DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moiraine's Letter to Rand

Darksmoon

She knew he was already suspicious of Alviarin, and by telling him that he should be careful even around Verin, whom he considered more trustworthy than most, she's basically saying 'any Aes Sedai'.

That being said, I'm sure she had her suspicions of Verin, especially due to finding out about her apparent lie back in TGH.

As far as Verin goes - when the hunt for the horn begins she joins soon after and says Moiraine sent her. If I remember right, Moiraine says she didn't send her. Unless there's a way to make what Verin said not a lie (but AS manipulation of words) this may have tipped Moiraine off all on its own about Verin.

She did:

"Moiraine Sedai sent me, Lord Ingtar," Verin announced with a satisfied smile.

"I did not send Verin." Moiraine frowned.

But Moiraine never heard her say so, only reports of what was said; they could hardly have remembered Verin's exact wording, so Moiraine would've had no way of confirming the lie. That doesn't mean she shouldn't have been suspicious, though.

She did:

"Moiraine Sedai sent me, Lord Ingtar," Verin announced with a satisfied smile.

"I did not send Verin." Moiraine frowned.

But Moiraine never heard her say so, only reports of what was said; they could hardly have remembered Verin's exact wording, so Moiraine would've had no way of confirming the lie. That doesn't mean she shouldn't have been suspicious, though.

I agree. But, she's a smart woman. She knows that Rand and Perrin (if not Mat) are about as trustworthy as a guy gets at that point. As you said, at the very least, she must have been a bit suspicious at that point.

If Moiraine knew they were Black Ajah she would have done something about it. I suspect she had no idea, just didn't trust them at all, and they are Aes Sedai anyway, you know you cant trust an Aes Sedais words unless they flat out stated something without any twisting. There may have been a small suspicion of Verin doing something shady since Verin should not have been involved at all though.

In Moiraine's letter to Rand she specifically tells him to be wary of Verin and Alviarin.

Does she know they are black ajah? Seems like she must suspect something to mentioned them both by name. Of course she does tell him not to trust any Aes Sedai.

I am thinking that when she went to Rhudiean Moiraine saw a lot of things in the Columns as well as learned a lot of information from her questions in Tear from the Finns. It has been very obvious such as her letters to Rand and to Thom that she had known of certain events to the action, enough to bring the stone door frame ter'angreal from Rhuidean, to have it at the wagon, to lead Rand to the docks to "show" him something. I also honestly think she had hints from her test for accepted that maybe she didn't know what they meant until after she traveled to the Two Rivers and met Rand. She was always fairly sure of Rand, Mat, and Perrin before really asking about them from the folk in Emonds Field when she gave the three the coin. Could be their apparent age as close to what she was looking for, could have been something else.

She kinda guessed that Alviarin was up to no good because of the 2 letters that Rand got, so knew she was either Black or simply a vicious backstabber who wanted Rand to help take the Amirlyn Seat.

She trusted Verrin 'with more than her life' I thank the quote was.

I think she just used them to emphasize her point

In Moiraine's letter to Rand she specifically tells him to be wary of Verin and Alviarin.

Does she know they are black ajah? Seems like she must suspect something to mentioned them both by name. Of course she does tell him not to trust any Aes Sedai.

I am thinking that when she went to Rhudiean Moiraine saw a lot of things in the Columns as well as learned a lot of information from her questions in Tear from the Finns. It has been very obvious such as her letters to Rand and to Thom that she had known of certain events to the action, enough to bring the stone door frame ter'angreal from Rhuidean, to have it at the wagon, to lead Rand to the docks to "show" him something. I also honestly think she had hints from her test for accepted that maybe she didn't know what they meant until after she traveled to the Two Rivers and met Rand. She was always fairly sure of Rand, Mat, and Perrin before really asking about them from the folk in Emonds Field when she gave the three the coin. Could be their apparent age as close to what she was looking for, could have been something else.

Moiraine did not go through the columns in Rhuidean.

They prob were thinking of the three arches...

Probably, that is why i pointed it out. Though since we have Rand's POV of the columns and not Moir's POV of the rings, i have seen some readers make the same mistake Rand did when assuming Avi went through the columns during that trip.

Yah, a bit confusing, guys do the columns and the wise-ones do the arches, even more likely to be similar to what is used for the Accepted Test. And then there is Min and her viewings I forgot about. With all the visions, fortellings, prophecy, Min's viewings, the Finns and their three answers, as well as the various archers and those visions, Moiraine has a lot of pieces to the puzzle. I'd imagine about 1/4 of the pieces to a 1000 piece puzzle, just enough to get a glimpse of the big picture. However I seem to recall that Moiraine came across in Thom's letter as if she had seen their failure to rescue her time and again, enough to know that only Mat, Thom, and one other had the slightest chance, then again it might have been told to her by the Finns as they seemed to lay out Mat's destiny for him too when he pressed them.

Archived