DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

UFC - WoT

Machin Shin

Hammer Gaidin I think it was... and Galad killed him. Mat has war and fighting ingrained in his head, he doesn't even have to think about it. Theres 1000 years of knowledge in that head. Plus hes young, faster, and has better reflexes than Lan. The gholam made a fade look slow, and Mat was able to put a lick on it. As awesome as Lan is, Mat is on legendary warrior status.

someone in one of the other forums brought up how bel'al manouvered and defended against rand with such ease, and should be a contender.

the gholam is the best fighter in my opinion, the only reason mat isn't toast is his medallion....other than that the best fighters are lan mat and rhuarc, but i believe mats memories give him the edge.

No, Hammer is not the best of the gaiden with the blade. In KoD an Aes Sedai pauses, thinking on one of the other Aes Sedai's gaidin, and thinks that he is accounted the best swordsmen amongst the warders... unless i miss my guess, it was Sheriam's warder, but i do not have my books on me, so i cannot find it for sure.

not what i was talkin bout.

after mat beat G&G hammer said to the students "who was the best swordsman ever?" and they all replied "sum1 gaidin" (who warders are named after im guessing) and he was beaten by farmer with a quarterstaff.

Be'lal and Sammael were apparently both excellent swordsmen. From his conversation with Rand in the Stone, Be'lal was apparently one of the first to transform the "sport" of swords back into a martial art in the Age of Legends. And Sammael was a world-champion athlete in the swords and archery competitions of his Age. None of the others seem to be likely candidates: Aginor was a scientist (biologist/geneticist); Balthmel a dissolute ladies-man, Ishamael a philosopher (although apparently an accomplished skulker as well, perhaps he has some weapons expertise); Rahvin is tough to nail down, but it is said he "preferred ... diplomacy and manipulation to open conflict" (BWB, p. 56); Demandred is a tactician, and given his short POV in With the Choedan Kal, unused to personal combat; and Asmodean might win a battle of the bands, but thats all. As for the women; Lanfear obviously preferred other methods, she'd only stab you in your dreams or while she was kissing you; Graendal was a psychologist/self-help guru; Moghedien was an investment advisor; Semirhage could probably do a number on you with a scalpel, but I doubt she's familiar with swords; and Mesaana was a failed researcher/teacher.

So, in conclusion, Sammael and Be'lal would probably be dangerous in a swordfight, but the others would be better in other arenas.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fire Lord

Since this is past and present, i'm surprised none mentioned Rand.

Hell, the guy killed seven or eight Trollocs by himself in the G.H. just after they had recovered the Horn of Valere, and he was still learning at that. Sure Trollocs are big and clumsy, but if they come on you at least four at the same time...

Then, considering the miserable state in which he was when he was being kept in that box, he managed to kill a warder with his own hand, and mortally wounded another with his sword. And that in the time it took sisters to embrace the source and stop him.

How fast do you think that was done? Less than five seconds? And how fast do you think Rand would be in full health? Hell, warders are supposed to be deadly, and not just with a sword. Anyone who kills not one but two before they can react is a deadly fighter to me.

And don't use the pain gave him strength, maddened him thing, it's an excuse. If he was able to do that, I believe he could repeat it.

I think that we shouldn't leave Tuon herslef out of this. In CoT she was woopin' up on Mat till she was grabbed from behind by what's his face.

But I might have to go with Rand before he lost his hand. He's trained in many forms of combat, Archery, Swords, probably the staff like Mat, and in the Aiel spear and hand fighting techniques.

So though the others may be good I think that rand could find a fighting technique to exploit their each of their weakness.

im going to go with Urza. Yea, Yea. I know. According to RJ Urza doesnt exist in the Wheel of Time. But as far as MTG is concerned the plane that encompases randland and ect. exists in the infinate multiverse. Since Urza exists in that greater existance, he exists in this more specific existance. *shrug* Urza is the only fantasy character that can take on any other character from any other series w/o any real exertion of energy. Garfield just gave him too much power. Whatever hes 1337 sauce.

I posted this before the mysterious post plauge.

I think that Rand would have the edge over the entire lot of them. Thuarc trained Rand to firght like the Aiel, Lan made Rand into a Blade Master, he has all the training that Mat has with the bow and the staff/stave. So with all that I think that he could change his fighting style into such a way that he could get through just about anyone's defenses and beat anyone. That is when he had both his hands.

Archived