DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Questions Questions; Age of Legends

GuyApollo

I'm starting Wheel of Time D20.

I'm trying to set this up, so people who haven't read the books can play, and it not ruin the story for them.

For this reason, I've deiced to set the story in Age of Legends.

I feel I will have more elbo room in the Second Age.

The first and man problem, is the lack of information. I have a pretty good grasp of Cultural anthropology, and will be able to disseminate the cultures of areas, but what conquests they've made, and those who've conquered them. This wont be near as accurate as it would be if I could ask Robert Jordan. But that's not possible, so I'll take what I can get.

At this point I want to at least get a map of the Wetland, in the second age. I plan to make this, I just need more information.. The closer to accurate I can get the thing, the better.

I would imagin, that logically, that Paaran Disen would be were Cairhien, or Tar Valon is. This is due the the creation of towers. This is the kind of logic I'm looking for.

I don't like guess work, but for the most part, that's all I've got.

Any information on were the cities were, any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Honestly there's just not much to work off. Geographically at least, the Breaking so completely damaged the world that there's little correlation between the AOL and the 3rd age.

Instead of trying to reconstruct off the scant details provided in the books, I'd use those details then build on them in the general spirit of what Jordan says. Eventually you're going to have to make up huge swathes of it, so might as well start at the beginning.

Actually, writing about the Age of Legends is easy: Just mimic our current day and technology, replacing electricity with OP.

Quite honestly, Robert Jordan said he would never write about the Age of Legends because it was boring.

Honestly there's just not much to work off. Geographically at least, the Breaking so completely damaged the world that there's little correlation between the AOL and the 3rd age.

Instead of trying to reconstruct off the scant details provided in the books, I'd use those details then build on them in the general spirit of what Jordan says. Eventually you're going to have to make up huge swathes of it, so might as well start at the beginning.

In there mental workings, the people of the wetlands, are the same as us. Certain locations would be rebuild, because of their access to water.

New cities, would undoubtedly be built, but the larger places would remain.

In our world cities like Babylon, now known as Bagdad, have stood, been destroyed and rebuilt, by more wars then we even know about.

Water means trade. 99% of civilization in our would is on the coast, on a river, or connected to a river/ocean by rail. Cities that aren't by a water source, especially in the united states, only sprang up after a rail line went through, or else on some sort of trade route.

If any part of the infrastructure is there, roads, canals, dock systems, walls of any account, the people will rebuild there.

One of the joker card, so to speak, in this situation that causes me trouble, is Bailfire. Which citie(s) were destroyed? Any clues on that.

Moghedien says in TFoH that the shadow won a Victory at Paaran Disen. Wonder if they nuked it, to destroy the Hall of Servants.

Long story short, I still wanna try. If I could get the locations for Paaran Disen and maybe M'Jinn Id be happy.

I could also say it's one of the parrelle worlds and make everything up lol.. Thats not verry fun.. :P

moved this to the general WoT discussion.

Sorry, I looked around for a bit.. It seemed right place =3

http://www.dragonmount.com/forums/topic/68984-is-randland-earth-and-if-so-are-you-sure/

This is a link to another thread that talks about locations of cities in the AoL. Basicly, the only city that is stated in the series that had existed from the AoL through the breaking and into present-day Randland is Far Madding. (Rand states this in chapter A Testing in ToM). The rest are all stated as new founded after the Breaking (I think there is a slight discrepency there as Tear was, as early as TDR was the oldest human city and it was built when the Breaking neared an end but if there has basicly always been a city arround the Guardians ar Far Madding then wouldnt that count as the oldesnt city? I invite discussion) .

Starting a D20 game on the War of the Shadow is pretty ambitious as we only have the names of several of the larger cities, no locations and the geography was altered on a macro level after the War ended. If you draw a map, I'm sure both that we'd like to see it and that it will be subject to fairly hot debate.

In there mental workings, the people of the wetlands, are the same as us. Certain locations would be rebuild, because of their access to water.

New cities, would undoubtedly be built, but the larger places would remain.

Except even things like access to water and climate and terrain were changed wildly in the Breaking. Take the city Asmodean points out while crossing the Dragonwall, we have a city that was previously oceanside, found high up in the mountains bordering on the desert, thousands of kilometers from the nearest ocean. Giving what Jordan describes of the damage the Breaking caused, and the scope on which it occured, it's pretty reasonable that most other cities ended up similarly.

If you draw a map, I'm sure both that we'd like to see it and that it will be subject to fairly hot debate.

