DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

breaking the seals

RandA lThor

I think at the FoM Meet and Greet Rand will knock the AS authority down a few pegs.

And something else i can picture, although I doubt it would in the the book is some like this:

Egwene, with a seating arrangement similar to when she met the noble on the frozen lake in PoD (I forget what the fan name for it was), makes her speech about why Rand must not break the seals. Then Rand starts his speech about why they're wrong. The AS are not listening as they move about the benches whispering to each other including Egwene. Rand stops, makes a loud throat clearing noise and starts again, louder. Finally he breaks out laughing.

Egwene: And what, Rand al"Thor, do you find so humorous? (Thinking he finally cracked)

Rand: It's a joke I heard from a Thunder Walker once. I just got it.

Egwene: And what might this joke be?

Rand: Why do Maidens use handtalk? Because even when they're not talking they can't stop talking!

Then Mat, Lord Bashere, and the Aiel start roaring with laughter, the Maidens laughing loudest of all with Nyneave off to the side trying, and failing to keep composure. Egwene understood the punchline and glares at Rand while the other AS, because they know so little of Aiel culture, look confused.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please no bad Aiel jokes. The only jokes less funny are Rand's Two Rivers jokes which are so bad not even Aiel can laugh about them.

On topic

I think Mat is pretty much up to date. Olver is playing Snakes and Foxes probably daily and the first time he manages to win it is right before the Trollocs attack. So Mat must have managed to break out of the TOG this very day or perhaps the day before. Any discrepancy in the timeline can be easily explained by Mat having been several days within the TOG. Afterall we already know that time can pass differently in the realm of the Finn.

Instead I think there's a lot of Rand we could see to fill the gap. The month between VOG and FOM is pretty much empty right now. He spend a day on Arad Doman, another one on Maradon and a third on the Borderlanders. That still leaves twenty five days in which he's been jetting around the world and we know he hasn't been idle in them. Aside from marrying and knocking Aviendha up he has to have done something.

I think that the prologue will begin with a PoV from a soldier from Andor, probably someone from Jarid Sarand's camp. :tongue:

Black Tower won't feature in the prologue, but it will be in the first 10 or so chapters. It will start of like ToM, with a chapter from FoM, then change between BT and Aviendha for the first few chapters to catch up. Both of the threads won't be resolved, but caught up, then we will go back to FoM for the real thing to start.

The Seals won't even be up for discussion. He will talk about other things first, like the bonded AS, (not yet the Dragon's peace, that will come later). Egwene will try and make him discuss it, but either one of these things will happen.

1. Seals are already basically gone, and there is no debate.

2. Perrin will break them via Hammer.

3. Rand already breaks them that morning.

4. The Shadow have some of the Seals, so it is pointless anyway.

5. Rand just refuses.

Crap will get all tense and everything looks ready to explode into a brawl when news of Caemlyn's destruction and the Seanchan attack on the Tower, and everyone will get side-tracked.

Rand will go to the Tower with Mat and Egwene, Elayne and Perrin will go to Caemlyn.

Rand, Mat and Egwene get a truce out of Tuon, with Rand as the Dragon with Justice. Mat as the Prince of Ravens and Egwene as Amyrlin, they will have everyone they need for dealing with Tuon.

Tuon accepts at least a temporary truce, and Mat leads the Ever Victorious Army to save Caemlyn.

That sounds nice, but I feel that the prologue will go over all the major things that are happening with at least a short overview. I think that it will encompass FoM, caemlyn, BT, WT, Lan, and so on.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't think we'll see a quick resolution of the Seals issue at all. The most important reason for this is Egwene's Dream where she, and a bunch of women including a Seanchan woman end up confronting Rand about something. There are only two bones of contention between Egwene and Rand at the moment: One is his idea of breaking the Seals. The second is possibly the Dragon's Peace. But while I certainly expect a lot of women to confront Rand on the Dragon's Peace, I don't expect a Seanchan woman to be one of them.

Thus, I think the final resoultion of the Seals issue will have to wait till Egwene and the Seanchan have reached a truce (and its clear its going to be Egwene, given all the Foreshadowings, Dreams, etc.).

