DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Game of Thrones Season 2

Emperor

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alfie Allen, who plays Theon Greyjoy on GOT, drops some major hints on who Jon SNow's parents are:

http://io9.com/59161...ret-of-them-all

Game of Thrones

This is the rarest of spoilers, insofar as it seems to apply both to the TV show and the as yet unpublished books. Theon Greyjoy actor Alfie Allen reveals he asked George R.R. Martin the answer to one of the saga's biggest unsolved mysteries, and his answer certainly drops some potentially massive clues:

You know, I asked him about who Jon Snow's real parents were, and he told me. I can't say who, but I can tell you that it involves a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation. It will all come to fruition eventually. The whole thing with all the fight over proper succession is partly inspired by the War of the Roses in the late 1400s, and back then, to ensure pedigree, the monarchies were kind of inbred. It's definitely fucked up, but it definitely happened back then, so that's why there's incest with the Targaryen line. It's toned down, though.

Let's assume Allen knows what he's talking about when making the Star Wars analogy. For this to be a Luke Skywalker situation, you'd kind of have to think that Jon Snow's father — the one parent he thought he was sure of — isn't who he thought he was. Also, his father is a monster on the scale of Darth Vader. At the risk of adding 2 and 2 together to make 1,000, his sudden segue into discussion of the Targaryen line might be relevant here. (I'm not going to say any more, since my Morning Spoilers remit doesn't necessarily cover spoiling the books as well, so I'm going to keep this relatively vague.) But, of course, this is all massive speculation, so I'd advise drawing your own conclusions. [Vulture]

So if we take the Star Wars analogy, Luke was raised by someone who was not his father but an uncle. His real father was the Big Bad of the story, Vader. Applying that, we have Ned (brother to Lysana (spelling?) making him Jon's uncle) and the Big Bad of the show would be.... Mad King Aerys? Unless Alfie exagerated a bit and confused the Mad King with Prince Rheagar.

well Sam

Vader wasn't really the BIG baddie in Star Wars, that was Emporer Palipatine(sp). Vader was more like his desciple. so imo, Ares would be the equavalent to the Emporer and Rheagar would be Vadar *nods sagely*

• Community Administrator

or you konw, Martin loving his red herrings, and this guy making a bad comparison... Its not that we don't know who his father is, (Note, he said 'like a luke skywalker' situation. From the way I understand it, luke didn't konw 'either' of his parents, and 'knew' his real parents were his adopted parents'..... Anyways what I'm getting at is this. He might assume his 'mother' was a local whore in some one stop village he stopped in. However, this 'may' not be the case at all. It salready been hinted she was of 'nobel' birth. But 'why' do we asume its tagerian(sp) thing? It could just as easilly be a.... Lanister thing. What would both houses hate to come to light?That not only did jon snows father have a bastard.. but a bastard to House Lanister? That... would be mighty... inferiating.. no? (And I do consider lanisters 'THE' bad guys in this book series no the daneries faction. They are your 'imperial' forces after all..

Course its 'just' as likely that perhaps the mad king raped Ne'ds sister, she gave birth to jon snow, and ned brought him home. He 'did' love his sister beyond all reason, and that 'would' be a good reason for ned to protect jon snow... Because he reminds him so much of his 'sister'.

The only thing that came to mind when I read that is that maybe Jon Snow is Ned and Lyanna's son. I'm fairly sure that's waaaay off but that's the impression I got from the talk of the Targaryean's. Personally I don't really care who his parents are. He's dead anyway.

The only thing that came to mind when I read that is that maybe Jon Snow is Ned and Lyanna's son. I'm fairly sure that's waaaay off but that's the impression I got from the talk of the Targaryean's. Personally I don't really care who his parents are. He's dead anyway.

Yeah so was Sir Barric Donderrin, Catlyn Stark, and The Mountain. :rolleyes:

it wasn't outright stated that The Mountain came back from the dead was it?

Jon's parents spoiler

Most people assume that Jon is the child of Rhaegar and Lysanna, either through love or, less likely, rape. And Ned promised his dying sister never to tell anybody because Robert would kill the child out of hate.

If not dead then near enough. It is a little vague on what exactly happened to him but most people seem to think him as being a Frankenstein kinda creature now.

Jon's parents spoiler

Most people assume that Jon is the child of Rhaegar and Lysanna, either through love or, less likely, rape. And Ned promised his dying sister never to tell anybody because Robert would kill the child out of hate.

Could this be why Ned is so protective of Danny when Robert wanted to kill her?

Jon's parents spoiler

Could this be why Ned is so protective of Danny when Robert wanted to kill her?

I don't think that Ned needed another reason than honor and decency. He had the same urge to protect the children of Jamie and Cersei, before he got arrested.

actually i believe it was. also, taking into account that the Red Lady is at the wall and that faith has had alot of instances of known dead people comming back to life (ie: Cat, whom we saw her dead body then saw it reanimated). we know that the Red Lady favors Jon as important to her gods plans, she even said so. so i doubt she'll let him continue to be dead or let him be turned into a White Walker.

also, theres the fact that Jon is a skinchanger or warg. we KNOW from the prolouge that so long as a warg has an animal alive hes made a connection with and jumped into before, that he will not die but continue to live on inside that animal.

also, technically, Jon was still alive when the chapter ended. its just, given the nature of the attack and how many times he was being stabbed, he's not likely to live.

