• Mat Swordspear
    • Mat One-Eye
    • The Lord/Prince of Luck
    • The Gambler
    • Other (Give example)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Mat one of the heros reborn already I can't recall if this is mentioned or not

I like the sound of diceroller

Not in the past lives, no, or he would be bound to the horn like the other heros. I think Mat is more like the COL, where he, and Perrin also, are souls that are reborn for specific purposes,

Is Mat one of the heros reborn already I can't recall if this is mentioned or not

Not in the past lives, no, or he would be bound to the horn like the other heros. I think Mat is more like the COL, where he, and Perrin also, are souls that are reborn for specific purposes,

Well, Rand is both the COL and a hero of the horn. The other heroes clearly recognize him when the horn is blown at the end of tGH. They didn't say anything about Mat and Perrin, but they could become bound after their death, as the wheel sometimes adds new souls to their number.

Well, Rand is both the COL and a hero of the horn. The other heroes clearly recognize him when the horn is blown at the end of tGH. They didn't say anything about Mat and Perrin, but they could become bound after their death, as the wheel sometimes adds new souls to their number.

In my Dutch Edition both Mat and Perrin get named with a capital Hornsounder & Bannerman (my translation). Unfortunately both are at the start of sentences, so it's not conclusive, but it might be their way of saying something about them. Maybe those 2 are really always there when the Horn is sounded, too.

As, myths and legends go, he could very well end split in 3 different persons in the far future. Something along the line of "The tale of the three brothers and Jak o' the Shadows"

In the Story the brothers earn the titles Son of Battle, Lord of Luck and Prince of the Ravens based on their dominant traits (Strength, Luck, Cleverness)

The Heros recognize him because their sole duty as heros of the horn is to follow the dragon, for the shadow or the light. That does not make him a hero of the horn.

Guest Tharkûn

The Heros recognize him because their sole duty as heros of the horn is to follow the dragon, for the shadow or the light. That does not make him a hero of the horn.

The fact that they are not recognized does not exclude the plausibility that they are. Right now they do what they have to do, what is right etc, unless they have pried a bit out of prophecy etc. (ei. Mat and Tuon). IF they are HotH, telling them would have done them no or little good, as people around them, and themselves would to some degree compare themselves to the myths and legends.

Personally I don't think they are HotH (yet at least), but the fact that they are not recognized does not exclude that they are. Rand knows because he has to know.

It could simply be a matter that the heros knew it was not yet time for them to know their true nature, while Rand must know and accept it. We do not know enough about their references to know if they would greet someone they knew under normal circumstances by their previous name, or at all.

As for his name, everything the Finn's called him fits. I think it really will come down to what manner he is most remembered for, which he has a lot of things to be remembered for.

In the last book, the Andorans have started calling him "the Raven Prince," so that's my bet. He isn't widely known as the husband of the Empress yet, but he's bound to be famous for it in the future.

"Son of battles" and "the Trickster" are pretty good bets too.

I go for Son of Battles or The Trickster.....

The Raven Prince is also a really good bet to me, but may carry a bit of luggage due to its Seanchen/Dark One connections to stick, at least in the current age.

All of the titles that seem to stick in my mind refer to a promethean character, the bringer of fire, or in this case firearms and technology. Mat is a great foci for a Loki/Prometheus type archetype, and will probably get stuck with that type of name

I go for Son of Battles or The Trickster.....

The Raven Prince is also a really good bet to me, but may carry a bit of luggage due to its Seanchen/Dark One connections to stick, at least in the current age.

All of the titles that seem to stick in my mind refer to a promethean character, the bringer of fire, or in this case firearms and technology. Mat is a great foci for a Loki/Prometheus type archetype, and will probably get stuck with that type of name

I think it is pretty much established that Mat has some heavy Odin affiliations. The spear, hat, ravens, the hanging, the missing eye, warfare and his reputation as trickster.

I had assumed it would always be Mat Cauthon. Or just Mat. Everyone would know who we meant when we referred to Mat.

I had assumed that originally Bridgette Silverbow's original real name was Bridgette Silverbow, and being spun out took whatever last name was the name of her father when she was spun out. But first name always Brigette.

I assumed her lover Gailal Cain's original real name was Gaidal Cain.

Now I know Arthur Hawking's real name was I thing Arthur Luthiar Paendrag or some such, but when he was at the height of his power everyone called him Arthur Hawking.

Rand's name will still be LTT. Lews Therirnon Tellamon (yea I know I butchered the spelling). That's what Arthur Hawking calls him in the Great Hunt when Mat blows the Horn.

My vote wold be for Mat Cauthon to be his hero name. Seems to me the hero's keep their given first original names and I'm not convinced Mat is Aemon. Sure there's coincidental evidence and similarities to that and theoryland has a theory on all that, but that does not make it true.

IMHO Mat Cauthon's hero name will be Mat Cauthon. People will refer to him as that. He's made a name for himself that's without arguement, and Mat Cauthon is his name. Of course people will also call Bloody Mat Cauthon, Mat Bloody Cauthon, the Lord of Luck, the Prince of Ravens, the Raven Prince, the One Eyed Fox, the One Who Claimed the Bloody MaidenFlower of the Daughter of the Nine Moons etc.

But the bottom line is he earned the right to be a bloody Hero of the Horn with his own name. He will be remembered as Mat Cauthon. Or just Mat. And name any of the given names above and everyone in Randland will know who you are referring too.

There is no starting point in the wheel of time, so there is no original name of the heros and they are just called by the name of their last reincarnation or at least the last incarnation which left a big impression in the world. And the name itselfe, outside of T'a'R, is subject to change as time goes on and stories become myths and legends.

If he could make a past as well as a present, there could be a point where a world was formed but that still has history. There are lots of justifications for things like this in philosophy and theology, just because something doesn't make sense at first glance doesn't mean someone can't make up a reason for it to be true.

In this life, Mat's title seems to be heading towards .... "Prince of the Ravens." The rest of his life is foreshadowed to be under this title, especially with the previously planned outriggers in Seanchan.

But the title he holds over all his lives is probably the one given by the Aelfinn: Son of Battles, Trickster, gambler (yeah, one title).

Archived