Essentially, I think the initial meeting is going to be derailed anyway. Rand will anounce his "demands" to immense furore. The news of Caemlyn, of the BT (via Naeff, Androl and Pevara, who will meet up and escape the BT disguised, obviously), of the Seanchan attack on the WT, Lan's charge at Tarwin's Gap, will all come at one go. The grand coalition of armies at the FoM will split to deal with these threats. It may well be that Mat will arrive just in time to be named its Supreme Commander, and we'll definitely see a hilarious scene where Mat b!tches about having to direct four battles at once, that its just his luck, etc. etc. I think the BT attack will be planned, but put off for a while. The Aes Sedai-Seanchan truce will come about the quickest, and Caemlynn will go down the worse, with most of the city leveled. I even suspect the Dreamspike may be moved the Caemlynn, or moved so it affects Caemlynn too. The evil faction of the BT will probably take the bonded wives of the Asha'man as hostages, and I think much of the early battle for the BT will happen in TAR, lead by Perrin, the wolves, and once the WT issues are sorted, Egwene.

Once there's some calm, only then will the Seals be discussed. It will threaten to go the LTT-LPD way again, but in the end, the Egwene and Rand will reach a compromise (this time its different, they were raised better, raised together, raised to love one and other, etc.).

Is there anything Egwene WON'T do? She seems to be doing everything according to you. :tongue:

But really, Rand doesn't care about what Egwene thinks. He doesn't care about a compromise. It was an excuse to get her to gather the armies for him, while he does what he needs. The seals are a non-issue. Unless somebody physically prevents him from leaving, he won't bother. They may talk about it, but there is no need for compromise.

But really, Rand doesn't care about what Egwene thinks. He doesn't care about a compromise. It was an excuse to get her to gather the armies for him, while he does what he needs. The seals are a non-issue. Unless somebody physically prevents him from leaving, he won't bother. They may talk about it, but there is no need for compromise.

Rand said they would discuss it at the FoM, not sure why he would go back on his word. If Min has found a way to seal the bore I think Rand lays out a rational course and Egwene goes along. Don't think it will be a huge showdown or compromise as Rand has made it clear his mind is made up.

I think that the new rand cares about Egwene, but not enough to let her bargain with hi about this. Another reason he may have brought the nations together is so he could explain to them why he is breaking the seals, so everyone doesn't go all crazy on him. He needs to explain to egwene and all the world's leaders what he is trying to do.

Egwene brokering peace between Seanchan and Westlands? It is basically impossible.

She hates Seanchan nearly as much as the Shadow. She won't try and treat with them when they have attacked the White Tower. Her reaction to the raid was evidence enough.

Tuon will simply not listen to her, nor any Aes Sedai. We have seen this enough already. Rand and/or Mat are essential. They are the only two people she would be willing to listen to. The Dragon Reborn, and her husband.

Egwene will have a role to play in it, of course. But she will be most reluctant. It will hardly be resolved quickly. She can't abandon her hatred that easily, nor should she. It will be convincing her its a good idea that will be the main difficulty.

Just in case - as it is common 'nowdays. This is not Egwene bashing. It is simply based on logic, and evidence from what has gone before.

The dreams she has of Seanchan are: A Seanchan woman saving her. A seanchan woman with a Sword handing her the a'dam.

Now, the one about them confronting Rand together, that is interesting. If it is the matter of the Seals, which is possible - it could also be the truce. Neither of them want it, and both with confront him. - it could get interesting.

The only compromise I can see is that Rand will delay the breaking of the Seals. Perhaps Egwene wants it delayed so she can find another way. Which is fair enough.

Tuon, I don't think, is qualified enough on the subject though. Unless something in the Essanik cycle directly touches on the Seals, she doesn't really know anything. She didn't even know of the existence of Trollocs.

There will be no compromise on actually breaking them, short of restraint. And there would be no reason to compromise, unless, again, physical restraint, or refusal to fight TG. Both of which would be incredibly stupid, and I have a higher opinion of both women. They would do no such thing.

