DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who is likely to betray the Shadow in AMoL?

Edynol

Yep! We got one for the light, so here's one for the Shadow. And I believe we may very well some dark-siders jump ship to the Light.

The top on my list, and most others, I think, is Cyndane. But aside from her, I think Moridin could possibly do so as well. Now while I think it is his merging with LT, some people think this new, philisophical Rand is because of his link with Mori. So if this is in fact the case, why shouldn't Mori be effected likewise? Like maybe gaining Rand's insight and hope for a better future?

Who are yall's picks?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pull a Snape? I haven't seen the latest HP movie, but I don't spoilers. Does he betray Voldy?

On topic, that would be awesome because in the beginning, Taim was one of my favorite characters. Now, not so much. lol. I also wonder if Liandrin might betray the Shadow since she's gotten nothing but hardship and grief from siding with them.

Pull a Snape? I haven't seen the latest HP movie, but I don't spoilers. Does he betray Voldy?

On topic, that would be awesome because in the beginning, Taim was one of my favorite characters. Now, not so much. lol. I also wonder if Liandrin might betray the Shadow since she's gotten nothing but hardship and grief from siding with them.

Taim is one of my faves too dude, I sometimes wonder whether I have this feeling because I want him to be one of the good guys so much, lol

With regards to Snape, the revelation is my fave moment in the HP books, I literally had tears in my eyes when I read it so I really don't want to spoil it too much for you other than to say, yes, Snape was definitely working for the good guys dude :D

Sweet. lol. I think Faile will turn out to be a darkfriend but betray the shadow. I don't know why, I ain't got nothing to really base it on, but I always had a feeling she was a darkfriend working to get close to one of the Ta'veren, but then legitimately fell in lve with Perrin. lol.

Cyndane is the number one candidate for redemption through death among the high profile followers of the DO. In particular because she was the one who drilled the Bore so she is the one most likely to hold the answer of how to seal it again.

Yeah, like I said, almost everyone believes Cyndane will.

Ermmm maybe spend so time looking around here and Theoryland. Saying "everyone" is a gross overstatement. I wouldn't even say it is particularly popular. Not to say it cant happen but her character traits would certainly argue against it unless there some huge benefit for her. She most certainly would be betray the shadow for the lights benefit.

Yeah re-read. I said almost everyone, not everyone. And from what I have read both here and there, the majority seems to think it likely, as is being proven in this thread. So try to stay on topic. This isn't a debate on symantics.

Yeah re-read. I said almost everyone, not everyone. And from what I have read both here and there, the majority seems to think it likely, as is being proven in this thread. So try to stay on topic. This isn't a debate on symantics.

Mate spend some time looking around. That's all im saying. No need to get eggy, wasn't trying to knock anything. Sorry if it came across that way.

Where some have one motive for serving the DO, Cyndane has two. The most powerful of her motives is that of a jealous, domineering woman spurned by her lover. Demandred is more likely to overcome his hate for Rand than Cyndane overcoming LTT's spurning her, not once, but twice!

i would very much like to see a few DF's or Chosen desert the side of the shadow and return to the light.

however i doubt very much that this will happen, as Demandred and Grendeal are too self-serving and desire too much for their own power .

i thought Semirhage had been considering abandoning the shadow, after she started to question the dark ones actions and the possibility that all the chosen were to be sacrificed in a false attack on Rand.

No chosen will desert to the light, and i don't think any DF's will either...

am looking forward to a fast paced last book, full of action, battles, betrayals, and one power duals.

bring on the last book.

Any of the Forsaken, Moridin aside, will have more than enough reason to betray the Shadow if they actually find out what the DO is going to do. In fact, anyone DF would.

Now first I will say that it is unlikely that any of the Forsaken will turn BACK to the Light, they would all certainly betray the Shadow in the right circumstances.

Demandred isn't that self serving, in fact he is one of the more faithful Chosen (which doesn't say that much really). All he wants is Rand's head, and screw everything else. He plots against Moridin less so than all of the rest, according to Brandon.

But even so, the fact that Graendal or any other is self-seriving makes them MORE likely to betray the DO. Once the pattern starts to fully unravel and crap starts to get really crazy, if they realise that the DO is going to destroy the Pattern, and them with it, they would betray him.

There is case for all of the Forsaken remaining. Good cases too.

Moridin: As mentioned already, his link with Rand may have changed him some post VoG. If not, his whole reason for turning was logic, if someone can convince him that the DO's victory is not inevitable, or that it is worth living anyway, like Rand did, he would betray the DO.

Lanfear: Already mentioned, she has a possibly valid case against the DO, torturing her and all. Plus, she has never been the most faithful servant of the Shadow anyway, she is a servant of power. If a power is stronger than the Shadow, she will bail from the Shadow-ship.

Demandred: He was never really that bad, I mean, they are all bad, but he is one of the better ones. Not like Semirhage, who just liked hurting people. He was, IIRC, the last one to turn to the Shadow, out of all of the Forsaken, besides perhaps Sammael, I can't remember who turned first. Anyway, he turned mainly because of LTT. He thought that defeat was inevitable, but mainly he wants to kill LTT. We have much textual evidence to support him betraying the DO. Mesaana thinks that, if not for LTT, Demandred might not even be here (one of the Forsaken). Graendal later thinks something similar, that if not for LTT, Demandred had a shot at being the "Dragon" himself. (that is, the title leader, not the actual Dragon soul) Demandred does not enjoy war, even though he is good at it. (WH PoV) And he has said that all he wants is LTT dead by his hands, and has threatened to kill anyone who tries to do it themselves. He does not wish to use Balefire for the DO, and tries to get out of it.

If the DO does not let Demandred kill Rand, he will be pretty pissed. And if he DOES kill Rand, which is possible, he could think "that was pretty pointless, what a waste of time!"

Graendal: She has done more good than harm. Rand should give her a medal instead of a death warrant. She is the most selfish of those left, and she has just been punished by Shaidar Haran. She will not be happy about it at all. Once things become unprofitable for her, she will bail. She was just about to betray the DO anyway. She was thinking of escaping to a Mirror World, where the DO would not be able to find her easily. Plus, her reasons for turning to the Shadow seem the most pointless. She doesn't have a good reason to be faithful to the Shadow, not like the others.

Moggy: What wouldn't she betray? She is the spider, a coward. She is mindtrapped by Moridin, so she has reason to hate the Shadow for her punishment. First chance she gets, she would betray the Shadow in a second if she thought she was in danger, or if it saved her life. If the DO's defeat looks possible, she would betray him.

Moridin: As mentioned already, his link with Rand may have changed him some post VoG. If not, his whole reason for turning was logic, if someone can convince him that the DO's victory is not inevitable, or that it is worth living anyway, like Rand did, he would betray the DO.

Bingo!

Only Moridin's whole purpose isn't about living. Above all other reasons, it has been about ending the cycle that he's aware of being in for thousands and thousands of years.

If Rand can convince him that there is a way to break that cycle without the DO winning, he will jump at it imo.

Also, Lanfear seems like the one with the least reason now to serve the DO, she served for power, but now she is getting tortured with no power at all. This is a good indicator that she will join the light.

Also, Lanfear seems like the one with the least reason now to serve the DO, she served for power, but now she is getting tortured with no power at all. This is a good indicator that she will join the light.

Turning against the DO in attempt to gain more personnel power or escape(assuming it isn't a trap for Rand) is not quite the same as joining the light. Her character flaws have been spelled out quite clearly in text and by the author. She might make a play to save her own skin in some manner, but there is little to no evidence that she would return to the light. I

Archived