DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How the White Tower can use Blood knife Ter'angreal

Smittyphi

Tthe seanchan have not practiced overly much with healing and in no case can I imagine the need to heal a bloodknife as their purpose in existance is to die after they've completed their assignment. Also the fact that the bloodknives perish is a clear indicator that the seanchan do NOT want them around to tell of the killing. given the devious nature of their politics it seems prudent. im sure given time enough avi and elayne could figure something out but other then the obfuscating abilities applied with the Ter'Angreal the bloodknives already appear to have warder like abilities.

At the very least, I'm sure Nynaeve would be able to figure out a way to heal it if no one else.

I'm thinking more that Gawyn is going to use one, and find out that the extra strength and whatnot from the warder bond is going to counteract the detrimental effects of the ring. Until he finds this out, and thinks it'll keep him safe enough to use all three rings at once. Which it won't. Which will kill him.

Kind of redundant, no? Warder cloaks are more efficient

Please expound on what you mean by "more efficient."

Going by the definition of efficiency

"Achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense."

Ignoring the brutally shortened span of life for a moment...

Disorients the target rather than simply trying to hide from them, an ability that is somewhat wasted on a rampaging warder. Or to put it in another way, a berserker gives away their position by their fighting style, and having a darker shadow impedes that. Bloodknives have the critical thinking facilities (i.e. not deathlusted by their Aes Sedai) necessary not to give away that position.

I kinda like the thought that the warder super healing might balance out with the life-draining of the rings.

Kinda like how wolverine was the only one who could survive the original adamantium infusing process because of his super-fast healing.

Though Elayne might just tweak them so they work without sacrifice. Seems bland enough to be true.

It seemed like Gawyn was keeping those spare rings simply as trophies rather than anything else. Besides, the real question is could those rings even be properly copied? Since the ring's activation required the blood-knives's blood, doesn't that mean that the ring is essentially "bound" to the user? It kinda seems silly to send out a kamikaze fighter who's power can be eventualy hijacked by your enemy.

Disorients the target rather than simply trying to hide from them, an ability that is somewhat wasted on a rampaging warder. Or to put it in another way, a berserker gives away their position by their fighting style, and having a darker shadow impedes that. Bloodknives have the critical thinking facilities (i.e. not deathlusted by their Aes Sedai) necessary not to give away that position.

What if the bloodknife were to be used when the warders "feel" their Aes Sedai die? Could you possible instill the discipline into the warder so that they know they will die, with or without the ring, and can do more "good" in wreaking vengeance if they can use their warder training and be more effective kamikazes?

What if the bloodknife were to be used when the warders "feel" their Aes Sedai die? Could you possible instill the discipline into the warder so that they know they will die, with or without the ring, and can do more "good" in wreaking vengeance if they can use their warder training and be more effective kamikazes?

Throwing away Warders is pretty stupid in any fashion. Save them, get them to re-bond a new AS.

Throwing away Warders is pretty stupid in any fashion. Save them, get them to re-bond a new AS.

In a perfect world, sure but sometimes you don't have time to do that. Specifically, there was nothing that could be done when Elayne was taken and the other 2 AS and Black Ajah were killed. Birgitte could not have saved the Warders. However, Warders who wanted revenge but knew they could accomplish it more effective by being able to hide in the shadows for a short while could be effective.

OK how about this: what if the white tower could learn how to reverse engineer the various powers granted by the bloodknife rings individually? All these powers put into a single ter'angreal may be one thing, but what about a bunch of diluted ones might just do the trick. It may not be perfect but it gets the job done without costing lives.

Am I the only one who hopes that the Bloodknife Rings life-draining effects can't be healed by the Warder Bond or any other methods? It seems as if Gawyn is potentially being set up to use the Rings during the final book, and it would be very anti-climactic for him to be saved so easily. I don't actually mind Gawyn that much, but the light side needs to suffer some casualties otherwise nobody is going to be able to take the Last Battle seriously. It would be ironic if Gawyn choosing to protect Egwene resulted in his violent death rather than him dying of old age as per Egwene's Dream. Considering RJ's extreme reluctance of killing off anyone major thus far, however, I have the sad feeling that he is going to survive.

Yeah but they aren't actually weapons. Warder cloaks offer an advantage in battle but are permitted by the oaths. These ter'angreal are no different.

Warder cloaks are not used specifically to kill though. You can scout, and have fun hurting people's eyes. Unless you strangle someone with them I guess. I supposed rings aren't either, but their use is specifically to aid in the killing of people.

Gentling also kills the 'host'

and the rings themselves aren't weapons like swords - not many people would be expected to kill with a ring

Gentling -can- kill the host, yes, but it is not a foregone conclusion.

As for not expecting people to kill with a ring, that's why it makes a great weapon. Much like poisons, it doesn't resemble a conventional weapon. As such, it's conceivable that the Aes Sedai could formulate a believable argument against the rings as a weapon that would prevent them from running afoul of their oaths. I wouldn't agree with it, but it isn't the only possible loophole in the oaths, because the oaths have serious shortcomings.

gentling/stilling/severing is a weave, not a terangreal. Though there is a terangreal that does it.

The action can eventually cause death of the one it is done to; yet that is a side effect.

Not sure if it could cause death of the one that does it.

Do not know whether the terangreal requires channeling or not.

Another interesting question is which Aes Sedai would be willing to use these rings or let others use them in their name?

Personally I think if anyone who serves the White Tower were to become bloodknives, it's those naive to the point of suicidal younglings. I could see the white sisters and maybe some of the green capable of making this sacrifice.

Archived