When I do post it, you know every square inch of it will be wrong, and they'll let me know it.

I'm going to use Campaign Cartographer, I'll see what I can do..

Except even things like access to water and climate and terrain were changed wildly in the Breaking. Take the city Asmodean points out while crossing the Dragonwall, we have a city that was previously oceanside, found high up in the mountains bordering on the desert, thousands of kilometers from the nearest ocean.

I can think of too many descriptions of what exactly happened in the breaking.. If I can get an idea what changed, I might be able to have a good place to start.

Quick note lol

Redoing the One Power system, don't like the one given.. Not like the book..

My line about drawing to much- :P

book joke

"This can range from doing damage to them, to killing them, and in the worse case, severing them. This can range from doing damage to them, to killing them, and in the worse cases, severing them. "

Geographically, Earth in the Age of Legends was very close to what it is today. Our actual globe, that is. The Breaking distorted the world to how it is in the Third Age. There's a lot of tell-tale signs that show how the map in the books is adapted from the maps of today. Here's an interpretation of the primary continent where the story takes place.

Randland1.jpg

The distances given in the story and the real world distances match, both from east to west and north to south. The Himalayas are clearly present, Southeast Asia is also very similar, right down to where it crosses the equator. I was practically able to trace the western coastline by looking at features on an actual globe: from high plateau areas in France down to mountainous areas in Africa for the shadow coast.

Comelle is said to be about 400 leagues from the western coast of modern day Randland. I'm recalling that off the top of my head. This was in a chapter during Rand's flashback memories in Rhuidean. The number I cited may be wrong, but I have looked up the number and converted it to miles in the past and checked how it would work out. The best place for it on this map would be in Morocco relatively close to Casablanca, perhaps a little farther south (it's been some times since I took my ruler and string to a globe to check this stuff). As I said, the world was likely very close to the modern world, but that doesn't mean exact. I'd use a modern map as a basis, make some tweaks to make it unique and represent some changes for the passing of millennium, and voila! a starting point.

Oh, how could I forget? V'Sain is described as an idyllic island in a cool sea. It wasn't a tropical island like some people suggest. Let's also keep in mind that weather was somewhat controllable in the Age of Legends, so extreme weather could be tempered. So back to my point! V'Sain is around where I circled Shayol Ghul on that map. I'm not against a little continental drift, but some people get the idea that the Breaking would literally shift an island a few thousand miles into the middle of another land mass. I disagree with that. It may not be that specific island, perhaps one a little further west and south would work a little better, but I'm not digging out my globe now. I will admit that this one interpretation relies on the assertion that the map given in the books is somewhat scrunched up north of the Mountains of Dhoom. Everything else between the MoD and the Spine matches up perfectly, as do the maps given us that show east of the Spine. The other less controversial assertion is that the map given in the books is a somewhat distorted map projection, which would have to be true on some level given the amount of area covered. I forget the name of the projection, but I'm pretty sure it's one where the longitudinal lines are parallel.

Probably looked like this. XD

http://en.es-static..../earth_spin.gif

Agreed. There are things all through the books that implies that the Age of Legends was present day. Just that at some point the One Power was found and used. So maybe not present day but a future yet to come or maybe already happened once before. After all there is no beginning or ending in the wheel.

I see your point about the similarities. But how does all this help with the Issue ITT.. I feel we're getting off topic :P

Was this at me? You asked for maps of the Second Age and potential locations for named AoL cities.

We can't know for certain if there wasn't a massive geographical calamity between our age and the Age of Legends. I'm assuming not, though I'm not claiming it's exactly the same. Let me include a more specific map of just the area of the westlands and the location of cities I can place on it.

map.jpg

-Comelle was described as being a coastal city cling to the mountainsides and overlooking the sea some distance off from where the current western coast in the Third Age is.

-Aren Deshar is Far Madding now.

-V'saine was a cool island in an idyllic sea and was where the creation of the Bore happened and is where Shayol Ghul is now.

I'm going to hold myself back from placing Shorelle. Regrettably the quote in the books is not as specific as I hoped after having gone back to read it. I've gone back to it multiple times before, I don't know why I just noticed this now. For the purposes of placing it, though, know that it's a port city. As for other cities, I've little clue as to where to place them. Some people feel that M'jinn belongs in present day Michigan due to a comment about its fickle whether and I suppose the sound of the name. Paaran Disen's name is a combination of a Germanic word and a Scandinavian legend, so perhaps placement in northern Europe would be appropriate.

Archived