And Egwene brokering peace between Seanchan and Westlands? It is basically impossible...

She hates Seanchan nearly as much as the Shadow. She won't try and treat with them when they have attacked the White Tower. Her reaction to the raid was evidence enough.

What are your thoughts on this on the dream mentioned above and the other where the Seanchan woman catches her on the cliff? There obviously is going to be some sort of connection.

I edited it a bit.

But more specifically. I don't deny her connection. She will need to be involved. They are attacking the Tower. And she will need to comply with a treaty.

But she will not be the one to offer, nor will Tuon. The Seanchan have come for war, and she will oblige. Now I am not one for complaining about her character development, but her suddenly getting over her fear and hatred and actually making a truce, without any outside help would make it extremely unrealistic. She has a right to her hatred, nobody would be able to control that to that extent, Amyrlin or no.

The Seanchan woman in the dream is likely ol' Shipless, who is currently in the White Tower, and we know her history and affections towards Aes Sedai. She also could be the woman handing her the a'dam. Egwene knows the secret, yes, but why would any Seanchan listen to a marath'damane? Old Shipless, however, along with the two former sul'dam would be irrefutable proof. Tuon has no reason to help her, she knows the secret, and is perfectly fine with it.

Is there anything Egwene WON'T do? She seems to be doing everything according to you. :tongue:

Well, to me that's like asking if there's anything Rand won't do! After him, Egwene is the character with her fingers in the most number of pies. There's reason to belive she'll be involved in the BT, there's evidence she'll be involved with the Seanchan, there's foreshadowing she'll play a role in Rand's "death"/resurrection, she's obviously involved in FOM, and there's more than enough in the books pointing to her and Rand having to work together, and forming a new unified Aes Sedai of men and women... She's Yin to Rand's Yang. Exactly why shouldn't she be involved in everything?

Look at what Brandon has said too: Egwene has as many PoVs as Rand, Mat and Perrin. These four form the four central through-lines of aMoL. Brandon was surprised how many chapters he ended up needing for Egwene, and how complex it was to write out her story. More than 1/3rd of aMoL will be battles.

Taken together, this argues for a humungous role for Egwene. And unlike Mat and Perrin, who have fairly definied roles and streamlined spheres of influence, Egwene does not, same as Rand. Add into this mix the likely huge role Tel'aran'rhiod will play in the end game, and I think a lot of people are going to end up surprised how central Egwene's role is. We're too used to her working on the Aes Sedai exclusively. But clues have been placed all around that that won't last. Like she says, clearing up the AS mess was cleaning one floor tile. She has no intention of stopping till the entire floor is swept clean.

And you think that attitude is going to gel well? Rand just doesn't care. He'll just do what he wants... doesn't that sound too close to the insane Rand of tGS to you?

And yes Egwene can hold him up. Not that I'm a 100% sure this will happen, but she could basically pull a Latra Pose on him and prevent all women from supporting his "Break the Seals" plan. There's no reason to assume Moiraine will blindly support Rand's plan (we're all forgetting that while she was all for the Dragon Rebron, she wasn't above questioning his moves, and opposing them when she felt there was reason to, exactly what Egwene is doing). And Nynaeve will support Rand, in the end, but will she be so supportive of the Seals plan if Egwene reveals her Dream, or some bit of research comes out pointing to the Seals needing to be intact till the last minute? What if she delves him again and now is able to find Rand's link to Moridin/Shai'tan? Will she be able to fully support a plan that, after all, does help the Shadow?

There's too many complicating factors here to assume this is all going to end cleanly in Rand's favor. The themes are certainly not set that way.

But she will not be the one to offer, nor will Tuon. The Seanchan have come for war, and she will oblige. Now I am not one for complaining about her character development, but her suddenly getting over her fear and hatred and actually making a truce, without any outside help would make it extremely unrealistic. She has a right to her hatred, nobody would be able to control that to that extent, Amyrlin or no.

