mat always says or acts a certain way and then just copying parts of it and twisting it for a new scene.

So like he did with the disguises? The longest use of disguise is when Mat escapes Ebou Dar with his entourage and story of running away with Egeanin, with servants who know to much and... BS uses an example (from RJ text) of how Mat would act to plan a trip to find out whose trying to kill him.

I agree Mats character sounds off, although I can't quite define it, and I don't really plan on defending it. Probbaly the oft quoted 'lack of subtlety' in the writing, but (looked at objectively, ignoring the prose, subtlety, etc) the events themselves generally aren't out of character for Mat.

Not that it really matters, but my opinion places the books mid-way, when if RJ had written them they'd probably be challenging SR for number 1, but I'm not sure there's anything that any author (as any author has his/her own bias towards characters and events) could do to change this after RJ died.

I agree with you that the task was huge, but if he wasn't up to it then he should have said so.  Just because something is hard doesn't mean failure is acceptable.  And the details everyone talks about that he gets wrong...they're not hard to spot.  This isn't something where Nynaeve's dress is the wrong color.  Read the early/middle parts of the Brandon's work thread and you'll see some more detail about what bothers people.

The biggest issues I have are the additions he throws in.  With 1000's of pages of soure material and notes, why is he adding things like Dreadbane to it?  Why is he deciding that he wants Talmanes to be a clown now?  Why is he adding his own personal additions to the story instead of just completing what RJ wrote?  Those things along with some of the blatant errors really irritate me.  Things like Aviendha referring to Rand by his first name only in front of others.  To some people that might be a small example, but when I read that I cringed.  And guess what? I haven't read these books 10x each.  I'm not a super-fan expert like Terez.

I suppose one of the main reasons that I have no mercy on this guy is because I followed him on Twitter and checked his website as he was writing the books.  He very clearly pounded out some of these with little time being spent on meticulous detail.  He enjoyed being the guy that finished WoT more than he enjoyed finishing the story itself and he spent what felt like just as much time being that guy as he did making sure the books were right.  He would write other books during the same time periods as he was working on WoT, and he would literally spend all day spouting off crap about magic cards and how he cannot wait to open another pack as soon as he was done writing a chapter.  It just reeked of a total lack of focus and a total lack of desire to focus his attention on such a massive project.

Prose is subjective.

It is impossible outside of an educational analysis of the writing itself to discuss whether or not BS did a good or bad job.

Ya....you're wrong.  Some of it is subjective, but most of it can be backed up with objective reasoning.

Prose is subjective.

Brandon admitted that his prose is much weaker than Jordan's. Further as someone with a background in it I can assure you strong/weak prose is not entirely subjective.

One again this is an area in which Brandon flat out admitted he didn't get it right. Per the author he wrote the "him out of him".

Which has been applied to certain sections here at DM and it only served to highlight what many "feel in their gut". In addition we now have certain fantasy authors such as Bakker writing their work with it holding up to scrutiny usually only applied to "literary texts" in mind. While parts of TGS and ToM are done well they are very uneven and applying literary analysis only serves starkly highlight that point.

The good new is given Peter's statements Brandon has worked extremely hard on(as hard as any of his own books) and is very proud of the results with AMoL. Fingers crossed its Brandon's best of the three, if what we've heard is true it will be a special book as he is a talented author.

Disclaimer:

The views and opinions expressed in Mark D's posts are not necessarily the views of this website, its moderators, or rational critics of tGS and ToM. If you have comments or suggestions about his post please keep them here or to the thisguy thread. Better yet make use of the ignore button. ;)

Prose is subjective.

Brandon admitted that his prose is much weaker than Jordan's. Further as someone with a background in it I can assure you strong/weak prose is not entirely subjective.

What is entirely subjective, is whether or not the prose affects your enjoyment of the book.  Brandon's prose might be considered worse but it is good enough for me.  RJ's prose has nothing to do with why I love his books so much.  Quite frankly I am happy that BS did not try to mimick it, that would have been bad.

(Sorry, I can't get quote button to work)

Posted Today, 03:22 PM

I agree with you that the task was huge, but if he wasn't up to it then he should have said so. Just because something is hard doesn't mean failure is acceptable. And the details everyone talks about that he gets wrong...they're not hard to spot. This isn't something where Nynaeve's dress is the wrong color. Read the early/middle parts of the Brandon's work thread and you'll see some more detail about what bothers people.

I have read it and have argued several of the things brought up, ranging from characterisation to plot :) Some of the issues are big and really shouldn't have happened, I guess these (for me) make up less than 5% of the total book and I'm happy with that. If RJ had written them then it would have been <<<<<1%, but he was the only author capable of doing this, and I don't believe any other author would have done better in 5 years (although the prose may have been more mature)

The biggest issues I have are the additions he throws in. With 1000's of pages of soure material and notes, why is he adding things like Dreadbane to it? Why is he deciding that he wants Talmanes to be a clown now? Why is he adding his own personal additions to the story instead of just completing what RJ wrote? Those things along with some of the blatant errors really irritate me. Things like Aviendha referring to Rand by his first name only in front of others. To some people that might be a small example, but when I read that I cringed. And guess what? I haven't read these books 10x each. I'm not a super-fan expert like Terez.

