DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sa'angreal stronger than callandor

mma1027

Anyone ever consider that if LTT wore the ring of Tamyrlin, the chances are he was wearing it when he died and it's probably buried under Dragonmount and thus, unlikely to be found? I suppose he could've taken it off before that, but I don't know why he would.

As for the OP, yes I just finished re-reading the section where Lanfear tells Rand "there are only two sa'angreal more powerful then Callandor that a man can use." One is the male halfe of the choden'kal and we don't know about the other.

Whilst its never been mentioned out-right I reckon Rand was Tamerlyn in his previous life - it does make some sort of sense that he is forever bound with being the prophet of the next age. If he did indeed create it... or had the ring created for him it would stand to reason it would be bound to male side of things rather than the female... even if women *did* wear it, being the first of the servants doesn't mean they wore the ring as far as I know - the quote sounds like they could have been two different things.

Whilst its never been mentioned out-right I reckon Rand was Tamerlyn in his previous life - it does make some sort of sense that he is forever bound with being the prophet of the next age. If he did indeed create it... or had the ring created for him it would stand to reason it would be bound to male side of things rather than the female... even if women *did* wear it, being the first of the servants doesn't mean they wore the ring as far as I know - the quote sounds like they could have been two different things.

Isn't Tamyrlin the same as Amyrlin (changed by time)? I think I'm missing something. I always had for certain that LTT had been Amyrlin/Tamyrlin, isn't it said in tEotW prologue? (Not Ravens, the other).

Isn't Tamyrlin the same as Amyrlin (changed by time)? I think I'm missing something. I always had for certain that LTT had been Amyrlin/Tamyrlin, isn't it said in tEotW prologue? (Not Ravens, the other).

It wasn't a title but the "Ring of Tamrylin" was worn by the leader of the AS and is thought to be named for the first person who could channel.

Edit: Hadn't read the post but I can't see boli's speculation being correct. In addition there are many different roles within the pattern and nothing to say the dragon soul was Tamrylin.

It wasn't a title but the "Ring of Tamrylin" was worn by the leader of the AS and is thought to be named for the first person who could channel.

I was aware of that, just checking if I was terribly wrong about something. Sorry,it's just that something about the way that post was written made me doubt don't know why ¿? xD

EDIT: And thanks for the confirmation.

It was only unreachable in Tel'aran'rhiod, though.

yeah, but if you want to find something, that you have no idea where in the world it is...

morridin would have atleast investigated something so significant to aiel culture, he wouldn't have needed to know what he might find there.

It was only unreachable in Tel'aran'rhiod, though.

yeah, but if you want to find something, that you have no idea where in the world it is...

morridin would have atleast investigated something so significant to aiel culture, he wouldn't have needed to know what he might find there.

I don't know, seems like it wouldn't be all that hard to believe Ishamael HAD overlooked the Aiel considering what they were in his time. Also consider Rhuidean was never mentioned to wetlanders. Even the White Tower knew nothing of it. If the White Tower did know about Rhuidean they would've long since gone there and collected all those artifacts. Rhuidean was a very closely guarded secret, so likely all Ishamael knew of the Aiel was that they were now savage barbarians since that's all the rest of Randland knew. He didn't have any reason to even suspect they had a massive store of items of power in the middle of the Waste.

I suppose he could've suspected since the Aiel did serve the Aes Sedai in the Age of Legends, but given how much they had changed it doesn't stretch reason to believe he would never have thought to look for something like that in the Waste.

there are df aiel, we may have only seen on onscreen, but i find it unlikely that she was alone (remember the girl who tried to kill mat?) maybe she was just under compulsion, but from the start she seemed to be trying to corrupt mat.

you have to realized these guys are pretty new to this world, they were not free to roam it until the first book (it would seem) then when they are free they go after the eye of the world, eventually Asmodean did find out about rhiudean and try to go check it out (apparently at his first free moment to do so) ...

On a side note to earlier posts:

I do not believe the stone ring ter'angreal could be the Ring of the Tamyrlin.

"Old Silvie" who I think was probably Lanfear or another of the Forsaken, took the ring from around Egwene's throat in TAR. If that ring was as important as the "Ring of the Tamyrlin", don't you think they would have commented on it, or made a play for it at a later time? Also, I believe there is a time when we get a PoV of a Forsaken after watching Egwene meet with either Nynaeve or Elayne in TAR when they were using the original stone ring. That Forsaken mentions that one of them was using a ter'angreal that was used in aiding the learning of TAR. The way they talked about it makes it seem unlikely that the stone ring was anything special in the AoL.

I really have no idea about the second more powerful sa'angreal that "a man may use", and not "made for a man". I have wondered, though, if there are sa'angreal for the True Power, and if that second one more powerful than Callandor is one such. If so, then I'd say there is a good chance Moridin's got it. But really not enough evidence or hints IMO to have anything more than wild speculation in this area.

On a side note to earlier posts:

I do not believe the stone ring ter'angreal could be the Ring of the Tamyrlin.

"Old Silvie" who I think was probably Lanfear or another of the Forsaken, took the ring from around Egwene's throat in TAR. If that ring was as important as the "Ring of the Tamyrlin", don't you think they would have commented on it, or made a play for it at a later time?

It was only important as a symbol, and then only in the Age of Legends. It means nothing now, and Lanfear is a Dreamwalker so she has no need of it.

Also, I believe there is a time when we get a PoV of a Forsaken after watching Egwene meet with either Nynaeve or Elayne in TAR when they were using the original stone ring. That Forsaken mentions that one of them was using a ter'angreal that was used in aiding the learning of TAR.

It was Demandred spying on Elayne, and she was using a copy, what Demandred called a 'minor' ter'angreal. He knew she was using a 'minor' one because she was misty.

Fair enough on the Demandred example.

Do we actually know that the ring was only important as a symbol? To me, I kind of thought we didn't have enough evidence to tell one way or the other, but I could easily have missed some evidence of this. If not, then the first example of "Old Silvie" may still be valid. Personally, I tend to think that the Ring of Tamyrlin will play no role in the events of the story. It gets a few honorable mentions, but nothing to link it to any events of the current timeline.

There was a glossary entry about it, and that's the most info we're given. We do know it was a symbol of office, and it stands to reason it was an object of power. But there's nothing to suggest it was a particularly special object of power. However, we do know that the stone ring is harder to make than the 'minor' ter'angreal; all of Elayne's successful copies of the ring ended up as 'minor' ones, actually; they don't work as well as the original, even though they don't require channeling.

Archived