I actually think it would be the perfect end to her character that she rises above her (legitimate) personal prejudices and asks for a truce. Notice that Egwene has done much the same before. Where she could have carried on with her "war on Elaida" strategy and divided the Tower further, she realized that no matter how strong her hatred of Elaida, the important thing was keeping the Tower whole for humanity.

And the seed of Egwene's change has already been placed in ToM:

She felt a shiver, remembering her own time with the Seanchan, captive as a damane. She loathed them with a hatred that sometimes worried her.

And Egwene's Dream of a Seanchan woman with a sword who says they can reach the top together... I really don't think Egeanin fits that. Egwene is going to have no problems working with Egeanin. I think her violent removal from that Dream is a sign. She's not going to like the Seanchan woman who she has to work with. But she's going to have to swallow that bitter pill for the sake of the victory of the Light.

And given her alliance with the WO and the SF, she stands pretty much the best chance of convincing other female channelers to agree to the truce. Rand will play a part to be sure. He'll probably be the first to suggest the idea. But his idea of peace with the Seanchan will be meaningless unless the White Tower, the Wise Ones and the Sea Folk agree, and they're the greatest stumbling block, since they all have their members captive in the hands of the Seanchan.

Well, to me that's like asking if there's anything Rand won't do! After him, Egwene is the character with her fingers in the most number of pies. There's reason to belive she'll be involved in the BT, there's evidence she'll be involved with the Seanchan, there's foreshadowing she'll play a role in Rand's "death"/resurrection, she's obviously involved in FOM, and there's more than enough in the books pointing to her and Rand having to work together, and forming a new unified Aes Sedai of men and women... She's Yin to Rand's Yang. Exactly why shouldn't she be involved in everything?

Since when did Egwene have anything to do with Rand's death/ressurection? Alivia is the one who is going to help him die and Egwene isn't very likely to be one of the three women in a boat and the two women who'll be linked to him are pretty much confirmed to be Nyneave and Moiraine. So where's the connection to Egwene?

Also I don't think Rand will have anything to do with the reunification of male and female channelers. I think the signs are quite clear that Egwene and Logain are the ones who'll have to make that deal.

As for Egwene being the Yin to Rand's Yang that's just nonsense. Not to lessen her importance but there's only one Dragon in the prophecies and there isn't anyone of even near equal importance as he is.

And yes Egwene can hold him up. Not that I'm a 100% sure this will happen, but she could basically pull a Latra Pose on him and prevent all women from supporting his "Break the Seals" plan. There's no reason to assume Moiraine will blindly support Rand's plan (we're all forgetting that while she was all for the Dragon Rebron, she wasn't above questioning his moves, and opposing them when she felt there was reason to, exactly what Egwene is doing). And Nynaeve will support Rand, in the end, but will she be so supportive of the Seals plan if Egwene reveals her Dream, or some bit of research comes out pointing to the Seals needing to be intact till the last minute? What if she delves him again and now is able to find Rand's link to Moridin/Shai'tan? Will she be able to fully support a plan that, after all, does help the Shadow?

There's too many complicating factors here to assume this is all going to end cleanly in Rand's favor. The themes are certainly not set that way.

There won't be a repeat of the Fateful Concord. Nyneave already promised Rand her aid and he has already convinced her that the Seals need to be broken. Egwene was quite vexed when both Nyneave and Elayne didn't give her their unconditional support when she talked to them about it. Besides Cadsuane also knows about Rand's plan to break the seal and she clearly isn't opposed to it either. And finally, Moiraine is also quite likely to support Rand. She is one of the Aes Sedai with the best understanding of the prophecies and with the most sound understanding of what the Dragon has to do.

In any case Egwene's resistence to Rand breaking the seals is mostly due to her own ignorance. Unlike Rand she doesn't understand how the seals work. How could she, he is the one who placed them in the first place afterall. She believes that Rand could seal the DO without undoing the remaining seals and we know that to be an error. It's just her fear talking.

Egwene can't stop Rand and she knows this as well, what she hopes to achieve is to convince him with a show of strength to rethink his approach.

