DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Age of Legends

mwayneknight

Factory produced weapons, power plants, engineers...what the heck?

This line of thought makes no sense.

Bottom line, I'm an experienced channeller from the Age of Legends. I'm charged with killing the Dragon and releasing the DO. Those are the only two missions that count and I don't give a shit about anyone other than myself.

I don't care if the weapons used in battle are of the one power, guns, swords, or bare hands. Lives mean nothing. You are focusing on tactics - the Forsaken are focused on strategy.

The Forsaken, at least how they think in their arrogance, are 'In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King'. They have no need for weapons from the AoL.

Also, in the AoL, there was the network of "standing weaves", that presumably functioned like an electrical grid, but of the OP, both Saidin and Saidar. Without this, getting an energy intensive production line like weapons production to work is unlikely to happen, even if you knew how to operate a factory. The Forsaken would have to know all the steps in the production and infrastructure line to start making these weapons again, not just knowledge of the weapons.

We know that during the age of legends they had weapons like we have today (shocklances and so fourth), these forsaken should have knowledge of this, and also they were pretty smart, so i assume they also have the knowledge to make these if they take the time to do it. What if that is one of the forsakens job that we do not kknow about, (like demendred or even moridin).

Just a thought, just kinda makes sense that they would have this knowledge.

Very soon into the war of power most of the infrastructure to make that technology was gone. Even if they have the knowledge you still need the tools and facilities which no longer exist. It would be like a modern scientist dropped back into the middle ages.

An educated man of science would not be able to turn the 12th century into the 20th within his lifetime, but he could advance their weapons technology and military tactics fantastically in rather short order.

An educated man of science would not be able to turn the 12th century into the 20th within his lifetime, but he could advance their weapons technology and military tactics fantastically in rather short order.

i wouldn't call myself educated, but even i'd still be able to give advice on very basic things. for examplle, washing hands and bathing regularly to stop infection, use of the greek humours system is bullshit, the philosophers stone doesn't exist, the formula for gunpowder, etc. etc.And if I had time to research on the internet before hand....

We know that during the age of legends they had weapons like we have today (shocklances and so fourth), these forsaken should have knowledge of this, and also they were pretty smart, so i assume they also have the knowledge to make these if they take the time to do it. What if that is one of the forsakens job that we do not kknow about, (like demendred or even moridin).

Just a thought, just kinda makes sense that they would have this knowledge.

Very soon into the war of power most of the infrastructure to make that technology was gone. Even if they have the knowledge you still need the tools and facilities which no longer exist. It would be like a modern scientist dropped back into the middle ages.

You can debate what someone could do all you want. Was just passing along the reason RJ gave for someone like Aginor's talents being wasted in the current age.

You can debate what someone could do all you want. Was just passing along the reason RJ gave for someone like Aginor's talents being wasted in the current age.

We can see from Egwene and the Wonder Girls, as well Perrin's Asha'man, how easy it is to make certain items of power, Ter'angreal and Cuendilar, without a vast industrial base.

Surely the Forsaken would be able to do much more than what these savages stumbled upon while blindly groping along?

Edit: Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if the bad guys have been busy in just this way off screen. I expect they'll be pulling a lot out of their sleeve in the final book.

i wouldn't call myself educated, but even i'd still be able to give advice on very basic things. for examplle, washing hands and bathing regularly to stop infection, use of the greek humours system is bullshit, the philosophers stone doesn't exist, the formula for gunpowder, etc. etc.And if I had time to research on the internet before hand....

No google, no textbook, no asking your Uncle Earl....How would you make gunpowder from scratch. How would you perfect the metallurgical formula to create steel of quality to not blow up if you did invest gun powder. Go. If you are a chemist by chance, well shit....

We can see from Egwene and the Wonder Girls, as well Perrin's Asha'man, how easy it is to make certain items of power, Ter'angreal and Cuendilar, without a vast industrial base.

Surely the Forsaken would be able to do much more than what these savages stumbled upon while blindly groping along?

Edit: Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if the bad guys have been busy in just this way off screen. I expect they'll be pulling a lot out of their sleeve in the final book.

Items of power maybe but RJ said even a few years into the war of power people were more likely to ride horses and use swords than have a jo-cart or shocklance.They had ceased to be able to manufacture them. If they couldn't do it then they most certainly can't now. in addition to Aginor is not able to come up with any new creations. As for terangreal that could be a possibility although we have had nary hint of it, guess we will see in AMoL.

No google, no textbook, no asking your Uncle Earl....How would you make gunpowder from scratch. How would you perfect the metallurgical formula to create steel of quality to not blow up if you did invest gun powder. Go. If you are a chemist by chance, well shit....

Any child who has any sort of interest in the sciences knows basic explosives... a little critical thinking along with experimentation.. ;)

(I am a chem major, however. I could do a lot of damage ;))

I didn't say 'd be able to make gunpowder from scratch. I said I know the formula. salt peter [potassium nitrate] has been known since ancient egypt. sulphur [or brimstone] has also been known since ancient times. and everyone knows what charcoal is. I'd have to do some experimentation with the ratios. But that doesn't mean that gunpowder isn't a bloody simple formula.

Also, when did I say I knew how to refine steel.. I said "give advice on very basic things," I didn't say I'd be able to make a gun.Basic things to me are random tips like "grooves in the barrel works similarly to fletching on an arrow" or a very rough sketch of a flintlock [please note the words rough and sketch, I may know roughly how flintlocks work, I didn't say I'd be able to make one.]

Obviously I'd prefer to do research first.But it isn't completely nessesary.

•  

Some things, such as ter'angreal, require Talents. If the Chosen lack the required Talents, then they will be unable to make ter'angreal, etc.

Also, when did I say I knew how to refine steel.. I said "give advice on very basic things," I didn't say I'd be able to make a gun.Basic things to me are random tips like "grooves in the barrel works similarly to fletching on an arrow" or a very rough sketch of a flintlock [please note the words rough and sketch, I may know roughly how flintlocks work, I didn't say I'd be able to make one.]

Obviously I'd prefer to do research first.But it isn't completely nessesary.

actually rifling is a very fine tuned detail, that if done wrong could either render the weapon ineffective or into a bomb. Also I would be scared to use a flintlock pistol anyone who did not know about them in detail thought to draw up. And in both cases the metalurgy in WoT world isn't at a high enough standard to really be able to produce many operating guns, in fact it is barely good enough for cannons

actually rifling is a very fine tuned detail, that if done wrong could either render the weapon ineffective or into a bomb. Also I would be scared to use a flintlock pistol anyone who did not know about them in detail thought to draw up. And in both cases the metalurgy in WoT world isn't at a high enough standard to really be able to produce many operating guns, in fact it is barely good enough for cannons

when did i say otherwise?

Archived