DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wheel of Time television Series?

Darthe

This is doable. I don't think that it used to be but considering the production values going into shows of a fantasy related nature lately (especially on HBO) this could be a wonderful profit and would keep DM alive if it happened. Would anybody else be excited to see this happen so long as the show stayed true to the books? And, by true, I mean following the plot almost exactly though a bit of dialogue/ event sequencing/ etc. may be smudged a bit or shifted to work better for television. Also, Llama.

I'd love to see it happen, I think a TV series would be the only way to go about it, similar to Game of Thrones. The exception to this possibly being the Eye of the World as I hear Universal have the rights to make a film and I think it would just about be possible.

The commitment to make these books into a movie/TV series. would be enormous. By comparision LotR in total is somewhere around 1300 pages. That converted to over 11 hours of screen time in the extended versions. To do the series justice would take well over 100 hours of screen time. even in an hour long format that would be in excess of 140 episodes. Which would be about 6 years of shows. I would hate to see it stopped in the middle.

they might do somethign with it similar to how their planning on handling the DT series, rathe rthan going HBO's route with ASoF&I.

make EotW a movie, then transfer the rest of the books into a series on Showtime, Starz or HBO. just so long as Universal doesn't shove it off to Warner Bros; the way WB did HP, i'll likely go to hollywood and burn the place down if they mess with WoT in that way.

as for following stirckly to the series and having everything included. so long as they treat the series like HBO is treating ASoF&I you wont hear any big complaints from me. and alot of stuff in the middle books of WoT can be left out or shortened dramatically. heck, imo some of the middle books can even be combinded into a single season and still stay true to the over all plot of the series.

they might do somethign with it similar to how their planning on handling the DT series, rathe rthan going HBO's route with ASoF&I.

make EotW a movie, then transfer the rest of the books into a series on Showtime, Starz or HBO. just so long as Universal doesn't shove it off to Warner Bros; the way WB did HP, i'll likely go to hollywood and burn the place down if they mess with WoT in that way.

as for following stirckly to the series and having everything included. so long as they treat the series like HBO is treating ASoF&I you wont hear any big complaints from me. and alot of stuff in the middle books of WoT can be left out or shortened dramatically. heck, imo some of the middle books can even be combinded into a single season and still stay true to the over all plot of the series.

This is pretty much what I was trying to say, except this is much more informed :laugh:

Whoever took it on would have to put in a massive amount of time and money, not to mention they would have to be a fan, to do it justice.

The commitment to make these books into a movie/TV series. would be enormous. By comparision LotR in total is somewhere around 1300 pages. That converted to over 11 hours of screen time in the extended versions. To do the series justice would take well over 100 hours of screen time. even in an hour long format that would be in excess of 140 episodes. Which would be about 6 years of shows. I would hate to see it stopped in the middle.

I agree immensely with this, but 6 years (around 6 14-16 episodes) would fit very well into the traditional plan for a television series. It would be a shame to do anything less than this to TWoT in general. What Red said is very true as well. HBO has done fantastic work with A Song of Ice and Fire. With that level of production value (look at the dragons) and the fact that Robert Jordan was very descriptive (to the point that we could probably be missing 2-3 books and still have a clear idea of what was happening in the series) I believe that this is not only possible but marketable.

I agree immensely with this, but 6 years (around 6 14-16 episodes) would fit very well into the traditional plan for a television series. It would be a shame to do anything less than this to TWoT in general. What Red said is very true as well. HBO has done fantastic work with A Song of Ice and Fire. With that level of production value (look at the dragons) and the fact that Robert Jordan was very descriptive (to the point that we could probably be missing 2-3 books and still have a clear idea of what was happening in the series) I believe that this is not only possible but marketable.

unless they pull a firefly.

TV series is definately better than movie. I don't think it is possible to put all those things in a movie. But TV series or movies, I think it would be an adult movie because it would involve many Clad in the Light scenes(those who don't know what Clad in the Light means, please re read). Raisings, Bonding of First Sisters, some couldn't be correct and at the same time be universal. I would prefer only books. We can trust books after all. Maybe the movie or TV series could raise awareness about WoT. Like before TV series, hardly anyone in my area had heard of GoT but now it is hard to find the books in the library because they kept getting issued. This is a good effect but if they don't make the movie or TV series good, then maybe people wouldn't be attracted to read the books and would call it bad on the basis of the movie or TV program. No movie is better than bad movie.

Archived