I have no doubt she will swallow the bitter pill.

What I am saying is, she will need persuasion, she will not be able to overcome it without aid. Nor will she want to. The Seanchan are attacking the White Tower. Why should she?

But more to the point, Tuon will not listen to her. There is no way in the world that she can convince Tuon of anything by herself. Not her fault. Tuon is simply Seanchan and...Tuon...

Mat already needs to be in the Tower for the Horn, and he IS married to Tuon. Rand is the Dragon Reborn, who is the only other person Tuon actually needs alive. And he has Hawkwing's blade.

Egwene cannot convince the Wise Ones, hell, NOBODY can convince them. Their honour at stake, not even Rand can persuade them. As we see in the possible future. Aviendha will do that, that is a great part of her Arc.

Re: Seals. If we are talking about a new Dream, or new research, then that is a different story. However, it is something we have no indication of, so not much to say. If there is some legitamate reason not to, Rand won't ignore it. Nor will anyone else.

This was in regards to opposition of the Seals in general. If there is no real reason apart from thinking it is a bad idea. Even if it may be, unless she has some proof, there will be no way to stop him. Without some proof, she cannot convince every woman channeller to not help him. Which I don't believe she would do anyway. But it is impossible. Rand has the Aes Sedai sworn to him, Cadsuane already thinks its a good idea, she is not opposed. Nynaeve is in support.

Moiraine of course, is needed, but we don't know her thoughts on the matter. You are assuming Rand is wrong. His reasons are sound. They are based both logically, from Herid Fel and from Prophecy and dreaming. Moiraine won't be blindly following him. She would just be seeing sense. If anything, it is Egwene who would be blindly opposing him. She doesn't actually no anything about the subject, nor is there any evidence to suggest she thinks anything about it other than to gather opposition. Which I believe is entirely intentional. She is trusting Rand to explain himself.

But I don't think it will come to it. Once he has explained, she will be on board. She is a smart woman, and she would not baulk at something like this out of fear. She opposes it because she thinks it will serve no purpose. Which was a deliberate omission on Rand's part.

Suttree has similar thoughts on the matter to me in regards to Egwene and Rand cooperating. I don't think that there need be a battle between who is "right" and who is "wrong". There need not be Rand V Egwene.

Can I have a quote for a few of the things you said. Not that I don't believe you, but I am interested in where it comes from.

1. Brandon talking about Egwene PoV.

2. Egwene's role in Rand's resurrection. She is like the least likely involved. Nynaeve, Min, Elayne and Avi are all involved, but not her.

3. Black Tower involvement?

I am not saying she won't have a huge role, but it just seems that you think she will do everything. There will be nothing left for anyone else to do. Black Tower, resurrection, the Seals themselves? Rand may as well just take a nap. :tongue: You are in love with Egwene more than anyone I have seen. :laugh:

Re: Seals. If we are talking about a new Dream, or new research, then that is a different story. However, it is something we have no indication of, so not much to say. If there is some legitamate reason not to, Rand won't ignore it. Nor will anyone else.

This was in regards to opposition of the Seals in general. If there is no real reason apart from thinking it is a bad idea. Even if it may be, unless she has some proof, there will be no way to stop him.

Think Fionwe is referring to the dream about Rand breaking the sphere which Egwene believes refers to the seals...

ToM

Break the seals? She saw the image from her dream, Rand hacking at the ropes that bound the crystalline globe. "Rand, no," she said.

That dream doesn't indicate anything new. Not really any indication other than the Seals being broken will be bad.

Which it will. Nobody is denying that, I don't believe.

Rand isn't exactly jumping up and down with joy at the prospect.

It will open the DO up a bit, which isn't exactly what anyone wants. (Although it is not as bad as freeing the DO. The bore is still the same size as it was before the sealing.)

It is necessary. Both practically and prophetically.

There is no argument against the case.

What MAY be different, is the timing. Which Egwene may well have something to say about. Now I don't know, but that Dream doesn't really say anything about timing to me. Just that Rand won't be keen on breaking the Seals. And neither shall she. Which is perfectly reasonable. It is not something that will be accompanied by a party.

