DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How to become a Great Captain

Actually Mat's theory is that he has the memories of men who met the Finns = could be tear/ rhuidean/ toghenjei. He also has a historical timeline of when the memories start and end.

I remember him stating this theory, but cannot remember the book or chapter

I always wondered about that, why would the Finn's have access to so many great commanders to harvest memories from. It seems to me that they would harvest from those that interested them, perhaps through TAR.

in an RJ quote its because the generals where the adventuring type, thus more likely to enter

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Birgette says at some point, that the ToG used to be a much more well known thing.

As far as Mat's memories ending with the rise of Hawkwing, I would almost be willing to bet that that was when the Aelfinn Redstone Doorway became much more restricted after coming into the possession of Mayene and then later given to Tear and stored away.

Do you guys know how to become a Great Captain? Because every person in the series seems to all agree on the 5 great captains, nobody ever complains that one doesnt belong there. So is it something like getting a heron marked blade and you have to be voted or were they just the best generals in the Aiel War. Or are there always 5 Great Captains in this land and everytime one dies someone else needs to take thier place.

What do you guys think?

I think it's a,lot like being a blademaster. You have to be recognized as one.

We can only hope that killing one would make you a Great Captain. Maybe taking procession of the baton of command or something.

Well, killing a blademaster has nothing to do with it. You just need to prove your skill. Only the Whitecloaks "Duel Under the Light" or whatever it's called involved death. You just need to defeat a blademaster in single combat in order to become one, not kill him.

We can only hope that killing one would make you a Great Captain. Maybe taking procession of the baton of command or something.

Well, killing a blademaster has nothing to do with it. You just need to prove your skill. Only the Whitecloaks "Duel Under the Light" or whatever it's called involved death. You just need to defeat a blademaster in single combat in order to become one, not kill him.

Doesn't that usually lead to death? It's not like they are fencing in the Olympics here.

How did Tam get his sword? He said something about the price paid was not worth the reward. Which probably meant that he killed the blademaster to get it.

Also if you got the title just by beating a blademaster in single combat without killing him. Then the guy who struck Rand in the court yard in Cairhein with the practice sword would have beaten Rand in single combat and would have the title.

if memory serves, Rand started that fight against six others; maybe five. He took down all but one and the sixth hit him as he finished the fifth one off. So no, he doesn't get to claim he is a blademaster. He does get paid, because Rand was offering money for anyone who could strike him in combat, regardless of whether it was one on one or not.

And as Rand never really claimed the title for himself (his defeat of the Seanchan blademaster being almost entirely unknown outside of Rand and the other four he was with at the time) it's a moot point anyway. At least, he wasn't claiming to be at the time referenced in that story. You can't claim to be a blademaster just by defeating someone who didn't claim to be a blademaster, especially when it wasn't single combat.

Yep, doesn't have to be killing.

Yep, doesn't have to be killing.

Either defeat a blademaster in single combat or be approved unanimously by five blademaster judges.

Didn't Lan say something to Rand that he might as well use the title? Something on the lines of all you need is people to say you are and you will be.

Lan said he was basically a blademaster.

the whole thing about people saying you are something so are (in terms of titles) is a overriding theme of the series

There is a big difference between a blademaster and a Great Captain. People can call anyone a great captain; but if he hasn't won battles and wars at unfavorable odds, and distinguished himself in the battle field, then he isn't despite what people say.

There is a big difference between a blademaster and a Great Captain. People can call anyone a great captain; but if he hasn't won battles and wars at unfavorable odds, and distinguished himself in the battle field, then he isn't despite what people say.

just like if people called me a blademaster I wouldn't be. But your perception of a person (good or ill) will colour your vision towards them. Like if you heard I was a great fighter and kicked everyone's buttocks then you would be more respectful on that side (most likely) even if its not true

just like if people called me a blademaster I wouldn't be. But your perception of a person (good or ill) will colour your vision towards them. Like if you heard I was a great fighter and kicked everyone's buttocks then you would be more respectful on that side (most likely) even if its not true

If someone carried Bashere's baton or if all of Andor claimed that Gawyn is a Great Captain, neither makes that person a Great Captain. Rand became a blademaster after killing Turak. Does winning one battle make one a Great Captain?

Archived