DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Are you doing a re-read?

putts

Started rereading in September but because of school and sports has been slower reading than I'd like. Just finished the crown of swords. I can't wait to get to the Knife of dreams and beyond, those were the best books I think. Its amazing that I still get the excited feelings from his books.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished tDR and on to tSR. Uncanny how much of "The Dragon Reborn" has no PoV of the Dragon Reborn.

Through it, I found myself liking Perrin, Mat and Faile more and more. Egwene less. Nynaeve and Elayne still the same. I find Thom's actions/behaviors in the book to be really odd. He seems to be so easily picked up and drifted along without really adding anything to it. Have Mat kill the assassins by himself and Thom is really not needed at all ... which is sad, as he's one of my favorite characters in tEotW, pretty much disappears through the next 2 books and then is technically on screen a lot in tDR but basically does nothing.

My summary of it by character:

Rand - getting more hardcore and more distant. By the end of the book it feels like he's on the verge of insanity already

Mat - becomes quite badass. This is the first he actually starts doing any fighting ... and he does it well. Possibly too well considering such a lack of training. He also comes into "his luck" and so we see a lot more "Gambling Mat" .. which is always fun.

Perrin - getting glimpses that he needs the link to the wolves in order to do what he must and is becoming the only character that is still staying fairly true to his initial persona

Nynaeve - getting slightly better to stomach. Trying to be less of the "boss" and more goal-oriented as opposed to just being always pissed off

Elayne - starts seeing some backbone from her toward the end (slapping Egwene when she's acting like a nit) ... but that's pretty much it. She's still "Egwene and Nynaeve's friend" at this point and not much else.

Egwene - ugh. The maturation phase where she has to balk at everything Nynaeve says and is just really really annoying to read ... which we find ourselves doing more and more.

Moiraine/Lan - gives us a sense of urgency/fright which wasn't there much in first 2 books.

Faile - fun contrast to Moiraine and makes Perrin more interesting

All-in-all, outside of Rand's conquering Tear, it's a book chock full of character building for Mat, Perrin and the Powerpuff Girls (Nyn, Eg, Elayne) ... in that order.

One oddity that really struck me ... the hedgehog was designed to capture Moraine but caught Faile instead. Once into the dream to free her, so much of the symbolism is tied to Falcons. Why? Why would whoever design it use Falcons? If it's because it trapped Faile and took on her persona ... well, outside of the name, we don't see that she thinks of herself as a Falcon. The whole thing just seems too plot-driven. Not a big deal, but just seemed awkward as I read it.

I would like to propose a motion to formally rename the Supergirls as the Powerpuff girls.

All say Aye...

I think their's a quote somewhere about RJ finding it difficult to write Rands descent at the time of DR. The few bits we see of him work really well though.

+1 to Putts and to BFG and to muddasssir for I agree with the Powerpuff Girls nickname.

Last night, I finished CoT and today I will start KoD with my WOT re-read in anticipation of the final novel, A Memory of Light.

I finished rereading a few months ago, made me feel like I was new to everything again. Shadow Rising is by far the best book in the series, you have to love the Aiel and Mat in it. I think I am going to stat listening to the books as I go to work though, I want to go through them again before AMoL.

Ever since I discovered WoT it has been one re-read after another. But I did map it out so that I would finish my latest re-read in December.

I 're-read' via audio books which takes some time to get through. I plan on listening to EotW again too!

I have really enjoyed the Sanderson novels, but I do not think continuity is his buzzword, so I don't think another reread is truly necessary. I have read all the books at least three times, I must have read Eye of the World a dozen times now.

In any case, these books have been coming out a fair clip, thus it's not totally necessary to refresh your memory, and I have been following Leigh's reread on ToR since the beginning.

Reading through tSR right now ... just got done with one of most mysterious chapters in the whole series. The one where we see Mat go into the twisted doorframe and then find out that Rand and Moiraine went as well but never hear what they asked. Love the chapter.

One thing I noticed (and I'm sure others have but I've never seen it talked about) ... the Snakes seem to view someone's future the same way Min does. Has there ever been discussion with what that could mean? It could just be that she happens to have the same ability, without the certainty of interpretation they have, but it still interests me.

I have started my Re-Read now. I started last week and have just finished EoTW.

I started reading the Wheel of Time in 1996 so got all the way up to Crown of Swords before I had to wait.

I have since re-read them every time a new book comes out.

I tend to read quite quickly and miss bits so there is always something that clicks each time.

Can't wait for the 8th January (already booked time of work) but will be so sad when it ends!!

I just started reading EotW again. The pain!!!! 12 more books after this... craziness. Not a chance in hell I'll catch up in time, so when AMoL comes out the reread is going out the window. That being said I should probably reread ToM at least. Took me a long time to read book 13, and I didnt notice a lot of things I should have.

I keep changing my mind on where I should start on the pre-AMoL reread. I want to start from LoC but I never get far when I begin there. So I thought maybe I should start with KoD, as I think it makes a nice prologue to the mammoth that would have been the real last book. But then Ive missed out on all the best bits!

Reading through tSR right now ... just got done with one of most mysterious chapters in the whole series. The one where we see Mat go into the twisted doorframe and then find out that Rand and Moiraine went as well but never hear what they asked. Love the chapter.

One thing I noticed (and I'm sure others have but I've never seen it talked about) ... the Snakes seem to view someone's future the same way Min does. Has there ever been discussion with what that could mean? It could just be that she happens to have the same ability, without the certainty of interpretation they have, but it still interests me.

I just started my reread, and that's one of my favorite scenes also. I think I remember RJ in an interview or at a signing saying that Min's viewings and the Finn's answers use a different mechanism. That they operate according to a different principle.

I finished Knife of Dreams today, and I will be starting The Gathering Storm tomorrow.

After AMOL comes out, I will read that book at least twice in a row, maybe three times. I have been waiting to read the last book for 20 years and I want to fully and completely immerse myself into every page of what I am expecting to be a masterpiece.

A little confession ... I've started just skipping chapters that solely feature the Powerpuff Girls and don't hardly reference Rand, Mat or Perrin.

So far, I've yet to read a chapter and have to fill in any plot holes I seemingly skipped. :D

I;m halfway through Crown of Swords now, but this is my 5th re-read of the first eleven books and I've read the other two at least 2-3 times. I'm going to start skimming through chunks especially in the books 7, 8 and 9. I think I'll (just about) be ready for aMoL but if not ToM is still pretty fresh in my mind.

Archived