I, personally, believe other things will cut the meeting short, either before it is decided, or forcing the decision to be made immediately.

As for Egwene, Egeanin, and co. brokering a deal with Seanchan, I don't know about the likelyhood of it, but they're certainly in a terrific bargaining position. "Agree to this, this, and this. Otherwise, we'll tear what's left of Seanchan to pieces with the little secret you've been keeping." I think that will certainly make Tuon willing to slow her roll a little. :)

I don't think they will let that slip in bargaining until absolutely necessary. They will probably keep that for something else. also, since tuon can channel, she would be torn apart too.

A few wandering thoughts:

"And then he will break what he must break." (paraphrasing the Arafellan prophecy!). Rand will break the seals. What the circumstances before or during that will be is anybody's guess.

Of all the people gathered in Merrilor, Rand only needs Perrin, the Aiel, and the Borderlanders. And all are sworn to him one way or another. The only people that he needs who aren't there are Mat (to help bind the nine moons) and Moiraine (callandor circle and strike on Shayol Ghul).

Rand will need his three women, most notably Elayne (to give him the dagger) and Aviendha (the Dragon's peace in addition to her participation as Aiel).

Egwene will have to lead the effort to clean the mess after Rand seals the Bore (Caemlyn, BT, and other attacks that might be launched at other places).

Since when did Egwene have anything to do with Rand's death/ressurection? Alivia is the one who is going to help him die and Egwene isn't very likely to be one of the three women in a boat and the two women who'll be linked to him are pretty much confirmed to be Nyneave and Moiraine. So where's the connection to Egwene?

Also I don't think Rand will have anything to do with the reunification of male and female channelers. I think the signs are quite clear that Egwene and Logain are the ones who'll have to make that deal.

As for Egwene being the Yin to Rand's Yang that's just nonsense. Not to lessen her importance but there's only one Dragon in the prophecies and there isn't anyone of even near equal importance as he is.

There won't be a repeat of the Fateful Concord. Nyneave already promised Rand her aid and he has already convinced her that the Seals need to be broken. Egwene was quite vexed when both Nyneave and Elayne didn't give her their unconditional support when she talked to them about it. Besides Cadsuane also knows about Rand's plan to break the seal and she clearly isn't opposed to it either. And finally, Moiraine is also quite likely to support Rand. She is one of the Aes Sedai with the best understanding of the prophecies and with the most sound understanding of what the Dragon has to do.

In any case Egwene's resistence to Rand breaking the seals is mostly due to her own ignorance. Unlike Rand she doesn't understand how the seals work. How could she, he is the one who placed them in the first place afterall. She believes that Rand could seal the DO without undoing the remaining seals and we know that to be an error. It's just her fear talking.

Egwene can't stop Rand and she knows this as well, what she hopes to achieve is to convince him with a show of strength to rethink his approach.

The issue here stems from the fact that rand didnt bother to explain why he needed to break the seals and his actions regarding the aftermath.

After all if you were taught all your life that the seals placed by lews therin telamon 3000 years was the only thing blocking the DO from accessing the world you would be terrified if someone suggested smashing the seals without any explanation.

Unfortunately common human reactions are ignored but hey where's the fun in common sense these days?

dont know if anyone has said this, i feel like i may have read it but what if rand has perrin break the seals with his hammer, i could see that, especially as a declaration of total commitment at the FOM and having perrin do it helps bring more people behind the idea rather than rand himself doing it... a kind of here we are and were not afraid

edit: i dont know if that would happen too early on, it may or may not put a rush on things if it happened, but a thought i had

dont know if anyone has said this, i feel like i may have read it but what if rand has perrin break the seals with his hammer, i could see that, especially as a declaration of total commitment at the FOM and having perrin do it helps bring more people behind the idea rather than rand himself doing it... a kind of here we are and were not afraid

edit: i dont know if that would happen too early on, it may or may not put a rush on things if it happened, but a thought i had

The seals are already in a very weakened state. They could probably be crushed by hand.

Archived