DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Seanchan Ogier

dazparra

Will the Seanchan Ogier be able to show the Seanchan prophecies are incorrect?? it is a lot less generations for the Ogier since the prophecies were made and they seem like a likely candidate to correct the flawed Seanchan prophecies

any thoughts?

The are completely dedicated to the crystal throne for some reason, I don't think they will be speaking against it any time soon.

they wouldnt be speaking against the throne, they would speak against the book of prophecies. I think that this is where the ogier speaking abilities may come into play against other ogier to help turn the empresses mind in terms of the prophecies

Do we know anything about the Seanchan Ogiers? Their memories could be short and that do not tell stories like the Mainland Ogiers

They might be Ogier but they are a totally different personality....Seanchan are willing to fight as they are in the Deathwatch Guards and judging by only Hartha short talkers compared with Mainland Ogiers we know are relucant to fight and long talkers.

Also the Seanchan Ogier either do not need a Stedding or can be apart from one for a very longtime...do they have long lives??? and do they have a shorter life then Mainland Ogiers due to effects of the Longing.

Also don't the Seanchan Prophecies mention the Throne...if yes then the Ogiers would be in effect talking against the throne

RJ said that Seanchan Ogier aren't subject to the longing because the stedding there were more plentiful and never lost during the breaking.

Week 3 Question

How do the Seanchan Ogier cope with the Longing, given that their duties in the Deathwatch Guard take them overseas? Are there many stedding in Seanchan?

Robert Jordan

There are many more stedding in Seanchan than there are in the part of the world where the story is taking place, and that is why the Seanchan Ogier don't suffer from the Longing. Because there are so many more stedding, they were able to find them more easily even during the Breaking and therefore never had the very extended separation that Ogier on this side of the Aryth Ocean had, though they seldom were able to settle in one for very long until the Breaking ended.

Cheers BenevolentCow

Confirms that their are diiferent personality triats in them

I wonder if they know or even have a Book of Translation themselves??

oh I wonder if there is Ogier in Shara or any others part of this world????

I really really hope the Randland Ogier will meet the Gardeners and beat them down. No talking, no finding out what's what, no discussing any prophecies or anything logical like that. Just flying fists the size of hams. It doesn't even have to be during some massive fight scene. We just see some Gardener waltzing down the street then bam! Beat down. I realize there's about a 0.005% chance this will happen though. It's just a little blob of hope I hold on to.

If that did happen, the Gardeners would win. I mean it would be like having Two Rivers Rand run into Karede and expecting him to win.

What I'd prefer--and am kinda hoping to see--is if the Randland Ogier and the Seanchan come into conflict, and they turn to the Garderners expecting their aid, only to find the Garderners siding with the Randland Ogier. Obviously, as per the Book of Translation, the Ogier have some ancient secrets...

I really want to learn more about the Garderners, and what their deal with the Empire is. A scene between Ogier from each side of the ocean will prove... interesting.

I would pay decent money to see this scene happen.

I don't know if it would. First of all, I don't think that they ahve, they have set them themselves too far apart and are probably seen as enemies. Remember, just because they are the same type of people does not mean that they like each other . all Aiel don't like each other and so on. I think that they would hate what the seanchean Ogier have become in all those years. These Ogier do not fight that often and are a way more peaceful version of Ogier than the gardeners (don't even know why they are called that).

Also, we don't have that much information on how the book works. Does it take away everyone that is present, all Ogier, or just the Ogier who retain their same ideal of thinking. because the Gardeners don't even have to be in stedding any longer, they may not even be the same type of Ogier.

because the Gardeners don't even have to be in stedding any longer, they may not even be the same type of Ogier.

That isn't entirely correct. There were far more stedding in Seanchan so they just never suffered the longing.

Interview: Jan 25th, 2005

TOR Questions of the Week Part II (Verbatim)

Week 3 Question

How do the Seanchan Ogier cope with the Longing, given that their duties in the Deathwatch Guard take them overseas? Are there many stedding in Seanchan?

Robert Jordan

There are many more stedding in Seanchan than there are in the part of the world where the story is taking place, and that is why the Seanchan Ogier don't suffer from the Longing. Because there are so many more stedding, they were able to find them more easily even during the Breaking and therefore never had the very extended separation that Ogier on this side of the Aryth Ocean had, though they seldom were able to settle in one for very long until the Breaking ended.

I think the Ogier must have been effected by the Crystal Throne a long time ago and one of their ancestors must have made an oath that the Ogier and their ancestors would serve the ruler of Seanchan in perpetuity. It's the only explanation I can see for the Ogier to ally themselves with the Crystal Throne and be so loyal. They will never break an oath and are thus honor bound to serve so long as there is a Crystal Throne to serve.

I think the Ogier must have been effected by the Crystal Throne a long time ago and one of their ancestors must have made an oath that the Ogier and their ancestors would serve the ruler of Seanchan in perpetuity. It's the only explanation I can see for the Ogier to ally themselves with the Crystal Throne and be so loyal. They will never break an oath and are thus honor bound to serve so long as there is a Crystal Throne to serve.

That is my thought as well:)

That is my thought as well:)

to the throne or to the empress? That could be a very important distinction now

because the Gardeners don't even have to be in stedding any longer, they may not even be the same type of Ogier.

That isn't entirely correct. There were far more stedding in Seanchan so they just never suffered the longing.

Interview: Jan 25th, 2005

TOR Questions of the Week Part II (Verbatim)

Week 3 Question

Robert Jordan

It would be interesting if some of the Gardeners suddenly showed the effects of the longing. How would they deal with it? I am certain the mainlaind Ogier would tell them and help in any way. We have seen very little of the Ogier in combat- I want to see the Gardeners beat someone down. Might some of the ogier know a lot more about Artur Hawkwing and randland right before the descendants of Hawkwing left? Or are they all native to Seanchan with no knowledge of the other side of the ocean.

pretty sure they would be native to seanchan because the sail across the ocean would take quite a few months

That depends on how advanced the ships are, it took the Mayflower ~2 months to cross the atlantic in 1620 and new ships got faster by ~2 days every decade after that (17 days in 1824). I don't think the journey took longer than 2-3 months in Hawkwings time. The seanchean Ogiers are natives but not because the ships would have taken to long for them to survive.

pretty sure they would be native to seanchan because the sail across the ocean would take quite a few months

That depends on how advanced the ships are, it took the Mayflower ~2 months to cross the atlantic in 1620 and new ships got faster by ~2 days every decade after that (17 days in 1824). I don't think the journey took longer than 2-3 months in Hawkwings time. The seanchean Ogiers are natives but not because the ships would have taken to long for them to survive.

The Ways?

The Ways?

Possibly but if Ogier could travel between continents by using the Ways they would know a lot more about each other than we have seen thus far.

Archived