DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Red2111

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

finale this saturday! woo!

i would like to see how the equalists plan to deal with the full force of the United army coming down on them. Amon obviously has SOMETHING planned.... unless he completely forgot about the world outside of the City like i am sure we all did at some points lol

i wonder what the second season will be about if they defeat the equalists here and now? Amon escapes maybe? or equalists the world over rise and take over? You would think that Amon would give at least a LITTLE attention to the rest of the world, to bring down the other nations too.

hmmmm

so my DVR didn't muck up and skip recording a 2nd 30 minute block then :happy: good, then i don't have to call up the cable company to yell at them :laugh:

well, from the teaser at the end, it looks like maybe Amon succeeds in removing her bending ability ... but as she's the Avatar i can't see this not forcing her into the Avatar State and her just way laying him and beating him into submission. i do agree though that its way too early for Amon to go down *nods* the 1st season last time ended with Aang being trapped in the spirit realm, so i have to wonder if this series will take a similar turn. i do feel that Korra needs to get to the spirit realm though.

the episode before last, where Amon takes away Tarlocks bending ... in the flash back that Korra has it appears that some how Aang learned to control the avatar state and not let it take control of him. this is interesting *nods* also, i still think that Tarlock was working with Amon but decided that his use was done and dispatched him (kinda like what Hitler tried to do with Russia or what the Chan did wih that AS who made the a'dams *nods*

speaking of comparing this to WoT; i have to imagine havign your bending taken away is much like a channeler being severed form the source. hopefully what tarlock is doing is more like a Stilling that can be repaired rather than being burned out where theres no hope for repairing the connection. either way, i still say Koh is behind this *nods*

I can definitely see the avatar state being activated if Amon tries to take her bending.

As for the controlling thing, aang learned to control it at the end of the original series. He goes to kill ozai but stops himself and gsins control, and later his eyes flash blue when he moves the ocean to put out the flames. I read somewhere that when the avatar can control the State, his eyes only flash blue.

Koh is the most likely suspect, especially given Amon's facelessness. The way I see it, the whole Spirit Bending thing could very well be used to give people bending powers as well as take (or possibly just restore them if taken) but of course aang would not want that to be common knowledge, or perhaps he never realised he could do it since he never needed to return someone's bending.

I think in the end Korra will learn spirit bending and restore all the 'severed' bender's powers.

Also, how the heck is baifong going to get her armor off now? O.o lol

exactly, Aang was a good guy, so he'd only use the chi blocking of bending as an absolute last resort. you also brought up another point which was Amon being able to withstand the blood bending, this has me really puzzled *nods*

i never thought to connect the facelessness between the two, great point Hoof!!

also, you know who that guy was at the end, the one leading the United Army >:) Zuko's son. now HE'S gonna be one BAMF :happy:

MAJOR SEASON FINALE SPOILERS:

Interesting plot conclusion; however, I have to say - I'm a bit disappointed. Amon was a bender after all. Feels like a cop-out. It would have been way cooler if he really was a non-bender and just a total fucking badass.

I dunno, I'm pretty disappointed, just a very stereotypical "bad guy perverts cause for own selfish gain" type of thing. FFS, we don't even find out HOW Amon uses bloodbending to take away others' bending!

The whole episode was up until the end was pretty anticlimactic. The end was the only awesome part. Not gonna lie, I shed a couple tears. But now what are we going to do in Season 2? There's no more conflict, no more villains. At least for now.

So is this actually that good of a show? I mean...It's on Nik so I assume it's aimed at what...The 10 to 15 year old demographic? Don't get me wrong, I watch cartoons. I'm a Narutard, I watched every EP of Bleach. Other animes as well. I like all the DC and Marvel animated movies. I just feel like something on Nik would be too kiddy.

I was thinking of starting this. Do I need to have seen the first Avatar show to understand this one?

well... watching the original will give you a greater appreciation of everything, and the origincla series explains how all the bending/avatar spirit stuff works, but you can glean most of it from the context and a general knowledge if fantasy tropes. i would give Korra a shot :)

Interesting plot conclusion; however, I have to say - I'm a bit disappointed. Amon was a bender after all. Feels like a cop-out. It would have been way cooler if he really was a non-bender and just a total fucking badass.

I dunno, I'm pretty disappointed, just a very stereotypical "bad guy perverts cause for own selfish gain" type of thing. FFS, we don't even find out HOW Amon uses bloodbending to take away others' bending!

