34 members have voted

1. 1. What will Mat's "Hero Name" be?

• Mat Blackspear
    • Mat Swordspear
    • Mat One-Eye
    • The Lord/Prince of Luck
    • The Gambler
    • Other (Give example)

It's a sure bet that Rand will be remembered simply as the Dragon Reborn and his true name could be forgotten. Perrin will be remember as Perrin Goldeneyes, and maybe the "Lord of Wolves", or some other name based on wolves, but what about Mat?

A hero name can be based on a weapon or physical trait, such as Silverbow or Goldeneyes, so Mat could be named for hisashandarei, perhaps being called Blackspear or Swordspear, or he could be named for his missing eye, being called One-Eye. He could also the Prince/Lord of Luck, or the Gambler, or somethng else like that.

What do you guys think. Do you have any ideas?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the Seanchan title Prince of Ravens of will catch on certainly has a ring too it.

I like the Prince/Lord of Luck too

Good topics tonight man their the only thing keeping me awake on the graveyard shift so thanks :)

Maybe the Seanchan title Prince of Ravens of will catch on certainly has a ring too it.

I like the Prince/Lord of Luck too

Good topics tonight man their the only thing keeping me awake on the graveyard shift so thanks :)

Prince of Ravens is what I based Prince of Luck on.

Well, really, I'd think Hornsounder and Prince of Ravens would be fitting.

Hornsounder because, presumably, it's his most obvious role during Tarmon Gaidon. And Prince of Ravens would be cool in that he'd usurp a title (not just the Prince of Ravens, but THE Prince of Ravens that makes the title seem stupid for any later Princes).

Alternatively, Martrim One-Eye or Blackspear seem fitting in the vein of Birgitte. But I'd go with The Prince of Ravens,

I think the point from Drekka is he is called Son of Battles by the Aelfinn and Eelfinn, who know something of the past and future. It is not just a random title. Son of Battles fits perfectly with Mat.

I think that if the Finns call him that, it's a done deal. They recognised him for who is and what he is and called him just that way.

There can be more than one name for a single person. Im sure Perrin will be referred to as Goldeneyes as well as Wolf King (as in the prophecies), as for Mat, the raven on his spear, as well as his title, suggest Prince of Ravens, His luck lends itself to Lord of Luck, and the Son of Battles has been explained well enough. It all depends on the context he is being remebered in. Soldiers may pray to the lord of luck, generals to the son of battles, and Prince of Ravens may be a curse. Is there any Irony in the title Prince of Ravens? Ravens being servants of the DO, and Mat being one of the leaders of the light?

I have a few I came up with.

Matrim Hawkeye

Matrim Ravenhawk

Matrim Ravenfox

Matrim "the Fox" Cauthon

Matrim the Ravenous(Fits perfect because he is ravenous and you can't spell it without Raven)

There can be more than one name for a single person. Im sure Perrin will be referred to as Goldeneyes as well as Wolf King (as in the prophecies), as for Mat, the raven on his spear, as well as his title, suggest Prince of Ravens, His luck lends itself to Lord of Luck, and the Son of Battles has been explained well enough. It all depends on the context he is being remebered in. Soldiers may pray to the lord of luck, generals to the son of battles, and Prince of Ravens may be a curse. Is there any Irony in the title Prince of Ravens? Ravens being servants of the DO, and Mat being one of the leaders of the light?

I believe Seanchan society has been set up by Ishamael. Female channelers bound, to keep the White Tower busy. And a symbol like the Ravens that symbolize the Dark One. He might not have done it all, but probably gave just the right pushes.

I suppose it would depend. if a seanchan call him Prince of Ravens it will be a title of endearment, since Ravens are idolized by them. In the Westlands, it will be a curse murse likely, like the Dragon's Fang.

Son of Battles.

i like that one

It fits his role as Hornsounder more than any of his others. Mat Cauthon, Son of Battles, called the Trickster by some...

it brings out his battle knowledge from the finns really well

Son of battles is a nice name but it's unlikely to spread through human society unless Thom decides to write an epic song about it.

Just three living people know he's been called that. Mat's unlikely to talk about it, Moiraine wasn't conscious.

Is Mat one of the heros reborn already I can't recall if this is mentioned or not

It's a theory.

That Mat is Aemon reborn and that he is a Hero of the Horn.

Whether half, all or none of that is true is up for debate.

What is not up for debate is that Mat has a very strong connection to Aemon and that, based on what the Finns call him, he has been spun out into the pattern many times before to play a similar role to the one he is now currently playing.

Archived