DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A guide Book To England/UK for Meesh

Talya

Meesh, is hoping to come over the pond to good ole England. So we need to give her a guide book. So for all those that live in the UK lets find some sites for her to visit, a few pictures would be good and few explainations.

If you'not from the UK and have visited, then what did you enjoy. If you have never been to these green and pleasant lands, but had spots you would love to visit put them down here too..

I'll start:

Stonehenge, I love this place, you can see it from the A303 (one of the main routes up to London from where I live) and it is lovely to see. It is 5000years old, and to think some of these huge stones were transported all the way from Wales.

stonehenge3.jpgIt doesn't look much, but it is quite impressive. you are no longer allowed to go up to the stones so you have to follow the route around it, but you can get some head phones that will tell you all about them.

Close to Stonehenge is Avebury where there are some more stones:

avebury-1.jpgthese you can walk round and it is intermingles with the local village, they are a lot more spaced out, and make a nice walk.

So there are two to start

*huggles Talya* Aww, thanks for starting a thread for me! This should be really helpful! :laugh:

*huggles everyone else*

Thanks to all those who have contributed so far, and all those who do contribute! :happy:

@Tiink--My trip is supposed to be around September/October. I don't have enough details yet to give exact dates. XD But I'm estimating leaving mid to late September and coming back in early or mid October. :happy:

@Rey--WELL, I had a default 3-week-trip itinerary recommended by the guy whose guidebook I bought (Rick Steves; he has a great website and everything for traveling to and in Europe), which only focused on England, but I'm considering using a different one I found on his site that extends into Scotland and Wales a bit. It's designed to be done by car, so he has recommendations for those using public transport only, so some stuff I might cut out, but this might be the general gist of it:

itin_gb.gif

Day 1: Arrive in London, bus to Bath (sleep in Bath)

Day 2: Bath (sleep in Bath)

Day 3: Pick up car, Avebury, Wells, Glastonbury (sleep in Bath)

Day 4: South Wales, St. Fagans, Tintern Abbey (sleep in Chipping Campden)

Day 5: Explore the Cotswolds, Blenheim (sleep in Chipping Campden)

Day 6: Stratford, Warwick, Coventry (sleep in Ironbridge Gorge)

Day 7: Ironbridge Gorge, Ruthin banquet (sleep in Ruthin or Conwy)

Day 8: Highlights of North Wales (sleep in Ruthin or Conwy)

Day 9: Liverpool, Blackpool (sleep in Blackpool)

Day 10: South Lake District (sleep in Keswick area)

Day 11: North Lake District (sleep in Keswick area)

Day 12: Drive up west coast of Scotland sleep in Oban)

Day 13: Highlands, Loch Ness, Scenic Highlands Drive (sleep in Edinburgh)

Day 14: Edinburgh (sleep in Edinburgh)

Day 15: Edinburgh (sleep in Edinburgh)

Day 16: Hadrian's Wall, Beamish, Durham's Cathedral and evensong (sleep in Durham)

Day 17: North York Moors, York, turn in car (sleep in York)

Day 18: York (sleep in York)

Day 19: Early train to London (sleep in London)

Day 20: London (sleep in London)

Day 21: London (sleep in London)

Day 22: Whew!

It entails, a few pubs...that you go to in turn to try out their wares... >.>

I think the crawl bit comes in because after you have visited a few, you maybe crawling to the next one...a bit like me on Thursday night, actually I didn't crawl, but thought I might fall down a few times...haha

Bath is a lovely place to start...I love that city, you have Roman baths there.

A little word of warning about Public transport, check carefully who you go with, there are some good and cheap coaches out there. Forget the trains...expensive way to go. Glastonbury is a great place if you like mystic and King Arthur...

:laugh: I don't think a pub crawl would be my thing, as I don't drink. Although it would probably be fun to tag along and watch the rest of you. >.> :tongue:

Thanks for the tip about public transport; what would be a good way to make sure I'm taking decent/good/not terrible transport? Would asking around be a good idea? :laugh:

Yay! :laugh: Maybe if you're lucky we'll let you hang out with us. :wink:

I have to do some more research if I'm gonna adopt this new base itinerary. :laugh: Just to know what to expect. Actually....

Tell me about Edinburgh. :laugh: What's so great about it, what should I do there, what's your favorite thing...et cetera!

If you put together a mini convention or a meeting I will be there!

I love London. Last time I was there I went to The Globe and that was interesting. St Paul´s Cathedral was great the first time but last time I was there I got disappointed. It felt too commercial. There is a market, that I can´t remember the name of right now, that is great. (Camden?) There is something for everyone in London.

I also loved Edinburgh and the northern part of Scotland. There a lot of beautiful castles. Aberdeen was nice. Didn´t like Glasgow but maybe I didn´t visit the right places.

Very jealous. Loved the couple of days I spent in London. Just rode around on the underground and walked about all over. Did go to Buckingham for the changing of the guard. Loved the green parks and the great buildings around there. Walked around Tower Bridge and and Tower of London but didn't take the tours as the wait was like 3 hours. We had a great time just meeting people and hanging out. That was over 20 years ago so I don't really remember many details. It was very enjoyable and I would love to go back someday.

• 2 weeks later...

I live next too Beamish and 3miles from Durham so can show you around the place if you make trip, crash in my spare room.

Replying to this before I totally forget again! :laugh:

That would be awesome, Pale. Thanks! :happy:

If you put together a mini convention or a meeting I will be there!

I love London. Last time I was there I went to The Globe and that was interesting. St Paul´s Cathedral was great the first time but last time I was there I got disappointed. It felt too commercial. There is a market, that I can´t remember the name of right now, that is great. (Camden?) There is something for everyone in London.

I also loved Edinburgh and the northern part of Scotland. There a lot of beautiful castles. Aberdeen was nice. Didn´t like Glasgow but maybe I didn´t visit the right places.

It would be so cool if you could make it too!

And thanks for the thoughts on London and Scotland. I'm taking notes so this is really helpful! :laugh:

Very jealous. Loved the couple of days I spent in London. Just rode around on the underground and walked about all over. Did go to Buckingham for the changing of the guard. Loved the green parks and the great buildings around there. Walked around Tower Bridge and and Tower of London but didn't take the tours as the wait was like 3 hours. We had a great time just meeting people and hanging out. That was over 20 years ago so I don't really remember many details. It was very enjoyable and I would love to go back someday.

London does sound amazing. I'll probably have to try and go back someday. XD

Last time I was in London I forced myself to walk over the Tower Bridge. I´m a bit afraid of hights. lol (I just couldn´t force myself to cross the Millennium Bridge.)

Oooh, I'm not too fond of heights either--I'll have to check those out to see if I can manage them, cos there are amazing views from high up. :happy:

Archived