The whole episode was up until the end was pretty anticlimactic. The end was the only awesome part. Not gonna lie, I shed a couple tears. But now what are we going to do in Season 2? There's no more conflict, no more villains. At least for now.

I for one didnt expect it at all. I was convinced that it was Koh the Facestealer who was behind it, but this ending was much more surprising. it doesnt really matter if it is cliche'd to me at least- it is a cartoon. too much complexity would confuse the target demographic. Making Amon a Bender and exposing him was the quickest and most effective way to quash the equalist movement. if he turned out to be Koh's pawn you would still have hordes of equalists to deal with.

you have a point about the anticlimatic thing, but it was alright most of the time. a massive battle between equalist mobs/mechas/chi-blockers and United Forces troops that reached the shore would have been cool, but i suppose you can only fit in so much stuff.

So is this actually that good of a show? I mean...It's on Nik so I assume it's aimed at what...The 10 to 15 year old demographic? Don't get me wrong, I watch cartoons. I'm a Narutard, I watched every EP of Bleach. Other animes as well. I like all the DC and Marvel animated movies. I just feel like something on Nik would be too kiddy.

both series' are VERY good. they are aimed at pre-teens and teenagers mostly, so it isnt kiddy stuff. like... like a young adult fiction novel, almost, you could call it. simple, but not childish. this is NOT too kiddy, most definitely not. robably one of the most mature shows on nik, compared to the other stuff they have.

I for one didnt expect it at all. I was convinced that it was Koh the Facestealer who was behind it, but this ending was much more surprising. it doesnt really matter if it is cliche'd to me at least- it is a cartoon. too much complexity would confuse the target demographic. Making Amon a Bender and exposing him was the quickest and most effective way to quash the equalist movement. if he turned out to be Koh's pawn you would still have hordes of equalists to deal with.

you have a point about the anticlimatic thing, but it was alright most of the time. a massive battle between equalist mobs/mechas/chi-blockers and United Forces troops that reached the shore would have been cool, but i suppose you can only fit in so much stuff.

Koh was one of many Amon identity theories that I saw, though in truth it seemed among the less likely, can spirits even manifest themselves that strongly? (On a side note, the funniest theory that I saw was that Amon was Lee (Book 2, Episode 7, "Zuko Alone"), the little boy who took in Zuko on the farm, whose brother was killed by firebenders in the war. When he discovered Zuko was a firebender he ended up hating him too.)

Definitely agreed that a huge battle scene would have been awesome. Hopefully it'll get a little larger scale in Season 2.

Hmmm. I may check it out then.

Dude, I know I haven't been around that long, but I think you and I have discussed enough for you to know that we have pretty similar tastes. I strongly recommend both the original Last Airbender series and Legend of Korra as well, they're both fantastic shows. While they might be officially aimed at the young adult/teen demographic, there is more than enough material to hold your attention; the story is extremely engaging, and the characters are likable and dynamic. There were actually several times throughout the series that I actually said to myself, "Wow, this might not be a kids' show."

Koh was one of many Amon identity theories that I saw, though in truth it seemed among the less likely, can spirits even manifest themselves that strongly? (On a side note, the funniest theory that I saw was that Amon was Lee (Book 2, Episode 7, "Zuko Alone"), the little boy who took in Zuko on the farm, whose brother was killed by firebenders in the war. When he discovered Zuko was a firebender he ended up hating him too.)

Definitely agreed that a huge battle scene would have been awesome. Hopefully it'll get a little larger scale in Season 2.

Spirits can easily manifest physical form, that owl, the panda thing, why not Koh? Of course it is not known exactly how much physical contact they could have had with mortals.

Regardless, I always figured Amon was a human pawn of Koh's, who had his face stolen and was promised it back if he helped Koh take down the new Water Avatar (Koh fought with the last water avatar).

i'm actually disappointed with the ending as well and agree it was anti-climatic. i think the way they killed Amon was a cop out as well as how they got Korra her bending back. that for me was the biggest disappointment of all. i felt that they rushed this entire plot point between the equalists, Amon and Korra and that they coudl have easily, content wise, did this plot for 2 seasons. ending this season with Amon hitting his strong poitn and Korra finding a way to break the blood bending hold on her and regain her bending powers.