I don't think that Ned needed another reason than honor and decency. He had the same urge to protect the children of Jamie and Cersei, before he got arrested.

^ this

guys feel free to take the book talk to this thread without the need for spoiler tags :happy:

I doubt Jon is the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar. I think it would be more likely that he's actually Ned Starks bastard than that. Also he's dead. He MIGHT come back inside Ghost (which uhh sucks for Ghost? Does that mean that the Direwolf Ghost is basically forced to take a backseat for the rest of Jon/Ghosts life?) but I doubt that as well. He wasn't exaactly well versed in his Warg powers and can't jump around at will.

I doubt Jon is the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar. I think it would be more likely that he's actually Ned Starks bastard than that. Also he's dead. He MIGHT come back inside Ghost (which uhh sucks for Ghost? Does that mean that the Direwolf Ghost is basically forced to take a backseat for the rest of Jon/Ghosts life?) but I doubt that as well. He wasn't exaactly well versed in his Warg powers and can't jump around at will.

Book spoilers in tags.

GRRM's laid so much evidence that Jon Snow is Rhaegar's and Lyanna's son that he'd have to be in the mood to completely pull the rug out from under his fans to do otherwise. It's THE most popular theory as to his parentage, and if you ever reread AGoT with that in mind it'll be quite obvious why people think that. If Jon Snow is NOT their child, he did at least intentionally want his readers to think it was. Also, GRRM's laid a strong foundation for Jon Snow's resurrection by Mel. She's there, and their funeral rights are what could bring him back. Given that Jon Snow died (and will perhaps be reborn?) under a "bleeding star" (the sigil of the man the giant was flinging about, the blood on the cape with the sigil on it) in the middle of smoke (from the fire) and salt (from the tears in the eyes of the men of the Night's Watch who stabbed him), it seems pretty well implied that Mel will think he's the Prince that was Promised, especially given that Jon Snow kept appearing when she looked into her flames when she asked R'hllor to show her Azor Ahai.

GRRM has been known to mislead his audience and to throw red herrings out there. But the foundation for these two developments has been laid quite solidly. This isn't fan's reaching for something. If it doesn't come to pass, it's not because the fans made something out of nothing but because GRRM intentionally misled us.

EDIT: I found this essay on the topic discussing possibilities for Jon's parents and the evidence given. The essay is hidden until you select how far into the series you've read.

http://towerofthehand.com/essays/chrisholden/jon_snows_parents.html

really HBO, you couldn't be bothered to make Tyrion's nose more disfigured like in the book :mad: just a litle cut over his nose. such a cop-out *shakes head*

I read your post before seeing the episode and thought it would just be a little red line across his nose. What I saw was a brutal and ghastly scar that slashed across his face from eye to jaw. lol

I'm pleased enough with what they gave us.

Book spoilers in tags.

GRRM's laid so much evidence that Jon Snow is Rhaegar's and Lyanna's son that he'd have to be in the mood to completely pull the rug out from under his fans to do otherwise. It's THE most popular theory as to his parentage, and if you ever reread AGoT with that in mind it'll be quite obvious why people think that. If Jon Snow is NOT their child, he did at least intentionally want his readers to think it was. Also, GRRM's laid a strong foundation for Jon Snow's resurrection by Mel. She's there, and their funeral rights are what could bring him back. Given that Jon Snow died (and will perhaps be reborn?) under a "bleeding star" (the sigil of the man the giant was flinging about, the blood on the cape with the sigil on it) in the middle of smoke (from the fire) and salt (from the tears in the eyes of the men of the Night's Watch who stabbed him), it seems pretty well implied that Mel will think he's the Prince that was Promised, especially given that Jon Snow kept appearing when she looked into her flames when she asked R'hllor to show her Azor Ahai.

GRRM has been known to mislead his audience and to throw red herrings out there. But the foundation for these two developments has been laid quite solidly. This isn't fan's reaching for something. If it doesn't come to pass, it's not because the fans made something out of nothing but because GRRM intentionally misled us.

EDIT: I found this essay on the topic discussing possibilities for Jon's parents and the evidence given. The essay is hidden until you select how far into the series you've read.

http://towerofthehan...ws_parents.html

I think the fandom is being intentionally misled

Book spoilers in tags.

http://towerofthehan...ws_parents.html

I think the fandom is being intentionally misled

That could be the case here, but that would be very bad writing and a cheap stunt of G.R.R.Martin

It would be like Sanderson telling us in the last scene of AMOL that Rand wasn't the DR and it was Logain all along.

Well, if it had been foreshadowed to be the truth throughout the entire series, then yeah, it might be like that.

Archived