As I understand it the outline only covered 50% of events that had to happen - the oft quoted example seems to be with Perrin, where I imagine the outline stated: Perrin goes from rescuing Faile to meeting Rand, and probably included meeting Galad. So everything that happened to Perrin was strictly speaking filler (on the outline), but a lot of it was (for me) necessary character building. At the end of KoD Perrin was the furthest, out of all the main characters, to being a genuine leader of men. It may be that RJ intended Perrin to be a 'weak link', but if not than his TAR training, the encounter with Galad and Galads rescue was needed. So if you accept that their are people like me that needed this 'filler' than where does the 'filler' stop?

I agree that Dreadbane doesn't sound hugely organic to the universe.

I always thought that Talmanes was funny, but primarily for his interaction with Mat, the lack of subtlety is a problem here (and he's 1 of the 3 secondary characters, common opinion says that he's 'screwed up', but this is a matter of opinion.

As for Avi calling Rand, Rand instead of Rand al Thor, the first example of this is in the scene where she and Elayne adopt each other as first sisters.

I suppose one of the biggest reasons that I have no mercy on this guy is because I followed him on Twitter and checked his website as he was writing the books. He very clearly pounded out some of these with little time being spent on meticulous detail. He enjoyed being the guy that finished WoT more than he enjoyed finishing the story itself and he spent what felt like just as much time being that guy as he did making sure the books were right. He would write other books during the same time periods as he was working on WoT, and he would literally spend all day spouting off crap about magic cards and how he cannot wait to open another pack as soon as he was done writing a chapter. It just reeked of a total lack of focus and a total lack of desire to focus his attention on such a massive project.

Can't comment on this as I don't know BS personally, or follow him on Twitter.

lol @ Suttree trying to make sure I dont speak for the entire forum because Brandons made comments about how DM has become a Brandon bashing forum lately.

Quick comment to BFG:  I actually think Brandon did a great job overall with Perrin.  Definitely the highlight of his contribution to the series and I have little to complain about in those sections.  As for Talmanes...i dont know, I'm actually interested in taking some time to reread some RJ Talmanes parts again because I never got the impression he was funny whatsoever.  One of the things that annoys me the most about BS writing is his dialogue.  It is often times so...fake and corny sounding.  It jumps out and reminds me that I am very clearly reading a make believe story written by some guy sitting in a room on a laptop.

@BFG

Forgot to say this this yesterday but thank you for mentioning in recent months people have been doing a good job in largely keeping the critique to the thisguy thread. I can assure you a good deal of work went into that. I've been very surprised actually to see people commenting that it derails everything when that hasn't been happening in quite some time. Thank you for being another voice of reason. You've been a very solid addition to the community.

@meeker

That is true and I would never suggest otherwise but personnel preference says little about the quality of work. Case in point look how many people enjoy Stephanie Meyer. In addition no one said anything about imitating RJ's prose. Why would Brandon need to do that in order for his own to be strong?

In addition no one said anything about imitating RJ's prose.

Mark did. :tongue:

I actually did not!  I kind of implied that but then said I wasn't talking about prose or diction.  I was more or less talking about trying to write the story in the same tone and from the same perspective as RJ.  Trying to portray the scenes from the same vantage point and showing what happens in a familar light.  Rather than just saying "cant do that, I'm writing this my way."

Though I do think that BS and RJ have very similar writing styles honestly.  BS is just much less polished than RJ.  If BS had decided to put some serious effort into matching RJ's prose I think the only outcome would have been that his own personal writing would end up becoming much improved for this book and all future works of his.  I'm far from an expert on prose though so thats just purely my opinion.

A simplified example of what I'm talking about that I feel wasn't done:

BS decides that the next scene needs to be of Mat walking into a tavern.  Simple scene, and simple to write.  So what does Brandon do?  He goes through his head and figures out how he would like Mat to walk into the tavern.  Uses all of his creativity on it and writes what he considers a great scene.  He is proud of it and thinks it fits Mat well.

What should have been done IMO?  Brandon should have gone through the last several thousand pages of writing and found an instance where Mat walked into a tavern or where Mat walked into a new and unfamiliar area.  He should then have used those scenes as the foundation for the scene he was writing and modified it to fit his new scene.  Even grabbing portions of text verbatim from RJ's writing wouldnt be a bad idea considering the length of this series and the amount of phrases and words that have already been reused.  We would end up with writing that has a familiar feel to it, but with some new flares.  Instead we are left with something entirely new and lacking any familiar feeling at all because half the time it looks like it belongs in another book.

Brandon could have used that same type of methodology throughout the entire book to finish it.  Instead, he just sat down and wrote it his way.  That's where I feel he messed up.

Prose is subjective.

Ya....you're wrong.  Some of it is subjective, but most of it can be backed up with objective reasoning.

@MarkD Like what?

@Suttree

Just because one author does not feel his/her prose is not as polished as anothers, does not mean that I won't.

Just because BS feels that he didn't get Mat right, doesn't mean that I think that.

We can do this all day.  This is something that cannot be argued, not on a forum anyway. 

I started reading Bakker and Cormac MCCarthy per guidance you suggested to someone else.  While Bakker's writing was fine I thought the story was terrible and did not finish.  I could not imagine anyone finding Cormac McCarthy at all enoyable to read, horrible.

Here is the kicker.  I think that The Sword of Truth Series was and is awesome and Mistborn is amazing. Everything in life is subjective.

You cannot argue BS vs RJ. It is rediculous.

@Suttree - surprised me as well, that people still view it as a problem, but maybe they're reading the older posts *shrugs*

@MarkD - I can't remember who (Sutt has reposted it a few times) on the BS thread posted a rewritten exerpt of dialogue from Chapter 1 (or possibly the Prologue) and I agree that it rings truer.

Archived