tbh, one thing i don't understand is why, when Amon attempted this, that it didn't envoke the avatar state; i would consider having your bending severed woudl be life threatening for the avatar. also, blood bending, imo, doesn't explain or make sense for severing the bending powers. a perminate style of Chi blocking, yes as Bending has more to do with energy than blood. this angle confuses me greatly.

i also teared up at the end *nods*

I was thinking of starting this. Do I need to have seen the first Avatar show to understand this one?

you don't need to watch the 1st show to understand this one; but tbh i recomend the first one more than this one. the first set of books was imo better quality and plot wise and didn't feel as rushed. the characters were also more likeable imo though i do like Korra as a character more than Aang; she has better development potential and depth.

out of anime's i'd put the original on par with InuYasha *nods* and comparing it to other Nicktoons isn't fair. i literally grew up watcign Nick in the 90's and thsi is one of THE best shows Nick has ever put out imo. it's got a childish side, the characters are immature; but alot of the situations and the stuff the characters deal with are adult in theme imo. its a very enjoyable show.

i was suprised to find Amon was both Tarlocks brother and a bender as well. this psychic blood bending aspect is wierd as well. tbh, i always equated bending with channeling, where the motions were more for asthetics rather than needed to do the actual channeling. instead their making it more like wand lore, where the wand is needed to do and the magic.

i don't think the equalist movement is squashed though, and likely i still think that this entire movement is Kohs doing. Koh is an agent of choas for lack of a better term, he thrives on disorder and misconduct and mistrust; likely he is helping to influence it from the spirit world in the same way i'm sure he was influencing the fire Nations grab for power in the original series.

i agree that an epic battle woudl have been cool, but i like how their tweaking this world and shadowing it with ours as far as mechanics developement. right now, their world is in the 1920's era of ours. imo, i thinks its neat as all get out for them to include this type of sematry to the real world :happy: so the water mines, and torpedos and smaller dog fighting style air planes made lots of sense. i was almsot expecting Korra to go head to head with a u-boat :laugh:

one thing i do wish, we coudl have seen more of ol boys brother *snickers* i can see why Aang named him after the old Earthkingdom ruler lmao now HE is gonna be a great character :happy: also <3 Zuko's grandson. i'm telling you, this kids gonna be one BAMF. korra needs to just forget the fire bender she's got the hots for currently and go after Zuko's grandson *nods*

is it bad that i keep hoping that Azula's grand kids will be making apperances and reaking havoc :unsure: cause i totally <3 Azula. one of the best villians i've seen in a while :happy:

i dunno about being his identity, i'm thinking more of like Amon having been his puppet. ie: Amon somehow got acess to the spirit realm (near death experience) and made a deal with Koh to destroy the avatar. a really good angle for this imo woudl have been keeping with the non-bender whose family was killed by a fire bender angle, giving him the motive for wanting to destroy all benders, and having Koh say "i'll give you this power of severing the bending ability on one condition, use it to destroy the avitar"

now THAT would have been a kick ass plot point and had ALOT of potential for being just as good a plot point as the fire nation's world domination in the 1st trilogy.

with them killing off their main antagonist, and giving Korra back her bending, i'm confused on what their aim will be next season. that said, i'm feelign a re-watch of the first season now *nods*

Spirits can easily manifest physical form, that owl, the panda thing, why not Koh? Of course it is not known exactly how much physical contact they could have had with mortals.

Regardless, I always figured Amon was a human pawn of Koh's, who had his face stolen and was promised it back if he helped Koh take down the new Water Avatar (Koh fought with the last water avatar).

the owl and the panda were all within the spirit realm. the only one who can manifest any spirit form in the phsycial world (that i know of) is the Avatar because there is a direct connection. BUT we do know that the spirits can manipulate the phsyical realm. afterall, didn't Koh do that before with a previous avatar?

i really have to wonder why they didn't take the Koh/Amon angle tbh. it had so much great potential

you know, in comparision to the 1st trilogy in this series, i cry every time in the 1st season ending. between the plot line with Yuai, and the emotional toll that the avatar state takes on Aang as well as the whole fall out of killing the Yang fish ... it just gets me.

come to think of it, and talking about Koh ... isnt' it Koh that led that Fire Bending general to where that info was at and orcastrated that entire event?

and Hoof, i have to correct myslef. the Owl is much liek the Moon and Sun goddess's in that world. they shed their imortality and godly states to become part of the pysical world. this was also the case of the Turtle in season 3 *nods*

this is from memory though, and i haven't watched the show in a few years. i really need to break out my DVD's and give the show a re-watch. Bubba only watched part of the last season, but watched all of Korra, so he siad he'd be up for watchign it with me *nods*

Um. You're vastly inflating Koh's importance in the original series. He just showed up once to be pumped for information on other spirits, and that was that. The only action of his described at all was when he showed up to eat Avatar Kuruk's wife to punish him for slacking off on the whole being-the-avatar business. The only reason anyone jumped to conclusions about his possible involvement with Amon is because A) Amon presented himself with his face hidden, which there are plenty of more mundane reasons for (I still don't get how any of the fans actually bought his cover story), and B) Koh was that memorable that everyone just wanted him to come back.

