DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dance with Jak o' the Shadows

Giovanni

this is awesome, mat is my favourite character and i love this version of his bands warsong.

i hope this guy does some more wot music.

is anyone aware of any other wot related music?? and if so can they direct me there...

i think we should have a wot themed music tab here somewhere we can gather it all together and enjoy it.

is there another place i can download this Dance with the jak o' the shadows song... when i try download it - it just plays in windows media player... i can't find it downloaded on my laptop anywhere...

i looked on you tube and can't find it there.... i want a copy of this song badly.

is there another place i can download this Dance with the jak o' the shadows song... when i try download it - it just plays in windows media player... i can't find it downloaded on my laptop anywhere...

i looked on you tube and can't find it there.... i want a copy of this song badly.

Glad you enjoyed it! Just right-click on the download link then choose Save target as or Save link as.

Giovanni

Group:Members

Posted Today, 12:58 PM

dazparra, on 25 February 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Glad you enjoyed it! Just right-click on the download link then choose Save target as or Save link as.

**this doesn not download the song, only the link to the song ie. u cannot listen to it unless u are online and don't have a copy of it on your computer.

I imagined it slower, at more of a marching pace. Decent rendition none the less, but i think a slower more cadenced version would be much better for mat/ the band

Well looking at Celtic Football Club in Glasgow as an example the fans sing the Irish song Fields of Athenry. Rather than sing you can say it's more "chanted". But on YouTube you'll easily find the song actually sung, accompanied with instruments, etc. So even though like you I always imagined the soldiers using it as a marching tune, I could just as easily imagine them using this version in the taverns of the land, around their camp-fires after victory in small groups, etc.

Durinax, remember that it is described as being deceptively cheerful. Also, think of how it spread through the Band like wildfire. A catchy tune like this would do just that, not a march. After all, Mat was the one who taught it to everyone! Could you picture Mat singing a slower march? More in character for him to sing this, especially with the whistling.

As another poster said, they probably sang this in taverns and around campfires.

I have a couple of comments regarding this version of Jak O' The Shadows..First, I like this one much better than either Argenstock's (don't care for the singer's voice) or the other version (Better, but with too much intrument and not enough voice). Second, there is another verse to the song that needs to be included..I think it goes something like this: "We'll toss the dice however they fall, and snuggle the girls be they short or tall, then follow young Mat whenever he calls to dance with Jak of The Shadows."

Beyond that omission, this is the best version I've heard yet.

I also like Mat's memory of the last time it was sung as some warrior band mad their last charge against Hawkwing's encirling army..the mental image of a group of calvary defiantly howling those lyriics as they charged stuck with me.

Regarding the question about were there any other songs..Well, there's "To Be A Soldier", "Tinker in the Kitchen" and "Coming home From Tarwin's Gap", to name a few. The last two, at least are available to your viewing and listening plasure on You Tube (Sung by two women who do a great job..Tarwin's Gap, in particular, is beautiful. Just head on over and type in Tarwin's Gap and you'll see what I mean.

tud

For a singing song in an era with no instrumental accompaniment (or not much), I think the first one pauses too much between the lines. This isn't what I'd image happening when the band of the red hand is singing the song.

I'd think the civil war song is closest to the intent of the song as sung by the band while recruiting though the Irish/Scottish (?) version might work if he presented it without instrumentation.

Archived