I too hope that an Azula-like villain shows up. Whether it be her grandkids I don't mind, but someone with her level of crazy awoesomeness (without being a clone, of course) would be nice.

The second season must be linked to the first season somehow... but they pretty much tied up all loose ends this time, unlike at the end of Legend of Aang first season. Unless their was someone or something behind Amon who reveals themselves or gets another pawn, the new antagonist will not likely have any connection to the Equalists.

Um. You're vastly inflating Koh's importance in the original series. He just showed up once to be pumped for information on other spirits, and that was that. The only action of his described at all was when he showed up to eat Avatar Kuruk's wife to punish him for slacking off on the whole being-the-avatar business. The only reason anyone jumped to conclusions about his possible involvement with Amon is because A) Amon presented himself with his face hidden, which there are plenty of more mundane reasons for (I still don't get how any of the fans actually bought his cover story), and B) Koh was that memorable that everyone just wanted him to come back.

Well, Amon was an awesome ninja with an ability that only the avatar has had previously. Which spirit could have given him the power? Koh is the only really bad one we encounter, so we jump to him. What did you think his power was from, if not Koh?

Hoof its not the same ability. to compare to WoT

Amon = severing (the link is still there and can be healed)

Avatar = burning out (the entire link is burned)

Amon blocks the ability using blood (i'm guess soem sort of blood clot) while the Avatar wipes the ability fromt he soul (note the glowing from teh touch on all accounts of this being done by the avatar)

his power was from manipulation of blood bending in the brain some how ... maybe theres a cortext of the brain which holds the bending abilty and signals to the body and he bascially cut off the connection between it and the body. its the only explination since it is blood bending he was using. imo, this still doesn't make sense though.

reyler - you have to admit though, it woudl have been alot cooler to go the angle both me and Hoof are talking rather than the angle they went with. *nods*

edit - and i remember seeing Koh twice on seperate accounts and trips to the spirit realm in the first trilogy as well.

Believe it or not, I don't tend to ask these sorts of questions; I just sort of enjoy the ride. That's one of the reasons I haven't been on the WoT part of the boards in years. Honestly the first clue that Amon's power did not come from any spirits is the fact that he himself said it did, when describing his personal history which was so obviously a load of propagandist horse-dren that I still can't believe anyone took it at face value.

Also I don't think there's likely to be such a thing as "Azula's grandkids" unless somewhere in the interceding seventy years she got a lot saner. It was stated somewhere that she got shipped off to whatever passes for the loony bin in Avatar-world.

The season finale was mostly satisfying, except for the couple of moments where Korra gets bailed out without much basis or explanation.

edit for Red, since I left the original post sitting in the reply box for like an hour.

Amon's unbending ability seems to involve some kind of combination of chi-blocking and nerve damage. Koh showed up in the first season finale, when Aang went into the spirit world to get information about the ocean and moon spirits. He was then referenced later in the second part of the four-part finale, when Aang is consulting his past lives - Kuruk gives him the context of which avatar tried to kill Koh and why. Other than that Koh only shows up in the "game" that is used to bridge seasons two and three, showing him as sort of a gatekeeper to Aang reconnecting with his four most recent past lives.

@red: I know about all that, I was just saying that before we knew the truth, it APPEARED to be the same power.

And tbf, the avatar may be able to restore the power he takes, but he has never had to. The fact that Korra and the others were healed spiritually while being damaged physically implies that either the styles of the ability arent that different, or their bending was replaced rather than healed.

• 2 weeks later...

in the middle of my re-watch of LAB. i can see what you guys meant about the Panda and being a spirit effect the real world. but there were special circumstances surrounding that ie: the complete distruction of the spirits forrest/home and him being severly POd about it.

i was also wrong about Kohs involvement of the killing of the moon god apparently :dry:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived